Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7, 2011 Day One-hundred and Twelve

5 x 5 for 5th Grade

5 Vocabulary

1. Militia: A body of citizens enrolled for Military service.

2. Petition: a formally drawn request, often bearing the names of a number of those making the request that is addressed to a person or group of persons in authority or power, soliciting some favor, right, mercy, or other benefit

3. Continental: of or pertaining to the 13 original American colonies during and immediately after the American Revolution

4. Hemoglobin: the oxygen-carrying pigment of red blood cells that gives them their red color and serves to convey oxygen to the tissues: occurs in reduced form

5. Esophagus: Also called the gullet, arises from the thorax, food travels through this

5 Sentences

1. Brunswick sent people to be part of the militia in The Revolutionary War.

2. The colonists sent out petitions toward the king saying that they don't want some of his policies in the New World.

3. In the Continental Congress, the first call was about taxation without representation.

4. Blood is purple inside your body, hemoglobin makes it red.

5. The esophagus is right next to your pharynx.

5 Facts & Details

1. Answer these Math Questions; Hint: The World's largest cupcake weighs 1,315 pounds, the recipe caused for 340 pounds of sugar, 346 pounds of eggs, and 75 pounds of butter. The cupcake is 6 feet wide and 4.5 feet tall.

2. The cupcake weighed 1,315 pounds; write the number in Word Form A:

3. How much would the cupcake weigh if the recipe were tripled? A:

4. Hint; The fruitcake was baked on December 28, 2008 , the cheesecake was baked on January 25, 2009, How many days after the fruitcake was baked was the cheesecake baked? A:

5. The World's largest fruitcake weighed 619 pounds and 12 ounces round this weight to the nearest 100 pounds A:

5 Questions

1. What are the two elements that your heart and lungs work together to move through your body? A: oxygen and carbon dioxide

2. What makes up the two sounds of your heartbeat? A: The Atria and the Ventricles

3. What are the names for the "windpipes" where air travels on its way to your lungs? A: Trachea

4. What are the four chamber of your heart? A: The two Atria chambers and the two bottom chambers the Ventricles

5. What is another word for your esophagus? A: Gullet

5 Math from Fraction Stories, Skill 13 cont.

1. Add S #s 5 + 7 to find S# 12= 14 1/2

2. Add S#s 6 + 7 to find S# 13 = 18

3. Add S#s 4, 5, + 6 to find S# 14= 28 3/4

4. Which combination number did Miles get correct? A: 25

5. Which numbers did Miles get wrong? A: 17 & 44

Bonus: What is the correct combination? A: 18, 25, 43

Activities

Math Workbooks: 1 page Guinness, 1 page Sylvan

Science: Gray's Anatomy

Colonial Letters: LAST 2 letters + edit + print finals

May 16, 1636

Dear Aunt Sarah,


 

Jacob is all better! We are all doing very well and I am happy. Karen said that we will come and visit you in Jamestown fairly soon. This past week has been wonderful. Edward has come back from the academie and thanked me for the clothes I sent him. Myles has also come back from Dartmouth to meet Karen. As I sit by the fire righting my letter, I think of you and your dark brown eyes, beautiful blonde hair, and your lovely clothes from England. As I smile I think of the way you smile, with pure white teeth. I miss you Aunt Sarah.


 

Karen is teaching me more ways to make clothing. She also says I am a lovely cook. I thank her for that. It is now nice knowing that mother and Timothy are watching over us, I feel safer in some ways. I am joyous to see Pricilla. I am glad she may be over her sicknesses. I as well would miss my companions, if I left them. As I miss my mother and religion though I never came from England.


 

There have been discussions of Indian wars around my village. I am frightened now, however you said the Indians were pleasant in Quebec, Father and Karen say the same thing. This may be one of my longer letters as is my final for Father says I must help more around the house rather than fiddle with my quill. I miss you Aunt Sarah and wish I could right to you more, however must obey my Father.

-With Love Forever,

Ruth Alden


 


 

June 9, 1636


 

Dear Ruth,


 

I agree that you must obey your father, however I will miss your letters. This may be final as well. I am very glad that you will be coming to visit in the week after next, You may be on your way now and I may have to send this letter after you leave. Pricilla, Rachel, Edward and I are doing wonderful as your family, I am happy. I wish that you will help out with cooking as I agree with Karen, you are a wonderful cook. I must ask and will find out shortly, are Myles and Edward coming to visit me as I hope they do because I did not see them on my visit.


 

Things are getting better here in Jamestown and the Governor realized that Edward was no harm and now worships him as one of his companions. I do not believe you are now twelve years old and have been telling me your life for two whole years as I have been doing the same. I as well sit by the fire and think of you as I write my letters, the way your independence shines like the bright stars, the way you know that your mother is watching over you and is still with you in your heart, and all the things you said about me are as well true of you. I wish that Pricilla and Rachel grow up to be like you.


 

This may be one of my longer letters as well, however I love writing and hope we can communicate some other way, because I love you Ruth Alden, as much as the sun on a rainy day, as much as the birds start to chirp in the spring, as much as the quiet calm house is when you are writing by the fire. I cannot wait to see you, As my final words are…

  • With Love,

    Sarah


 

Colonial Video Plan: Old York

Colonial Video Template

Location: Old York

Date: ?

Theme: Commerce and trade

Spots:

1. Old Gaol: The 3 types of Colonial Government

2.The Warf: triangle trade

3. Emerson Wilcox House: 13 colonies

4. Jefferd's Tavern: Raw Goods and products

5. Elizabeth Perkins House: Separation of Church + State

Topics:

1.The three types of Government were Provincial, proprietary, and Charter

2. The triangle trade included the Massachusetts colony, The Gold Coast of Africa, and Barrados South America

3. Most of the 13 colonies went with Provincial government

4. The Raw Goods and products were made in the New World then sent to other countries for them to sell while they got Molasses, Sugar, and slaves from those other countries making the triangle trade.

5. Roger Williams is a big part of the Separation of Church and state, he creates the Idea.


 


 

Interview: a male tour guide

1. What year was old York founded?

2. Was old York a big part of the trading business?

3. Who is Elizabeth Perkins ?

4. Who is Emerson Wilcox?

5. Where there any other famous people in Old York?

Map & Outline: http://www.oldyork.org/

  1. Emerson Wilcox House Picture>
  2. Jefferd's Tavern Picture
  3. Old Gaol
  4. The Warf
  5. Elizabeth Perkins House


 

Introduction & Conclusion:

Introduction: Hi, We are in Old York were we will be talking about commerce and trade . We are going to have an AWESOME TIME! Our topics here are… The 3 types of Colonial Government DON DON DON! triangle trade which we kind of already learned about. The 13 colonies, Raw Goods and products, and finally, The Separation of Church + State. Come on lets go J


 


 


 


 

Conclusion: That was awesome! Were almost done we just have to go to one more place. After I talk to you about what we learned here! I sure learned a lot, weren't the houses beautiful? I sure think so. The 13 colonies were cool, but I am glad that we got separated from England. Well yeah, let's go over here! :)


 

Web Quest: The Lost Colony of Roanoke Island

Lost Colony of Roanoke Island Web Quest

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0KuB6N9Uk&feature=related

A. What did you learn from the video? List 5 facts/details

1. The Roanoke Island colony was the first colony in The New World.

2. Virginia Dare was the first Englishman born in the New World.

3. John White painted pictures of Roanoke Island.

4. John White became the New Governor of Roanoke.

5. John Left to England and when he came back, he found that the Island was deserted with everyone missing.

2. http://www.theshadowlands.net/roanoke.htm

  1. What are the 5 theories about the lost colony reported on this website?

    1. The Roanoke's left the colony

    2. The Whole population of Roanoke was killed by a disease

    3. The Colony was destroyed by a severe storm such as a hurricane

    4. The colonists were killed by Native Americans

    5. The people of Roanoke Island decided to go live with the Natives

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzFa_JeHKVM

A. What did you learn from the video?

A: In Virginia, a 4th grade class did a clay animation movie with play doe dolls of the characters from the story of the Lost Colony. Sir Raleigh asked Queen Elizabeth the first if he could go to the New World searching for gold and riches. He stopped at the island where the Croaton Natives lived. They met two nice Natives named "Weetamo and Mateo" who led them to Roanoke Island. They looked for gold and riches. Weetamo and Mateo helped Sir Raleigh and the explorers with food. They went back to England showing Queen Elizabeth what they found; they brought Weetamo and Mateo as well. On the second voyage they planned to start a colony. John White and artist came with Sir Raleigh and the explorers on this voyage to record what they saw. They got to Roanoke Island and saw plants and animals they have never seen before. John White recorded for the queen. One of the explorers pointed out that his gold cup from England was missing. Thinking it was the Natives they went to the Croaton Island and attacked. They didn't think it was the Croaton Natives that stole it but accidently killed Mateo's family without knowing. John White's daughter Eleanor Dare had a baby named Virginia who was the first baby born in the New World. But Mateo and Weetamo stayed with their tribe so the English were starving. John White who was now the Governor of Roanoke went back to England to get more food and supplies. He went back but could not get a ship to go back to Roanoke for three years. When he finally came back, the colony was destroyed. He did not find any of the colonists; all he found was the word, "Croatons" written on the fence. I think that the Croaton Natives killed the colony and destroyed their village for revenge.


 


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment