Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Days 14 & 15


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned  
September 24 & 25, 2012    Days 14 & 15

1.       Math

a. Math vocabulary: Reciprocals, or as Danika calls them reFLIProcals! A reciprocal is a fraction that is basically flipped upside down.

b. I learned that to make a mixed number into a reciprocal you will have to change the mixed number to an improper fraction by using the MAD face method and then flip the improper fraction over.

c. I learned how to multiply fractions which is really easy because you just have to multiply across the top numerators and then across the bottom denominators then you get your answer

d. 3/8 x 4/6 = 24/18

e. I learned that the numerator is the top number of a fraction and that a denominator is the lower part of a fraction

f. I learned how to divide fractions, you have to turn the second fraction upside down and then multiply, again easy!

g. Reciprocals: 5/6 6/5, 7/2 2/7, 789/4 4/789,

2. Science

a. Imagine you are an organism, within you are overlapping system, systems contain organs each organ is made up of tissues and the basic units of tissues are cells.

b. Let’s say that the overlapping system you chose to look at was the nervous system, the organ you chose to study was the brain, the tissues in the brain are the neural network, made up of neuron cells.

c. If you look at the nerve cell you will see that inside one, you will find organelles, cells with specific jobs, at a smaller level you would find molecules which are made up of atoms bonded together.

d. I learned the 8 levels of organization, the 5 alive are the organism, the system, the organ, the tissue, and the cell, the smallest unit alive.

e. The 3 levels not alive are organelles molecules and Atoms.

f. I learned that you, a human being, are an organism

g. I learned that DNA is a molecule

3. History from Bully For You, Teddy Roosevelt

a. I learned that Teddy Roosevelt was not elected president, but when President McKinley was assassinated Teddy Roosevelt stepped in, the good thing was that a lot of people liked Teddy and wanted him to be president.

b. I learned that Teddy Roosevelt had suffered from asthma during his childhood

c. Theodore Roosevelt was one of three sitting presidents who won the Nobel Peace Prize.

d. The Rough riders were a group of volunteer cavalry that Theodore had formed to fight the war in Cuba. This war was the Spanish-American war. 

e. Teddy had six kids, Alice, Theodore, Kermit, Ethel, Archie, and Quentin.

f. I learned that teddy’s parents sent him off to Maine when he was 12 to live a few years with his cousins.

g. Roosevelt was president and the force behind the completion of the Panama Canal.

 17 year old Teddy  

 Portrait of Theodore

 Soldier Teddy

 Theodore and family

 Theodore

 Teddy when president

 Bully for you, Teddy Roosevelt!

4. Language

a. Latin roots, Vocabulary word:  navigabam, I was sailing. Navigation was extremely dangerous in the ancient world.

b. Latin roots, vocabulary word: maritae. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a long poem by Coleridge.

c. Latin roots, vocabulary word: navis, definition ship. My friend has a successful career as a naval captain.

d. I learned about past tense and what makes a Latin word past tense. To make a Latin word past tense you add sub fix’s for they I we they’re, whoever you’re talking about to BA, navigabam, I was sailing, navigas you were sailing exc.

e. I learned about different endings for verbs, I learned more about infinitives.   

f. I learned that the impersonal verb in this story was, necesse erit tibi which means you will have to

g. I learned about Delphi and Pythia the famous priestess and how Apollo supposedly came down to protect all the people who went to Delphi to ask for help for Pythia was ambiguous.

5. Reading

a. It’s Christmas in Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Cassie and the Logans were very excited about their new clothes and toys, but they’re favorite present was the books that they got, The Three Musketeers and Monte Cristo

b. Cassie was very excited, Papa just got home in time for Christmas and Mr. Morrison was telling Cassie and her family the story about when his family’s house got burnt by the night men and how his parents died.

c. Vampires? Are they real? Not according to Dr. Juan Gomez Alonso. He believes that “vampires” are really victims of a severe rabies virus that was passed around in the 1600s.

d. Early symptoms of the rabies epidemic include irritability and sleeplessness, myths of vampires, sleep during day

e. Rabies victims may have spasm attacks when revealed to mirrors and garlic and other odors

f. Vampires have pale skin, Rabies victims lose all pigment in their bodies

g. Rabies victims seem lifelike when dead still; I thought these comparisons were really cool

6. Writing

a. I learned more about the active voice and how to use the active voice in a personal narrative.

b. I read two different paragraphs about the same story, a thunderstorm and figured out which was written in the passive voice and which was written in the active voice.

c. Then I looked about 4 different sentences about the same exact thing and discovered which two were written in active voice and the others were in passive voice.

d. Then I wrote down a passive voice sentence about a thunderstorm and an active voice sentence about a thunderstorm.

e. I learned that I naturally write in the active voice

f. I learned about active verbs and passive verbs, they are the verbs in passive and active voice sentences that make them passive and active voice sentences.

g. I changed this passive voice sentence to an active voice. Passive: The sky was lit up by lightning, Active: Lightning lit up the sky. The active voice paragraph about the thunder storm was much shorter than the passive voice paragraph because active voice summarizes quickly and erases extra words.

7. Music—Midcoast School of Music, Stephanie Fischer (voice & piano)

a. I had my second voice lesson today; we worked on mostly sight singing, and I also learned how to sing Memory from Cats and I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady.

b. I learned a singing vocabulary word: Crescendo. Crescendo usually means a four beat measure that goes from softer to louder

c. I learned about sight singing and rhythm; I learned that a quarter note is the most common note and it equals one beat

d. The half note is two beats, it looks exactly like a quarter note but it is not filled in

e. A whole note takes up one whole measure if the time signature is 44, the whole note is equal to four beats and it is a big filled in dot.

f. The Eighth note is equal to a half beat and is the standard two quarter notes together.

g. Sol Fej is the note line of do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do, I also learned that the sol in the sol fej line is sol and not so like I thought it was 

No comments:

Post a Comment