Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Days 11 & 12


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned   September 19 & 20, 2012     Days 11 & 12

1.       Math

a. Vocabulary word: Pizza it’s easy to think of fractions as pizzas, so pizzas are fractions! Mixed numbers are multiple pizzas! Same with improper fractions

b. I know a lot about fractions, but I relearned how to change mixed numbers into improper fractions and vise versa

c. 6 2/3 into an improper fraction is 20/3

d. I learned why improper fractions are like tennis shoes, improper fractions are like tennis shoes because there more practical and used more often, where mixed numbers are like high heels because they’re less common and used for more proper and fancy occasions.

e. I learned that fractions are division problems in disguise!

f. I learned that 8/3 which is an improper fraction is 2 and 2/3

g. I learned how to MAD which is changing improper fractions into mixed numbers, you multiply, add, and the denominator stays the same

2. Science  

a. I learned about the three laws of motion by Isaac Newton today

b. I learned about the first law of motion and I have to simplify it and put it in my own words, the first law of motion means that if you have something that is at rest or lying on the ground it will stay that way until an unbalanced force, or you, picks it up same rule applies to something that is in motion or is moving. It will stay that way until it hits something at rest such as a wall.

c. I learned that the second law of motion means that objects of different mass or weight go at different speeds, say if you have a race between an adult and a child since the child weighs less he will go faster than the adult. But if you are sliding down a slide or traveling down a mountain, then the object or person with more weight will become faster than the child with less weight.

d. This third law is hard to explain but, imagine that you are picking out an outfit for tomorrow; you would lay it out on the floor, but Isaac Newton’s theory says that there is force coming up on the clothes to keep it balanced or else the clothes would just fall through the floor if there wasn’t force.

e. I learned that Isaac Newton’s laws of motion cannot be proved wrong, they are irrefutable, except for in space, where there is no gravity, the laws will not work there.

f. I learned that Isaac Newton experimented his laws of motion with small machines when he was a child.

g. The first law of motion is called inertia

3. History

History Web Quest: Telegraph
1. FTL: http://www.history.com/topics/telegraph
a. who invented the telegraph and when? Samuel Morse invented the telegraph in the 1830’s and 1840’s.
b. Watch Video: The First Telegraph & summarize in at least 3 complete sentences: The telegraph was invented by Samuel Morse in the 1840’s. Instantaneous communication was now possible for the first time. The battery and the electro magnet invented in the early 19th century made the telegraph possible. All you needed to have was a wire stringing from one end to another and electro magnet an one end and an on and off switch at the other. You would use the Morse code to communicate. Morse sent the first telegraph in 1844.

2. FTL: http://www.knowitall.org/kidswork/etv/history/telegraph/index.html
a. What is Morse Code and how is it used?

The Morse code is a code used with the telegraph that contained multiple “dots and dashes” for letters and would be able to spell out words.

b. According to the story, how did Dr. Bell discover the possibility of the telephone?

He discovered it when he was working on a new model of the telegraph and spilled something on his self and called for his assistant who could hear him on the other end.

3. FTL: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1098372877886519003
a. watch video
What are the 7 things you learned?

a. I learned that inventor Dr. Alexander Graham bell discovered the telephone when he was working on a new model of the telegraph and spilled something on his self and called for his assistant who could hear him on the other end.
b. Morse code is a simple way of represent the letters of the alphabet
c. I learned that you can send Morse code by using a flashlight
d. I learned that Samuel Morse went to England to study art and became an excellent naturalism painter!
e. I learned that Samuel Morse’s’ first telegraph message said, “What hath God Wrought?”
f. I learned that SOS in Morse code is three short pulses, for S three long pulses or dashes for O, and again three short pulses for S
g. I learned that In the late 70’s the army used Morse Code to communicate.


a. I learned that inventor Dr. Alexander Graham bell discovered the telephone when he was working on a new model of the telegraph and spilled something on his self and called for his assistant who could hear him on the other end.
b. Morse code is a simple way of represent the letters of the alphabet
c. I learned that you can send Morse code by using a flashlight
d. I learned that Samuel Morse went to England to study art and became an excellent naturalism painter!
e. I learned that Samuel Morse’s’ first telegraph message said, “What hath God Wrought?”
f. I learned that SOS in Morse code is three short pulses, for S three long pulses or dashes for O, and again three short pulses for S
g. I learned that In the late 70’s the army used Morse Code to communicate.

4. Language

a. In this chapter of Latin, Flavia has her twins; the Latin word for twins is Gemini

b. In this chapter of Latin I learned about imperatives; imperatives are commands or orders and they usually have an exclamation point after them, Latin imperatives usually end in va.

c. Vocabulary word: validus, this is a masculine word, it means strong

d. Latin roots, the dog ate your homework? That is not a valid excuse. The Latin root in this sentence is validus

e. I learned that the word stellas is feminine and it is plural and it means stars

f. This roman myth tells about the two grandson twins of the king Numitor and they were sent to live with the wolfs, then were brought back and how Remus one of the brothers was killed, and how Romulus found a city in Italy and named it Rome.

g. Latin sentence,” Is cubiculum pulchra est” my bedroom is beautiful

5. Reading

a. By reading Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, I feel ashamed to be a white person because we treated the blacks so poorly it’s not a nice part of our history.

b. In my reading workbook I learned about a really bad babysitter and what NOT to do when you’re babysitting!

c. I learned that the plant virus known as the potato blight was accidently introduced into the country of Ireland in 1845.

d. By 1851 after the Irish famine, more than a million of the eight million people were dead, and a million and a half more emigrated to North America

e. I learned that full villages were wiped out from starvation

f. The ships that carried immigrants from Ireland to America were called “coffin ships” because so many people died from the journey

g. The Irish famine was the worst European famine of the whole 19th century.

6. Writing

One of my assignments in Shakespeare Daily Spark was to write a paragraph using the phrase from Shakespeare’s As you know it, “we’ve seen better days” in a two paragraph story:

It was time for Lily’s Soccer math. She was ready to win again for her team, she felt refreshed and ready to go. This time the black team was taking on the dreaded red team who was in first grade! Even though Lily’s practice was good, she began growing really tired. Lily was a hard-core player and did whatever she could to get the ball.

And then it was time for the match, Lily was playing against a really good player from team red, the horrifying, number 8! The little stick of dynamite ran right past Lily and scored almost 9 goals! Lily was not happy, so she stepped up her game; she did whatever she could to get that ball. But it was no use against the red team and player number 8. Lily decided at the end of the game and told her team mates that, “we’ve seen better days” but they were going to kick the booty’s of the green team next week!


d. Here is an idea starter for a personal narrative: the most exciting event I’ve ever been at were the State Games of America in Colorado Springs, I won first place when I was 7 and was so excited!

e. The noisiest place I’ve ever been in was in the Astrodome at Canobie Lake Park, That thing was loud! This was another idea starter!

f. The most embarrassing thing that had ever happened to me was in a skating competition I peed my pants because I was so nervous, the worst part is that it was on the ice! Idea starter

g. idea Starter: The quietest place I’ve ever been in was Augusta during testing there are no fans or heat systems in the rink so it was dead silent and nobody could talk.

7. Art—using Name that Style: All About the Isms in Art by Bob Raczka  and Web Quest

a. I learned that naturalism usually has natural scenes or realistic back rounds that help to tell that the painting is naturalism.
b. A lot of European naturalistic paintings of woman doing chores.
c. I learned that naturalism was really popular during the industrial revolution because it reminded people of the real world on the farms and that made people happy.
d. When I look at Monalisa it makes me feel safe and relaxed and I like how she is smiling at me.
e. Pieter Bruegel the Elder’s naturalism painting makes me feel kind of scared and nervous, that man is really creepy!
f. I think that my favorite kind of naturalism art is the one of the scenes in the woods like William Bliss Baker painted.
g. I think that naturalism must have been hard without a model or a mirror because it’s really hard to paint realistic paintings.

Art Styles Web Quest 1
1. Read Intro. of book. What is an ism? One good, complete sentence.

a. An ism is an ending to different art styles such as surrealism or expressionism, almost all art styles and in ism except for one.
2. Read Page 5 Naturalism
a. Explain linear perspective: Linear perspective is a way to make a 2 dimensional painting seem 3D! It is really an optical illusion but artist paint things closer to you larger than things farther away.
3. FTL: http://www.arthistoryrules.com/Visual_Elements/Naturalism.html
a. Search images for these 4 artists: *Copy & Save As one image you like for each artist


Giovanni Bellini
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
Jan van Eyck

Leonardo da Vinci

5. What are 7 aspects of Naturalism
a. I learned that naturalism usually has natural scenes or realistic back rounds that help to tell that the painting is naturalism.
b. A lot of European naturalistic paintings of woman doing chores.
c. I learned that naturalism was really popular during the industrial revolution because it reminded people of the real world on the farms and that made people happy.
d. When I look at Monalisa it makes me feel safe and relaxed and I like how she is smiling at me.
e. Pieter Bruegel the Elder’s naturalism painting makes me feel kind of scared and nervous, that man is really creepy!
f. I think that my favorite kind of naturalism art is the one of the scenes in the woods like William Bliss Baker painted.
g. I think that naturalism must have been hard without a model or a mirror because it’s really hard to paint realistic paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment