Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 13, September 21, 2012


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned  September 21, 2012  Day 13

1.       Math—Roll of Thunder activity Math & Literature
 

A. I deduced that I can walk 3.2 miles in an hour by walking 3 different ways in 1 minute and finding the average time.

B. I surmised that Cassie Logan, who walks an hour to school, probably walks about 3.2 miles every day considering variables of weather, company, physical condition.

C. I walked 3 different ways, briskly, normally, and slowly to help find the average time. I then multiplied the distance of feet for each minute, about 364 feet, by 60 and divided it into 5,280 to estimate the miles I can walk in an hour. For a briskly pace I can walk about 4.14 miles in 1 hour.

D. I figured out that Cassie’s friend, Moe Turner, who has to walk 3.5 hours to school every day walks about 11.35 miles each day, I did this by adding 3.2 3 times plus 1.75 to get 11 miles one way!

E. Some variables that I considered were pavement verses the dirt road, the weight and comfort of a backpack or child that you were carrying, the traffic, and the weather, bad weather might slow people down.

F. Vocabulary word: deduce, which means to conclude with knowledge

G vocabulary word: surmise, supposes that something is true without evidence to confirm.

2. Science—A Crash Course:  Forces and Motion with Max Axiom, Super Scientist

a. Rollercoaster brakes are powered by friction.

b. On a rollercoaster, the bar digging into your stomach is inertia, it keeps you at rest.

c. If you were in a pool and wanted to jump off a raft, you would be performing Newton’s 3rd Law. Your jump is the action and the raft moving backward is the reaction.

d. Gravity is the centripetal force that keeps astronauts and their spacecraft in orbit around the Earth.

e. Bumper cars are a fun way to experience action and reaction.

f. A merry-go-round use centripetal force to keep riders moving in circles.

G. I learned that weight is different than mass. Weight is determined by gravity’s pull on an object. Each planet in our solar system has a different gravitational pull,. If you traveled to a planet such as Mars and you weighed 100 pounds on Earth, you would weigh 38 pounds on Mars but your mass would be the same.

3. Current Events—Web Search www.cnn.com

a. Apparently the KFC’s in Pakistan are being closed down because of an attack on one of their restaurants in Lebanon last week. My opinion: I think this was a good idea because they don’t want anyone to get hurt.

b. The new iPhone 5 came out today and in Sydney Australia many Apple fans are super excited! Some people were in line for over 24 hours just to be the first to get the new phone. My opinion: I think that this is somewhat necessary I mean because this phone has holographic features and all but over 24 hours is a little much to wait in line just for a phone

c. In Florida, A 66 year old man was trimming his oak tree next to a swamp when his Boston terrier got a little too close to the water. The man could see the tail of the alligator that was about to nibble on the dog. The man belly flopped in the swamp and wrestled the 7 foot gator and saved himself and his dog. My Opinion: I thought that this was a little extreme for a 66 year old man but sweet, the man got a wound on his hand and his leg from bite marks of the alligator.

d. In Kenya, on a Safari, A cheetah leaped onto a safari car and perched there for forty five minutes. The guides named her Rita the Cheetah and she is now famous. My Opinion: Ahhh that would be so scary. But Rita the cheetah is only one of many stories of cheetahs leaping on to Safari cars and thankfully, Rita was potty trained and where some others were not!!! GROSS!

e. Wal-Mart stopped selling Amazon kindles. Why: They were not selling well and they don’t have enough money to keep them in the store. My Opinion: WHAT! Amazon is so much better than iTunes and the kindle fires and kindles are great, more than half my friends like Amazon kindle better that apple iPods.

f. A waitress in London earns 1,000 dollars an hour as Kate Middleton look-alike! My Opinion: Ha-ha this one’s funny I think that she is kind of taking advantage of the people thought because she doesn’t really look exactly like Kate Middleton in fact I don’t think she looks like her much at all.

g. Fairytale Disney house is for sale for 1.45 million dollars! My Opinion: Disney is my favorite place in the world so this Disney fairytale mansion is my kind of place to live, I absolutely love it!

4. Language—Latin Vocabulary insert

a. I learned that homo, means human being, its homonis if plural and it is a masculine noun.  Sofia is homa est. Sophie is a human being

b. I learned that Quintilis, which is Latin for July was renamed Iulius in 44 BCE in honor of Julius Ceaser. Sorer prognatus in Quintilis est. My sister was born in July.

c. I learned that desidous means lazy in Latin, it is an adjective, and it is masculine.  On Pluvia dies desidous est. On rainy days I’m lazy.

d. I learned that careo means to be without, it is a verb and it is feminine. Sofia is careo coniux. Sophie is without a husband.

e. I learned that facile means easily, it is neither masculine nor feminine because it is an adverb.  Coactum Latina is facile to est. learning Latin is easy for me.

f. I learned that aestas means summer in Latin its feminine and it is a season. Amare Aestas est. I like summer a lot.

g. I learned that ut lubet means please in Latin. Ut lubet monile est. May I please have a necklace.

5. Reading

a. This riddle was in my critical thinking book, see if you can get the answer, “I am what poor people have and what rich people need. I am what blind people see and deaf people hear. I am what brave people fear and what kind people hate. And though hateful people love me, only the biggest fools really know me. What am I?

b. I learned the answer to the riddle up above; I think it helps to think of a word that is repeated in every statement to get the answer.

c. I learned about the difference between dugouts, canoes, and kayaks.

d. I learned that the word canoe comes from the Arawaks, people who were native to the Caribbean Islands, although their canoes are known as dugouts which were made by trees, and burned to make the inside. They were paddled by two people. 

e. Kayaks are another form of canoes developed by the Intuits. The kayak was made from bone and covered with seal skin. Ewww! This was made for only one passenger.

f. I made a Venn diagram explaining the differences between the dugout and the kayak and also what they have in common.

g. I learned that the kayak and the dugout are both types of canoes, stable water transportation.

6. Writing

a. The active voice occurs when the subject performs the action; the active voice is more commonly used in writing

b. I learned that in the passive voice, the subject of the sentence is acted upon by another subject; was is a key word to figuring out the passive voice sentence

c. Passive voice sentence: The exam was administered by the teacher.  Changed to Active voice: The teacher administered my exam. I felt excited about my test results.

d. PV: Georgia’s outfit was chosen by the saleswoman. AV: The Saleswoman chose Georgia’s outfit. Although, Georgia didn’t like the sparkly outfit.

e. PV: The city was invaded by barbarians. AV: The barbarians invaded the city. Johnny felt scared of the mean barbarians.

f. My writing workbook explains transition words. I learned that some common transition words are after, later, meanwhile, before, next, so, during.

g. Common transition words that I use when I am writing are as soon as, when, so.

7. Theater—videographer 
 

a. I got a free app on my iPod that allows me to make different shots and use different effects

b. I used Lily and Owyn and they chose a song, then I chose the different effects and what they did for movements

c. I learned how to take different shots and takes

d. I learned how to put in different filters and effects and how to become an amazing director.

e. I learned how to get different views; views from above views from below, straight on views!

f. I learned how to use the video star app

g. I learned that I really like making videos like that.
 

1 comment:

  1. Sophie, I especially enjoyed the video's... you are so creative and lily was great... you are branching out in so many different areas and modalities.... it is a pleasure to read what you have written and follow your logic!

    ReplyDelete