Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 135 Underground Railroad cont.


March 13, 2012 Day 135

Math: 2 pages

LA : 1 page

Underground Railroad Choose-Own adventure: At first I chose to be a slave experiencing the life on the Underground Railroad. I learned that my master was selling us to a wealthy slave merchant in Maryland. I went on the Underground Railroad with my father and then got caught by a slave catcher not too long after. On my second adventure I chose to be a slave catcher. I decided to search for a young slave girl named Mary who had run away from her master in Alabama. I found Mary and handcuffed her to the wagon. The next night I heard a sound and went to investigate, it was Mary crying, Please don’t hurt me! Ignoring her I dragged her back to her master in Alabama. My last adventure was to be an abolitionist in the North, Maine actually. I helped Run-away slaves get to Canada by providing a stop or resting place for those slaves at my house. I was caught by another man who arrested me for helping runaway slaves.

Link to book

Before Civil War graphic Novel: This graphic novel tells about the Alamo, Mexican American war, The California Gold Rush, and the starting of the Railroad. All of the events leading up to the Civil War. This book was basically a review to me because I learned all about this stuff already but it was fun to read and I enjoyed it.


 FTL: PBS video

Summarize the movie:

William Still, a former slave whose mother escaped from their plantation in Maryland is now one of the most famous “conductor’s” on the Underground Railroad. Starting in 1848 slaves from the Southern plantations were trying to escape from the cruel laws of slavery. They have been taking risks that could take their lives away from them, but these risks are from freedom. William Stills mother, Sydney Still had four children, her husband was shot by her drunken master, she tried to escape once, shortly after she was found and taken back her master in Maryland. Later that month, Sydney tried another escape plan, she only would take two of her children though, and she would leave her two boys and take along her younger boy and daughter, Maria Still and William Still. William still helped many slaves on the Underground Railroad, when he heard of one called Henry Brown; he very much doubted his arrival. Henry Brown was a slave from Louisiana who, with his white carpenter friend, Sam, made up a plan for Henry to escape on the Underground Railroad. Sam would make a box big enough for Henry to fit in and send him off to Pennsylvania with a tiny breathing whole on the side. The box got to William Still’s house in Pennsylvania and the word got out of Henry “Box” Brown. This made the slaves think anything was possible on the Underground Railroad, until 1850. The Fugitive slave Act was passed stating that all people in the North and South were to catch the slaves and bring them back to their masters or else there would be a huge fine or a 10 year prison sentence. But did this stop William still, OF COURSE NOT!! The slaves kept coming up to Pennsylvania and Still would send them on their safest route to freedom in Canada, which the slaves called Freedoms land.

No comments:

Post a Comment