Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Days 1 & 2


September 4 & 5, 2012  Day One and Two

7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned

1.       Math                     

a. Factors are whole numbers that can be divided evenly with no remainders

b. prime numbers are primitive, like monkeys, they’re less evolved

c. factor trees are ways to solve factor problems by using divisibility tricks and making the problems easier

d. If the sum of the digits is divisible by three or nine then you know that those are some factors

e. If the last digit of a number is even then you know two is a factor

f. a prime number is a numbers whose only factor is 1 itself

g. Factors of 1134 are 9 and 2 nine can be divisible by 3 so 3 and 2 are 1134’s factors

2. Science                 

a. All living organisms are made up of cells

b. shapes of living organisms are determined by the organization of tissues

c. micro-organisms are made of one cell               

d. cells are on all living things even as big as whales or as small as fly’s or even barnacles

e. cells are the smallest unit of life

f. There are also living things called micro-organisms that is nearly impossible to see with a naked eye

g. A cell can reproduce itself

3. History

a. The Industrial Era lasted from 1865 to 1915

b. immigrants from all over the world traveled to America looking for jobs

c. The industrial era had some problems though; wooden railroad bridges could not hold the heavy trains and the bridges would collapse, so they made the iron brides to hold the weight

d. A telegraph is how people communicated; using the Morse code the telegraph was a big invention of the industrial era, dot dot dash!

e. The Railroad was a huge invention of the industrial era however in the middle of when they were building it most of the workers went to Nevada to search for gold and they needed to hire Chinese immigrants to finish the job

f. In the time of the industrial era 35$ a month would be a lot of money

g. I learned that at the end of the industrial revolution planes were invented, they came a long way.

4. Language    

a. Ferrarius = blacksmith

b. Flumen = river  

c. I learned about pro-nouns and that Latin doesn’t use pro-nouns as much as English

d. The queen likes to watch equestrian events, equitat means horse in Latin

e. feminine nouns in Latin end in A while masculine nouns end in um

f. I learned about Hercules and hydra the snake headed plant

g. titulus is a masculine noun and it means “inscription”

5. Reading               Link 

a. Roll of Thunder hear my cry’s main character’s names are Cassie, Little man, Stacy, and Christopher John Logan.

b. I learned that Cassie and Little man did not like that the books that they were given from the school because they were not good enough for the whites so now they get handed to the blacks.

c. I learned that you can find the main idea of a story by just reading the first or last paragraph

d. You can usually find a supporting detail in the second or third paragraph of a short story

e. A vocabulary word that I learned from my reading workbook is corridor which means passage

f. Another vocabulary word that I learned is permafrost which is a layer of mixed ice and soil

g. I learned that houses sometimes disappear in Yakutia

6. Writing      Link

a. I learned that the topic sentence of a paragraph or story is in the beginning of a paragraph

b. The other sentences in the paragraph support or include details of the topic sentence

c. The main idea in a paragraph could be in the middle end or the beginning

d. Find the main idea of this paragraph: I was awakened by a bird this morning. It wasn’t the sweet little “chirp, chirp” that you read about in children’s stories. It was the “squawk, squawk” of a crow. He was right outside my window and he was loud let me tell you. Why did he choose my window? What was he squawking about? It was not a good start to my day.

e. when I wrote a paragraph about birds I put my main idea at the end of the paragraph.

f. the supporting sentences of a paragraph usually include one of the words from the topic sentence

g. The main idea is not stated in the beginning paragraph all the time

7. Music     http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049055/   

a. vocabulary word: Soliloquy, A soliloquy can be part of a musical in which the character is talking to his or herself and reveals his thoughts without addressing a listener

b. today we watched musical clips from carousel, there is a lovely duet we watched called “If I loved you”

c. I am going to see Carousel with Grandpa and Grandma in Connecticut on Wednesday

d. Carousel is a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical

e. The dances in Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals are usually long and ballet like

f. I learned that Carousel is set in Boothbay Harbor Maine

g. There is a recurring song in Carousel called you’ll never walk alone it is super pretty and almost all of the cast sings it

1 comment:

  1. "Math Doesn't Suck" is amazing. If I didn't understand anything in class I would just look in that book and bam! I understood it. Probably because it relates everything to shopping haha. Anyways, basically..its amazing.

    ReplyDelete