Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 136 & 137 Geology & That's Entertainment!


March 14 & 15th, 2012 Days 136 & 137

LA Book: 2 pages

Math: 4 pages

Latin: Chapter 9 prepositions + vocabulary flash cards

Geology Project: Finish & label




Geology Paper Outline

*Review Blog for Geology Posts: http://calderwoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/

1. Introduction

My Science Project for this year is a diorama of a volcano since I have been studying geology. My diorama shows the proportions of a volcano, the nature on the ground next to a volcano, the tectonic plates that make the volcano, and what’s inside a volcano. We made this project with a recycled lid to a plastic box, Sally’s old dog cone, and recycled snack boxes.

2. Summary of Project

My project is supposed to represent a volcano with nature all around, tectonic plates, and what makes the magma or lava come out of the volcano. We used dried, (dead) moss, rocks, paint, fake bushes and marbles to make the nature side of my project, recycled snack boxes for the tectonic plates, and paint for the magma/lava.

3. Volcano

A. There are 5 various kinds of volcanoes, mine is a cinder cone volcano

B. Volcanic lava contains many valuable minerals such as gold, zinc, and copper

C. the Ring of fire

4. Plate Tectonics

A. There are about 20 tectonic plates that make up the Earth’s crust

B. The tectonic plates are made up of a part of the lithosphere

C. Tectonic plates create volcanoes

5. Earthquakes & Tsunamis

A. an Earthquake triggers a tsunami to happen

B. the tectonic plates keep moving after an earthquake

C. We can sometimes predict earthquakes now since the technology of the satellites are so advanced

6. Volcanic Eruption Experiment summary

A. Salt! We will need a bottle of soda and 2 tablespoons of salt for this experiment, We are supposed to place the bottle inside the volcano and then pour the salt into the bottle and the chemicals will react and the volcano should erupt!

B. Baking soda and vinegar, this experiment has many different chemical reactions, basically what you do is pour the vinegar into the bottle and then quickly pour the baking soda in which creates an immediate chemical reaction that erupts the volcano



Sophie Blog: knee & PT, Lauren, Skate show

Hi everybody! I saw almost all of you at the skating show last week but I have had a lot going on since and before then. A couple of months ago my knee had started to hurt and it started sliding off his track and popping, so we decided to go to physical therapy for it. My physical therapist is named Matt and he is very nice. He gave me three exercises that I have to do 45 of every day! One where I have to have a ball in between my legs and lift my legs up, one where I have to put my leg up on a chair and stretch my hamstring muscles. That one I have to twice a day and three sets of! And another one where I have to lay on the ground and pick up my foot when I’m on an angle. These exercises were hard at first but now I have gotten used to them and they are much easier.

On Friday, I was very excited because Lauren was coming to sing at the Skating show we went to pick her up in New Hampshire and it was awesome! Her and I get along so well, and she was excited because she got to sing in the show and skate! She stayed with us for 3 days and it was awesome, although it went by fast! I need to see her and Emma again soon or else I am going to explode! We made it a tradition for her to come down and sing the National Anthem each year at the skating show because I think she enjoyed. The skating show went very well and I am super excited for next year!

1 comment:

  1. <3 I had so much fun and cannot wait to see you and Emma soon! :0 xoxo

    ReplyDelete