Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Days 9 & 10


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned  September 17 & 18, 2012   Days 9 & 10

1.       Math

a. The test I took about math says that I am cool as a cucumber! Even if math isn’t my strongest subject I’m comfortable with it

b. I learned about multiples and the Lowest common multiple using the birthday cake method from the last chapter.

c. I learned that 9 and 12’s LCM is 36

d. Today I worked a lot about multiples, I learned that multiples of numbers come SUPER easily to me, I think that is because in fourth grade we spent a lot of time on multiplication and it comes naturally to me

e. I learned that to find multiples of 12 it’s really easy when you add ten to a number like 72 and then add 2 to get 84

f. I learned that 4 and 16’s LCM is 16

g. I learned that 6 and 7’s LCM is 42

2. Science

a. I took a science quiz and got 100 percent!

b. I learned that cells conduct photosynthesis in order to create glucose; this was a question on my quiz

c. I remembered that I learned that the process of photosynthesis is primarily chemical; this was a question on my quiz

d. I remembered that I learned that Cells arrange themselves to form tissues which form organs, and that is why they are all related; this was a question on my quiz

e. I learned the other day that the inner lining of the Aorta’s passageway is made up of endothelial cells; this was a question on my quiz

f. Microorganisms are living things that are unicellular

g. This statement in my quiz was false: “Cells form spontaneously in between other cells”

3. History

a. I learned that for my first history project we are making a can you find industrial revolution book

b. Did you know that the shuttle in a power loom travels about as fast you can throw a softball?!

c. By 1848, each year, the mills of Lowell were producing more than enough cotton to circle the globe twice!

d. I learned about Sarah Bagley who was a reformer in the early nineteenth century America.

e. I learned about Union strikes and how union members would sign petitions and now would pay union fees.

f. Between 15 and 40 workers lived in each boarding house, they would share the beds.

g. Mill girls earned 2.000 to 3.50 dollars each week, the boarding house fee was 1.25

4. Language

a. The surgeon was pleased to see the growth was benign; the man’s life was not in danger, This Latin root is benigna which means kind.

b. I’m collecting for charity and am hoping to get plenty of donations; the Latin word out of the sentence is Dona, which means presents

c. The stain is so bad that I will need a strong detergent to remove it; the Latin word is detergit which means “he cleans”

d. Now that my sister has had her baby, she must take him to the post natal clinic; post in Latin means baby

e. I learned that Roman people celebrated Saturnalia in December, which is Saturn’s festival

f. Vocabulary word: invenire, definition, “to find”

g. The slaves of this family were granted their freedom in this chapter and they wore the pilleus, the cap of freedom.

5. Reading

a. I learned from my reading workbook more about Mathew Brady’s career, he was a famous photographer that used the daguerreotype and later transformed it into a camera.

b. Mathew Brady then put together a corps and put them around battlefields of the civil war and took pictures of battle scenes and generals

c. Brady’s photographs are now considered national treasures and his photos from the war are priceless.

d. People were really shocked by Brady’s photographs because most of them had never seen a battle field of war.

e. In Harry Potter, Chamber of Secrets Gilderoy Lockhart has become the defense against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts and both Harry and I have a bad feeling about it! Harry has begun to hear snake voices coming from Lockhart’s classroom and he becomes a little frightened.  

f. From reading my reading I learned that Teddy Roosevelt had a son named Kermit!

g. I learned about Teddy Roosevelt’s campaign and about when he was a Civil Service communist.

6. Writing

a. In my writing workbook I had to write a paragraph about my dream field trip, in the paragraph I said that my dream field trip would be to go to the Boston Science museum in Massachusetts. 

b. After I wrote my paragraph I asked myself, “ Does each sentence express a complete thought?” then I did a little bit of re-writing and my paragraph was finished.

c. Before I wrote the paragraph I listed all the details I knew about the Boston Museum of Science, I looked up some details online that I did not know to make a complete paragraph.

d. From my Shakespeare Daily Spark I learned about oxymorons. Oxymorons are when you put two total opposite words together to describe something, such as tragical mirth, or hot ice.

e. In my spelling and grammar daily spark I learned how to create different spellings of words like ghoti can be a spelling for fish, GH sounds like f in enough, O sounds like an I in women, TI sounds like sh in station, so it spells fish basically!

f. It was hard but in spelling and grammar daily spark I learned how to create another spelling of the word mouse, MUC!

g. I learned before I publish a paragraph to make sure all words are spelled correctly.

7. Music

a. I learned about standing up straight when I’m singing, keeping your shoulders down and right foot in front

b. I learned about singing from my diaphragm on lower notes and singing from my head on higher notes

c. I learned how to sing “Own my Own” from Les Miserables

d. I learned about voice representation and to know when that’s happening, you get a buzz feeling in your lips and nose when your singing high notes in your head.

e. I learned warm-ups before singing that are really cool

f. I learned how to tell the difference between cords and accompaniment

g. I learned how to sing Once upon a dream from Sleeping Beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment