Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

September 6, 2011 Day One of Sixth Grade *Credit for time spent during “Annie” 6/11/11 thru 7/16-11 = 10 days of school *


September 6, 2011 Day One of Sixth Grade  *Credit for time spent during “Annie” 6/11/11 thru 7/16-11 = 10 days of school *





Your first big project of the year is completing a digital scrapbook of your experience with Maine State Music Theater’s 2011 summer production of “Annie.” For your first assignment, write a long, detailed, “dramatic” blog summarizing the audition, rehearsals, cast members, and show (try for at least 50 sentences or writing straight for at least a half an hour—spelling and complete sentences count!)

As your mother and your teacher, I saw how much hard work, dedication, and focused learning you accomplished during the six weeks you spent working as “Duffy” in MSMT’s production of “Annie.” By the first of next week, you will have completed and posted this project detailing your learning experience and you are credited with ten full days of school.

Sophie’s Blog:

On a cold Saturday morning in March * I (Sophie Calderwood) got up at six 0’clock in the morning with my friend Sadie Pressman and we went to Saturday morning ice skating practice. I only stayed for about half of the day because this Saturday was not like any other Saturday morning. This Saturday morning was the day that I would be trying out for* Annie at Maine State Music Theatre! So my mom picked me up half way through the 2nd session and we drove to the MSMT rehearsal hall. We were the third person to get there which was good because there would be eighty-nine other girls coming and there wouldn’t be a place to park! So anyway I walked in with my mom and I was sent off with the two other girls in to the rehearsal room. I waited patiently by myself until I saw one of my really good friends Erin come in (I was in a play with her during Christmas). We stuck together the whole audition but unfortunately she got kicked out with twenty-eight other girls. The next part of the audition was where we had to sing individually.* I was called in pretty in to the room pretty early.* I walked in with my*sheets *I was super nervous my heart sounded like a stampede of angry cattle! I started to sing* Tomorrow, but I messed up on some of the LYRICS! What if that was my big chance… gone! I walked out of the room sure I wasn’t going to make it,* I started to cry. After everyone else had their chance to sing Steve Peterson, (The Executive Director), walked out and he said he would like to see a group of people and I was one of them. I thought* is this a good or a bad thing?! Then I overheard him say to the other girls in the waiting room, I’m sorry but we just don’t have room in the play for so many talented girls…*And I started to smile. I felt bad for the other little girls though. Steve then started putting us as different orphans and having us run the first scene. I got *put as Kate during the auditions. After that part he kicked *8 other girls out and 9 of us were still in… including me! He said to us congratulations girls… you are the orphans in* Annie!! (Unless there are problems with communications or other things)*par* I was so happy I went home and called everyone I knew so they could start making plans to come and see meJ. After that I worked really hard on school until the first day of rehearsal’s…* June eleventh. The first day of rehearsal’s* I was SO excited I was jumping out of my seat! I went inside the rehearsal hall that morning I got put next to Amberly Shea and Emma Joanis. I started talking to Emma and we started becoming really good friends. Then we met our director…*Marc Robin. He was super nice. We ran through the first scene and he decided to put us as the characters we played* Katie Boston as Molly, Lexi Stevenson as Pepper, Emma Joanis as August, Amberly Shea as Summer, Gina Pardi as Kate, Stephanie Craven as June, Lynnea Harding as July, Rachel Friedman as Tessie, and me Sophie Calderwood as Duffy! We then learned the music to* It’s a Hard Knock Life and then the dance and the first scene. We went into the waiting room and we met Lauren Weintraub or* Annie. We then met the rest of the cast, they were all SO nice. We were then introduced to Katie Foster/ Our Child Strangler… I mean Wrangler! J Little did we know that day that Katie would spend every minute of that *6 weeks with us and she would become one of our best friend adults! Little did I know that day that Lauren Weintraub and Emma Joanis would become my BEST FRIENDS by the end of this whole experience. *par*The next day we went to rehearsal I invited Lauren and Emma over to my house for some swimming and stuff* they accepted when we played truth or dare in the hot tub that’s when we all realized that we cliqued, we fit in together, we COULD be best friends. *(par)*During rehearsals the three of us hung out together and I invited them over to my house a couple of times we went to Emma’s house a couple of times and Lauren’s apartment. We rehearsed for* 2 and ½ weeks and by the end of it having a great show! All the orphans loved the rest of the cast especially Charis Leos who plays Miss Hannigan and David Girolmo who plays Daddy Warbucks. We finally got to tech rehearsal, It was so cool going in to the theater and seeing where the actors that I’ve watched for 5 years hang out and stuff.** I saw everyone in their costumes and realized how great this show is going to be! I watched most of tech rehearsal with the rest of the orphans *EVERYONE DID AMAZING! *par*Preview night was fantastic and then came opening night…* Actually none of us were really nervous on opening night! And good thing because there was nothing to worry about opening night was fantastic! *par*Before the opening night performance *All the orphans and I went to Scarlet Begonia’s and met a waiter named Kevin. Then we went to the Gelato Fiasco and sang and danced all down main street telling people to come see *Annie at MSMT!!! After the show on opening night we had our amazing cast party when photography genius Greg Weintraub did a photo shoot with all the orphans! *par*The next night was amazing as well! My triplet cousins arrived from Virginia to see me as well as three other families. After the show Lauren invited me for some Gelato which was super nice. The next day I invited Emma and Lauren to Coffin pond. We went a ton of times together! *par**All of the shows afterwards were fantastic 24 amazing shows!* The crowd loved each one! But they especially loved closing night which was one of the saddest nights of our life. The best show was closing night *we gave it our all! It was really tough to think that when I was sitting in my bed at the beginning of the show that it would be the last time. After the show I started to cry,* We said good bye to Katie and took some pictures with her. Katie promised us she wouldn’t cry but she did. On our way to the Brunswick* inn across the street I stopped Lauren in her tracks and said, “Lauren Thank you for being there for me through this whole experience, you are my best friend” and I started to say more when Lauren started to cry and she gave me a BIG HUG! I did the same to Emma later. *par*This whole *Annie experience was super amazing nothing in my whole life could ever amount to this. I am sure all of the other orphans feel the same way. Probably the best thing of this experience though*, is finding best friends as wonderful as Lauren Weintraub and Emma Joanis. P.S later that closing night, night we had a party at our house and we got the cops called on us J



*Sophie, this year your blog posts will be corrected and edited for grammar. Throughout your journal you see * marks that indicate a grammar mistake—it may be punctuation (most of them are), paragraph indentations, or rewriting a few sloppy sentences. I have printed out a larger, well-spaced copy of your post and together we will talk about the * marks and how to best correct your mistakes. Below is another copy, which you will correct and post. My best intention for you is that within a few weeks of posting, the * marks will decrease and you will have learned how to self-edit and correct.

Please add a paragraph about Emily’s visit to see Annie and meet the cast. Also add a few sentences about Meredith’s visit!

Good luck & good job with your “Annie” journal—very well written and exciting!



Sincerely,

Duffy

On a cold Saturday morning in March, I (Sophie Calderwood) got up at six o’clock in the morning with my friend Sadie Pressman and we went to Saturday morning ice skating practice. I only stayed for about half of the day because this Saturday was not like any other Saturday morning. This Saturday morning was the day that I would be trying out for Annie at Maine State Music Theatre! So my mom picked me up half way through the second session and we drove to the MSMT rehearsal hall. We were the third person to get there which was good because there would be eighty-nine other girls coming and there wouldn’t be a place to park! So anyway I walked in with my mom and I was sent off with the two other girls in to the rehearsal room. I waited patiently by myself until I saw one of my really good friends Erin come in, (I was in a play with her during Christmas). We stuck together the whole audition but unfortunately she got kicked out with twenty-eight other girls. The next part of the audition was where we had to sing individually. I was called in to the room pretty early. I walked in with my music sheets, I was super nervous my heart sounded like a stampede of angry cattle! I started to sing “Tomorrow,” but I messed up on some of the LYRICS! What if that was my big chance… gone! I walked out of the room sure I wasn’t going to make it,* I started to cry. After everyone else had their chance to sing Steve Peterson, (The Executive Director), walked out and he said he would like to see a group of people and I was one of them. I thought, is this a good or a bad thing?! Then I overheard him say to the other girls in the waiting room, I’m sorry but we just don’t have room in the play for so many talented girls, and I started to smile. I felt bad for the other little girls though. Steve then started putting us as different orphans and having us run the first scene. I got put as Kate during the auditions. After that part he kicked eight other girls out and nine of us were still in… including me! He said to us congratulations girls… you are the orphans in Annie!! (Unless there are problems with communications or other things)

I was so happy I went home and called everyone I knew so they could start making plans to come and see meJ. After that I worked really hard on school until the first day of rehearsals, June eleventh the first day of rehearsals. I was SO excited I was jumping out of my seat! I went inside the rehearsal hall that morning I got put next to Amberly Shea and Emma Joanis. I started talking to Emma and we started becoming really good friends. Then we met our director, Marc Robin. He was super nice. We ran through the first scene and he decided to put us as the characters we played, Katie Boston as Molly, Lexi Stevenson as Pepper, Emma Joanis as August, Amberly Shea as Summer, Gina Pardi as Kate, Stephanie Craven as June, Lynnea Harding as July, Rachel Friedman as Tessie, and me Sophie Calderwood as Duffy! We then learned the music to “It’s a Hard Knock Life” and then the dance and the first scene. We went into the waiting room and we met Lauren Weintraub or “Annie”. We then met the rest of the cast, they were all SO nice. We were then introduced to Katie Foster/ Our Child Strangler… I mean Wrangler! J Little did we know that day that Katie would spend every minute of that six weeks with us and she would become one of our best friend adults! Little did I know that day that Lauren Weintraub and Emma Joanis would become my BEST FRIENDS by the end of this whole experience.

The next day we went to rehearsal I invited Lauren and Emma over to my house for some swimming and stuff. They accepted when we played truth or dare in the hot tub that’s when we all realized that we cliqued, we fit in together, we COULD be best friends.

During rehearsals the three of us hung out together and I invited them over to my house a couple of times we went to Emma’s house a couple of times and Lauren’s apartment. We rehearsed for two and a half weeks and by the end of it having a great show! All the orphans loved the rest of the cast especially Charis Leos who plays Miss Hannigan and David Girolmo who plays Daddy Warbucks. We finally got to tech rehearsal, It was so cool going in to the theater and seeing where the actors that I’ve watched for 5 years hang out and stuff. I’ve been going to Maine State Music Theatre for 5 years. I saw everyone in their costumes and realized how great this show is going to be! I watched most of tech rehearsal with the rest of the orphans “EVERYONE DID AMAZING!”

 Preview night was fantastic and then came opening night, Actually none of us were really nervous on opening night! And good thing because there was nothing to worry about opening night was fantastic!

Before the opening night performance, all the orphans and I went to Scarlet Begonia’s and met a waiter named Kevin. Then we went to the Gelato Fiasco and sang and danced all down main street telling people to come see  Annie at MSMT!!! After the show on opening night we had our amazing cast party when photography genius Greg Weintraub did a photo shoot with all the orphans!

The next night was amazing as well! My triplet cousins arrived from Virginia to see me as well as three other families. After the show Lauren invited me for some Gelato which was super nice. The next day I invited Emma and Lauren to Coffin pond. We went a ton of times together!

All of the shows after opening night were fantastic 24 amazing shows!  And the crowd loved each one of them! But they especially loved closing night which was one of the saddest nights of our life. The best show was closing night actually because we gave it our all! It was really tough to think that when I was sitting in my orphan bed at the beginning of the show that it would be the last time. After the show I started to cry, we said good bye to Katie and took some pictures with her. Katie promised us she wouldn’t cry but she did. On our way to the Brunswick Inn across the street I stopped Lauren in her tracks and said, “Lauren Thank you for being there for me through this whole experience, you are my best friend” and I started to say more when Lauren started to cry and she gave me a BIG HUG! I did the same to Emma later.

This whole Annie experience was super amazing nothing in my whole life could ever amount to this. I am sure all of the other orphans feel the same way. Probably the best thing of this experience though, is finding best friends as wonderful as Lauren Weintraub and Emma Joanis.

P.S later that closing night, night we had a party at our house and the cops were called on us J



Sincerely,

Duffy



Skating: 2 hours freestyle practice in Falmouth

Math: 2 pages Sylvan, 2 pages Guinness

Easing back into Math and finishing up the two workbooks from last year.

The main focus on Math this year will be Geometry and learning some math tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment