Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February 28, 2011 Day One-Hundred and Seven “Religious persecution”

5 x 5 for 5th Grade

5 Vocabulary

Identify dates, place, and why important to topic of Religious Persecution in Colonial America

1. Jonathan Edwards—The Great Awakening: 1703 – 1753, Jonathan was a missionary to the Native Americans in New Jersey and Connecticut, Edwards played a very critical role in shaping the First Great Awakening, and oversaw some of the first fires of revival in 1733–1735 at his church in Northampton, Massachusetts

2. William Penn: 1644-1718 Was the founder of Pennsylvania, he got kicked out of the Dutch, English, and Swedish colonies because of religion. He was a Quaker and he got persecuted because of that

3. Anne Hutchinson: Was a leader of a dissident church discussion group, and got held on trial and persecuted for that, 1591-1643

4. John Winthrop: 1588-1649 Although Winthrop was a respected political figure, he was criticized for his obstinacy regarding the formation of a legislature in 1634, and he clashed repeatedly with other Puritan leaders like Thomas Dudley, Rev. Peter Hobart and others.

5. Roger Williams: 1603-1683, Was the founder of Rhode Island and started the first Baptist church in America, he was a proponent for separation of Church and state

5 Sentences

1. This is Jonathan Edward's signature,.

2. William Penn led a group of Quakers to Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania then became the Quaker colony.

3. Anne Hutchinson would've helped in the fight for women's rights.

4. John Winthrop sailed here on the Mayflower with the rest of the pilgrims, he was a wealthy merchant.

5. Roger Williams was the founder of Rhode Island, Actually the Vikings were, and the native American! J

5 Facts & Details

1. The Most expensive bathroom is in Hong Kong, it costs 3.8 million dollars and has a 24 carat gold toilet!

2.The most expensive Fungus species costs 3,000 for only 23 pounds!!

3. The most expensive car is a Ferrari that was sold for 17.275 dollars!

4. The Most expensive computer mouse is 24,180 dollars!

5. The mouse is made of 18 carat gold and is covered with 59 diamonds!

  1. Questions

1. What does "Great Awakening" mean in relation to Colonial America? A: The Great Awakening was a religious revival in American religious history. Historians and theologians identify three or four waves of Great Awakening occurring from the early 18th century to the late 20th century, each characterized by widespread revivals led by evangelical Protestant ministers, a sharp increase of interest in religion, a profound sense of conviction and redemption on the part of those affected, a jump in evangelical church membership, and the formation of new religious movements and denominations.

2. Who are the Quakers? A: Quakers' worship is mainly based on group worship, speaking when the spirit of God moves them

3. Why are Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson banished? A: Because they believe in Religious freedom

4. What does John Winthrop mean when he writes "A City Upon a Hill"? A: Well if you're on a hill you are closer to God, and you can see people coming, and people will come to you because they see the city from far away.

5. What are the different religions in the 13 Colonies by the year 1700? A: Quaker's, Puritans and Protestants

5 Math from Fraction Stories Skill 12: Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators

Martha's Brain: 1/3 Stubborn Determination

1/6 Gumption

1/8 Vim and Vigor

1/12 Imagination

1/24 Old Pasta Recipes

? Old-fashioned baked-in Goodness

1. What part of my brain takes up the most space? A: Stubborn determination

2. What part takes up the smallest? A: Old Pasta recipes

3. Which part takes up more space—vim and vigor or gumption? How much more space does it take up? A: Gumption… 1/24

4. Which two parts of my brain make up exactly ½ of my brain? A:Stubborn determination and Gumption

5. Which three brain parts, when added together, are equal in size to Stubborn Determination? A: Gumption, Vim and Vigor, and Old Pasta recipes! J

Activities

Math Workbooks: 1 page Guinness, 1 page Sylvan

Science: 1 page Gray's

Colonial Letters & Key Words: Clothing

April 6, 1636

Dear Aunt Sarah,

My love depends on it if I do not pray for Pricilla to get better. I am at health and only Jacob is still sick, having Samuel Fuller our Physician come every day.

The day before present, Karen got our family new Homespun. Breeches for Jacob, and Father is teaching Jacob to Breech. Elizabeth and Mary both got gowns. I got new Shift's a skirt for Sunday best a pinner and Mules. Aunt Sarah, do you have any of these clothes at Jamestown? What about in England?


 

Katherine got the same as I, however she got a cloak instead mules. Karen got me new shifts because my old ones were ripped so instead they were char cloth and thrown in the fire. I made EdwardPockets and small clothes because he did not come back to greet us when we were sick. I will send his clothing with my letter so it will go to the Academie. I also made father a waistcoat. I hope he will like it because I will give it to him on the day of his birth.


 

Myles got a stock from Karen, which is a necktie for Sunday Best. He is going to wear to Dartmouth. He also got Pattens for Dartmouth. Aunt Sarah, Tell me what kind of clothing you had back in England when you were growing up? Well, I miss you as much as I miss Timothy and Mother.

-Ruth Alden


 

April 30,1636

Dear Ruth,

We had some of the clothing you mentioned back in England, but my family was in a merchant's family and had wealth. We had pinafore, or pinners. We had Chemise which is also what you call shift. Doublets which were vests, and we had corsets which were Jumps but for merchant families.

Thank you for writing, I am sorry that I replied sooner than most of my letters before.


 

Karen does sound like a wonderful mother. Rachel is at health, and Pricilla me and Edward are as well. I am now part of the new world, you are right, women are not allowed to speak up for themselves. I have made companions here who say that there have been women who have tried to speak up for their selves and end up getting persecuted, I will not get persecuted, even if I believe in different religion. I will soon learn that. Edward is still having trouble with the governor who does not appreciate him. He may send us to Quebec colony, I think that colony is much more pleasant.


 

I miss you as well, and in some ways I miss England. You asked me that question about four months ago, and in some ways I do miss England. I miss my companions there, my mother, my religion.


 

I have to put Rachel and Pricilla to rest, goodnight Ruth.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment