Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Days 90 & 91


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned Day 90 & 91   February 4 & 5, 2013

1.       Math

a. Math Posters:







 

2. Science

a. I learned that a German man named Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz invented the new branch of mathematics, “calculus.” People in many jobs use math in order to observe physical things as they under-go change. For instance, traffic managers study how far a truck will skid, while NASA engineers predict exactly when a robot will touch down on Mars. In each case researchers apply mathematical calculations to their hypotheses and work out their conclusions. Leibniz used the term “calculus” to describe this branch of mathematics.

b. Calculus and calculate come from the same Latin word calx a small stone used to keep score in games!

c. Isaac Newton’s term Fluxions also closely described the math we use to study physical changes. Flux is another word to mean it’s in motion and not its final state.

d. Leibniz’s calculus and Newton’s fluxions were the same! They shared interests like, they asked about extremes:  How long or large could something expand? How small or short could it shrink? They thought about the concept that a number could be large or small. They studied curves and how to calculate the areas beneath them.

e. Astronomers use calculus to pinpoint the location of any planet in our Solar System.

f. I thought of some other jobs that use calculus: most professions where calculus is needed is with computers, like a computer engineer.

g. Students study calculus in high school and college today!

3. History

a. In government today I finished my review: What qualifications must someone have in order to vote”? They have to be 18 years old and a citizen of the US. What do you have to do in order to vote? You have to register to vote. Do you have to pay in order to vote? No

b. When is Election Day? The first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. What is an absentee ballot? A way for American citizens to vote if they are away from the country and aren’t at the poll, like men who are serving overseas.

c. What is a poll? A place to vote. What is a political party? A group of people with similar ideas about the government.

d. What is impeachment? The action of accusing the president of a high crime. How does the Impeachment process work? The House of Representatives impeaches the president; the Senate tries the president; two- thirds of Senate must vote to convict the president in order to remove that president from office.

e. What is the Electoral College? A part of the voting process.

f. President: Term Limit: 4 years  Age Qualification: 35 years Citizen Qualification: born in the US, Other: must have lived 14 consecutive years in the US.

g. Senator: Term Limit:  6 years Age Qualification: 30 years Citizen Qualification: 9 years of being a citizen other: Live in the State being represented. Representatives: Term Limit: 2 years Age Qualification: 30 years Citizen Qualification: 7 years other: Live in the State being represented. Supreme Court Justice: Term Limit: Appointed for life.

 

4. Language

a. In Spanish today I learned how to describe items in the room. La bandera ingleterra es rojo, azul, es blanco. The British flag is red, white, and blue.

b. I learned all the colors of the rainbow plus a couple more today: Red = rojo, Orange = naranja, Yellow = Amarillo, Green = verde, Blue = Azul, Purple = violeta, Pink = rosa, Brown = café, Gray = gris, and Black = negro.

c. You can use, “Hay” to mean both “There is” and “There are” hay una goma. There is one eraser. Hay cinco plumas. There are five pens.

d. To ask how many… are there? You say ?cuantos? for masculine nouns and ?cuantas? for feminine nouns. ?Cuantos libros hay? How many books are there? ?Cuantas gomas hay? How many erasers are there. The answer will always begin with hay.

e. Like adjectives, some colors have a masculine and feminine form: negro/negra, rojo/roja. Amarillo/ amarilla

f. Others are the same for both forms: café, gris, azul, verde, naranja, and rosa.

g. To make the color plural, you add an “s” to colors that end with a vowel lapices negros black pens. You add “es” to colors that end with a consonant.

5. Reading

a. I read an article about a pioneer woman who was a Doctor in Illinois and discovered the plant that caused milk sickness which was a very severe medical disease in the early nineteenth century caused by a white snakeroot plant.

b. Through word choices, authors can suggest a certain image of a person about whom they are writing. What word is most often used to describe Doctor Anna? Determined.

c. List two other words that are used to describe Anna’s character and personality? Energetic and curiosity.

d. What unstated beliefs might the author have about nineteenth –century women’s difficulties in attending medical school? Give a specific example to support your answer: The author implies that it is unfair. The Specific sentence is, “No school could limit her curiosity and determination.”

e. The Author does not specifically say why Doctor Anna suspected a food source as the cattle’s illness. How does the author imply this? The author says that, “Milk sickness became serious in the summer and then abated after the frost in the fall.” This implies that it is some sort of plant that the cattle have eaten that has caused the milk sickness.

f. The author writes that Doctor Anna did not believe the ridiculous theory that witches were causing the milk sickness. Whose opinion is that this was a ridiculous theory? The author’s.

g. Using the information in the reading selection, write a brief biographical summary of Doctor Anna’s life. Do not include any details of your own. Doctor Anna was a pioneer that traveled to Illinois in 1808. She thought it was unfair that she could not attend all the classes in medical school. But her determination and curiosity did not stop her. In 1828 she soon faced an epidemic known as milk sickness. She did not believe the ridiculous theory of witches causing the sickness. She wanted to stop all the deaths caused by milk sickness. She discovered the white snakeroot plant that was causing the milk sickness. Then she convinced farmers to in the area to get rid of the plants.

6. Writing

a. I read the article “My Normal life and then had to explain what I know about the character and why I know it: What I know about the character: The character is a kid. How I know it: the narrator says that he has parents.

b. What I know about the character: The character lives in Iowa. How I know it: The narrator reveals the information

c. What I know about the character: The Character hasn’t traveled much. How I know it: the character’s own words reveal the information

d. What I know about the character: Dad is a mechanic. How I know it: The Narrator reveals the information

e. What I know about the character: Mom is a clerk. How I know it: The narrator reveals the information.

f. What I know about the character: The Character has been to Wyoming. How I know it: The character revealed the information.

g. I wrote a paragraph about a happy story setting: The sun was running, hopelessly, from the group of clouds chasing it, although it still cast a cloak of gold on to the field. The grass and corns golden glaze made it look like a jewelry store. Then, the clouds ran away from the big blue patch of sky growing larger, and larger, making the clouds disappear into a perfect day! It was late morning, about 11:00 or there about and I was feeling very confident, for some reason. I just relaxed today; I had no worries, no cares, I just watched the sun all day until it became night, and I watched the moon.

7. Voice

a. I learned this new thing on the piano where in C key, the only 7 chord you can do is G7

b. Stephanie and I chose the song that I am going to sing for my audition, “Wouldn’t it be Loverly

c. I practiced more harmonic intervals in piano, like the C major chord and G7.

d. I sang Castle on a Cloud and practiced on keeping my words at the same volume.

e. I learned a new song in piano using slurs, which tells you to play smoothly connected notes.

f. I tried playing the intro to Tim McGraw slower than usual today which worked better.

g. I like the song choices that I chose for my audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment