Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Days 95 & 96


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned Day 95 & 96    February 11 & 12, 2013

1.       Math

a. I learned an arithmatricks to divide by 5: the quick way to divide by 5 is to first multiply the number by 2 then divide the product by 10. Example: 44 ÷ 5, Double the ff. 44 x 2 = 88 Divide the 88 by 10 = 8.8

b. 32 ÷ 5 = 6.4 (32 x 2 = 64 ÷ 10 = 6.4)

c. 18 ÷ 5 = 3.6

d. 27 ÷ 5 = 5.4

e. 61 ÷ 5 = 12.2

f. 49 ÷ 5 = 9.8

g. 84 ÷ 5 = 16.5

 

2. Science

a. I translated an alchemists poem this is the poem before I translated it:

The philosopher, speaketh thus.

Bright glorious king of all this world, O sun,

Whose progeny’s upholder is the moon,

Both whom Priest Mercury does firmly bind,

Unles Dame Venus favour do you find,

Who for your spous Heroic mars hath ta’ne.

Without her aid what ‘ere you do’s in vain.

Jove’s grace neglect not. Saturn old and grey,

In various hews will them himself display,

From black to white, from white again to red,

Mounting on stilts he’el walk till he be dead.

And straight returning into life again

Henceforth in quiet rest he shall remain.

Lady in Greens cry oh my son most dear,

Come Antimony and assist me here.

Come noble salt, come guard and me defend,

That worms of me make not wolful end.

b. Translation:

 The alchemist has this to say:

Gold and silver are bound together with mercury

To make a good result.

In the same way that copper wants to join with iron,

Without using copper, your experiments will have poor results.

Do not forget to experiment using tin.

And lead, which will appear in all different colors.

Black, white, and red. And lead will go from all different forms as well.

Life is against death.

Antimony must help her.

The Philosophers stone,

Will let me live forever.

c. I learned that Gold, Silver, mercury, copper, iron, tin and lead, were all metals that Isaac Newton experimented with in his laboratory.

d. Isaac Newton helped turn alchemy into the new area of science: chemistry.

e. Newton made a list of sins against god: Some of the sins include: using the word (God) openly, Making a mouse trap on Sunday, punching my sister, Calling Dorothy Rose a jade, Squirting water on Sunday, and 45 more.

f. I learned that Newton did not accept the teachings of the Church of England. 

g. Newton did not believe catholic or Christian. He followed the beliefs of an old monk who stated that Jesus was divine but entirely separate from God, to be an Arian, as Newton was, he was a traitor to the established church.

3. History

a. I learned that that the Japanese  internment camps started to be like little towns, thanks to Dottie’s letter, she said that it included: Area A housing, (plus area B and C housing) a post office, a Bank, a recreation center a clinic, a canteen, and the mess hall.

b. By 1942, butter was rationed in the United States. So citizens were forced to use ole, which is a white slab that comes with a packet of orange powder, which is mixed in with the ole to make it look like butter, but according to Louise, it definitely didn’t taste as good.

c. In one of Dottie’s letters, she explained that the Adults got bored at the internment camps too, and they formed clubs and classes. Dottie’s dad was asked to teach bookkeeping which would earn him $8 a month, while in the towns a bookkeeper would make about $85 a month.

d. Young men laying pipe would earn$12 a month, and the doctors would only earn $19 a month which is so awful.

e. I learned that part of the reason of gas rationing is also about conserving rubber for tires. Japan took over all the plantations in the Dutch East Indies, where the US bought most of its rubber. So that’s why there was a big push to donate anything rubber- old tires, raincoats, garden houses, and bathing caps!

f. I learned that if a Japanese person got too close to the fence, that they would get shot, This is such an awful part of our history.

g. Louise got the opportunity to visit Dottie at the internment camp, but only from different sides of a barbed wire fence with army men surrounding them with large guns pointing at both families.

 

4. Language

a. In Spanish today I learned some food words: los sandwiches, (sandwiches, las naranjas (oranges) las papitas fritas (potato chips) pescado (fish) and more.

b. I learned how to say “Do you like bananas?” in Spanish today:  ?Te gustan los platanos?

c. Then I learned how to reply to that question by saying: Si, me gusta for yes I do and No,No me. For no, no I don’t.

d. I learned to say I like huevos. (I like eggs.) You can say: “Me gusta los huevos.”

e. I played a game with Gama today where I looked at flashcard pictures for food and said the question. “?Te gustan los cramelos?” Do you like candy. And she answered no,no me. We did this a bunch of other foods as well.

f. I did a puzzle where there were four lunchboxes for four people and they were described in Spanish. I matched each lunchbox to the correct person. Example: A Roberto le gustan los sandwiches y el pastel. No le gustan los huevos. Roberto had a sandwich, a cake, and no eggs. He had the yellow lunchbox!

g. I practiced conjugating the verb Estar:

Estar to be

Estoy I am

Estas you are

Es you are

Es he/she/it is

Esmos we are

Estois you all are

Estan you all are

Estan they are

 

5. Reading

a. In reading today, I read a story about Abraham Lincoln’s real dream that he had and Ward Hill Lamon wrote down just a few days before the assassination,. It was about the day of the funeral of Abraham Lincoln, he had been killed in an assassination, this is so weird because Lincoln actually was killed in assassination

b. I learned that the term, “Foreshadowing” is an indication of something that is going to happen. In Lincoln’s dream he foreshadowed his own assassination.

c. How long before the assassination did Lincoln have this dream? About ten days.

d. Which elements of this dream indicate foreshadowing? Lincoln sees a corpse which soldiers tell him is the body of the president who was killed by an assassin.

e. Dreams are one way of foreshadowing, some other types of foreshadowing are: someone feeling a sudden chill right before hearing bad news, a dog barking for no reason, and a mother warning a child to dress warmly for school.

f. The ghost of hamlets father warns Hamlet about his uncle, is a foreshadowing event in fiction.

g. I wrote the first few sentences of a story about a boy who becomes lost in a snow storm.

Jacob was coming home from his Grandma’s house in the middle of a record breaking blizzard in Maine 2013. As soon as he stepped out of his Grandmother’s house he felt a sudden chill, he assumed it was from the cold weather, but he also pictured an image of a black speck of dust on a piece of white paper moving from side to side as if he was lost. But Jacob continued on thinking that it was only a coincidence.

6. Writing

a. In writing today I wrote a paragraph about two characters having a conversation, this is called the Dialogue of a story. So I wrote a scene from the story “My Normal life” between the main character and my character: When I entered into my house, I saw him, “Umm what are you doing here?” I asked. “I needed to talk to you… immediately” he said. We made our way to the back of the room. “So you know that farmers market by Mrs. Refsals house, right?” “ya” I said with a question. “Well the stall that sells brown eggs is run by this man named Jeremiah, who went to grade school with my mom.” Max said. I thought to myself…”And your point is?” but instead I said, “Go on.” “He is actually related to the president!” Max said quite excitedly. “Can you believe it?!” he said one more time since I delayed my answer. “No, no I can’t… who told you this?” I said because I did not believe this story one bit. “Mrs. Refsal!” he said as I watched his eyes go to disappointed. “She was just messing with me wasn’t she…?” he said in a depressed tone of voice. “ya think” I said with a smirk.

 

When I entered into my house, I saw him. “Umm what are you doing here?” I asked.

“I needed to talk to you… immediately” he said.

We made our way to the back of the room. “So you know that farmers market by Mrs. Refsals house, right?”

“ya” I said with a question.

“Well the stall that sells brown eggs is run by this man named Jeremiah, who went to grade school with my mom.” Max said.

 I thought to myself…”And your point is?” but instead I said, “Go on.”

“He is actually related to the president!” Max said quite excitedly. “Can you believe it?!” he said one more time since I delayed my answer.

 “No, no I can’t… who told you this?” I said because I did not believe this story one bit.

“Mrs. Refsal!” he said as I watched his eyes go to disappointed.

“She was just messing with me wasn’t she…?” he said in a depressed tone of voice.

“ya think” I said with a smirk.

7. Art





a. The word Surrealism comes from the French word meaning, “Super realism” I studied the art style Surrealism today.

b. I learned that Surrealists wanted to create art that included your unconscious thoughts and dreams.

c. Surrealists didn’t think much about what they were painting, they preferred to use their imaginations.

d. Some famous Surrealist painters are: Salvador Dali, Spain, 1904- 1989,

Max Ernst, Germany, 1891 – 1976,

Rene Magritte, Belgium, 1898 – 1667

Joan Miro, Spain, 1893 – 1967

Yves Tanguy, France, 1900 – 1955.

e. Some Surrealism characteristics are: the element of surprise,

Free association,

Uncensored thought,

Dreamlike subject matter,

Spontaneous techniques.


f. Max Ernst painting, Forest and Dove, is a good example of surrealism because he used the element of chance, he used the technique, grattage. The random pattern looks like a forest and the shape at the bottom like a cage, by adding a bird in the cage he gave the scene a dreamlike view.

No comments:

Post a Comment