Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Days 92 & 93


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned Day 92 & 93 February 6 & 7, 2013

1.       Math

a. I finished by Danika McKellar math book today and learned a lot of great math tricks that have helped me with my arithmatricks! In arithmatricks today I learned about dividing by ½:

b. 18 ÷ 1.5 = 12. I solved this problem by multiplying 18 x 2 = 36 and 1.5 x 2 = 3 and then dividing 3 ÷ 36 = 12!

c. I did this trick over and over again with other math problem. 26 ÷ 6.5 = 4

d. 27 ÷ 4.5 = 6

e. 20 ÷ 2.5 = 8

f. 37.5 ÷ 7.5 = 5

g. 28.5 ÷ 9.5 = 3

 

2. Science

a. I learned that Issac Newton kept all of his experiments; he did this because he practiced the forbidden art of alchemy.

b. Alchemy was the art of changing basic metals into precious ones like silver, or gold.

c. In Europe, all alchemists did the same thing, seeking to become masters of great wealth and influence.

d. The church viewed alchemy as a sin and wrathfully executed those who practiced it.

e. Alchemists hid other, more mysterious goals, they labored to discover a magical product, a liquid called the philosophers stone, and they envisioned the philosopher’s stone as the first matter, truly the spark of Cosmic being.

f. Isaac Newton's alchemy took its own, unique form. He used methods that he created for his own use, Newton applied his own Scientific method to alchemy, and he actually designed experiments with metals, acids, and bases.

g. Newton set out to discover the properties of metal and what happened when he mixed them with other chemicals like oil of vitriol or aqua fortis.

3. History

a. In the book I started reading today, there are two fourteen year old girls, Louise and Dottie, and Dottie has been sent to a Japanese internment camp in Washington.

b. This book started explaining that after Pearl Harbor attack, the government did not send the Japanese away immediately. At first they just gave them “curfews.” Like they couldn’t go more than five miles away from their house and they had to be back in their houses by 9 pm.

c. Some Japanese American store owners put up signs that read “I am American.” To protest and say that they should still be allowed to keep their stores.

d. When Dottie wrote a letter back to Louise, she explained that the internment camp houses were long and like horse stables that you had to share with many other Japanese families, and that the walls were open and you could hear everything said in the “houses” next to you.

e. The whole camp was guarded by barbed wire and all adults had to take “Camp jobs” for woman it was cleaning up in the mess hall and for the men, it was building new guard towers and other buildings.

f. The internment camp that Dottie was sent to was located in Washington on an old fair ground.

g. The government decided not to send Japanese Americans  in Hawaii to Internment camps because they made up more than half of the population.

4. Language

a. In Spanish today I played a game with gama where you rolled the dice and whichever icon you landed on you had to say what you are doing and then do it: Tocate es pies Touch you toes, Senelate es estamogo point to your stomach.

b. To tell somebody to do something in Spanish you use a part of the verb called the imperative. !Cierra la puerta! Shut the door! !Tocate la pierna! Touch your leg!

c. If you tell somebody to do something and the verb is reflexive, like levantarse, (to stand up) you add the pronoun “te” to the end of the word: Levantate Stand up, Sientate Sit down.  

d. If you tell somebody not to do something in Spanish, you put the pronoun, “te” before the verb. No te toques los pies. Don’t touch your toes.

e. I learned a lot of parts of the body in Spanish today: la mano: hand, la cabeza: head, la boca: mouth, el brazo: arm, el pecho: chest, el estomago: stomach, la cadera: hip, la pierna: leg, el pie: foot.

f. I learned that the verb “Tocate” means to touch, and the verb “Cierra” means to shut. Tocate el pecho. Touch your chest. Cierra los ojos. Shut your eyes.

g. other expressions are: Senalate las orajas: Point to your ears. And Abre la boca. Open your mouth.

5. Reading

a. In reading today I read an article about how colors can change your mood. Then I filled in the blanks of a chart for each color.

b. Blue. Symbol: calm and relaxation. Use: to feel cool.

c. Red. Symbol: love and passion. Use: to increase your heart rate.

d. Green: Symbol: nature/healing, Use: to decorate hospital rooms.

e. Black. Symbol: dark, evil, Use: mourning clothes.

f. Purple. Symbol: royal. Use: to increase creativity.

g. Then I chose a color of my own and decided on its symbolism and where it could be used. Color: yellow. Symbol: light/sun. Use: to brighten up a room.

6. Writing

a. Today in writing I created a character of my own. I thought about what kind of person my character is and developed its personality.  

b. Is the character human? I decided that character was going to be human. Yes.

c. Is the character male or female? I decided that my character was going to be female because I understand them better…

d. I chose two words to best describe my character: creative, and magical.

e. I chose some background details for my character: I decided that my character was going to be a duplicate of a wizard’s family, but she doesn’t know it.

f. What might my character say? Write a line of dialogue: I’m your duplicate? But how? This TOTALLY insane!

g. What might other people say about your character: You navy brat! Won’t you just go ahead and move already!

7. Music

a. I practiced my piano and guitar today. I worked on “Speak now” on my guitar and practiced strumming the bottom three strings on the chord “D.”

b. On the piano, I learned a new part to “Castle on a Cloud”, The chord pattern is “Fm” “Gsus7” “A” “CMajor” and “Bf”

c. I also practiced “Monkey and the Engineer” on the guitar and practiced fluid transitions of chords.

d. In piano I practiced using the peddle on the introduction to “Tim McGraw.”

e. I also practiced the scale with Grandpa Mike in a guitar lesson. I learned that the same note that is on fret 5 is the same as the string below.

f. In piano I practiced a song called “We are the ocean” and in it I practiced the harmonic interval chord of G7.

g. I learned that in the piano, If you are in the chord of G, the 7 chord is a D7.

 

 

               

No comments:

Post a Comment