Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 110: Math Project Metric vs US Standard


January 31, 2012

Day 110

Math: 1 page

LA Book: 1 page

Weather Review: Study

Math Project:

January 30, 2012

Math Project Question: Why are there two different measurement systems—metric vs US?

Video Answer


A.      What is the English system of measurement? List 6 facts/ details

1. The English system of measurement grew out of the creative ways that people measured for themselves.

2. When people were measuring short distances they used their feet hence “1 foot”

3. When people were measuring longer distances, they would count their paces, a thousand paces would equal 1 mile

4. When people needed to measure capacity, they would use buckets, pails, cups and baskets.

5. Unfortunately knowing that everyone didn’t have the same size feet of pails, they needed to create a new way of measuring.

6. 5 yards are in 15 feet

               


                A. What is the Metric system of measurement? List 6 facts/ details

1. A milliliter is about 20 drops of water collected; a liter is about one jug of any liquid or beverage

                                2. 1,000 milliliters equal 1 liter

3. The weight of a paper clip is about the weight of 1 gram; a dictionary is about the weight of a kilogram; tonnes are equal to 5 tons.

4. 1,000 grams equal one kilogram; 1,000 kilograms equal one tonne

5. One millimeter is about thickness of a plastic id card, a centimeter is about as wide as a pinky fingernail, one meter is about as long as a guitar, and a kilometer is about as long as the average street, cities would be measured by using kilometers

6. One centimeter is 10 millimeters; one meter is equal to 100 centimeters, 1,000 meters is 1 kilometer

3. Follow this link: http://www.metric4us.com/why.html

                A. Why does the publisher of this website think the USA should adopt the metric system? Write 6 sentence paragraph: This publisher thinks that we should use the metric system because it is has less steps. He thinks that the metric system is better and easier to understand. This writer feels that the metric system is an improvement to the English measurement system because of three major reasons, one unit of measurement for each physical quantity, scalabilities of prefixes, and decimal systems. My opinion is the complete opposite however. I understand the English measuring system and I think it is just fine.





                A. Write 6 sentences about the differences between the metric and US or English or Imperial system of measurement:

1. In Ancient Egypt, The length from your elbow to your arm was known as a cubit, if someone was measuring a pyramid it would be hard because almost everyone has different arm lengths! So then the Ferro would decide whose arm to use to measure the pyramid, most likely it was his own!

2. It’s about 431 miles from Los Angeles to San Francisco If you wanted to know how many inches that was, you would multiply 431 by 5,280 and then again by 12 and it would equal 27,308,169 inches total

3. The Decimal system is used in the metric system, a lot of people think it is easier because you have to convert the number in 10s instead of 12s.

4. The metric system is based on the meter!

5. A meter equaled one ten thousandths of the distance from the north Pole to the equator.  

6. Converting kilometers to meters is really easy because all you have to do is multiply by a thousand!


                A. Play around with the conversion tool. Choose 6 practice conversion formulas and list:

1. If I want to convert 11 pounds into kilograms I would get:  4.9896 kilograms

2. If I wanted to convert 31 kilograms into pounds it would equal: 68.3426 lbs

3. If I wanted to convert 8 ounces in to grams I would have: 226.8 grams

4. If I wanted to convert 19 grams in to ounces, the product would be: 0.67014 ounces

5. If I wanted to convert 7 meters in to feet the answer would be: 2.1336 meters

6. If I wanted to convert 1 meter into feet it would be: 3.28 feet



Hi, my name is Sophie and I am in sixth grade. One day I asked Mom about the metric system, actually I said exactly this… “Why are there two different measurement systems—metric vs. US?” I am homeschooled and to answer this question, Mom set up a math project for me where I went to many different websites where I learned about the Metric and U.S standard system. And I am going to tell you what I learned……. The Metric system was developed during the French Revolution. This system of measurement was taught all throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. However this new system did not reach America. So the American citizens were measuring things with things everybody had such as feet, and buckets and sticks. This measuring system worked for the Americans for a short period of time until they realized that they all did not have the same size feet, buckets, and sticks! So this made it hard to communicate mathematically. So the Americans decided to create a new measuring system that they would use, although they made it harder than it needed to be. The Metric system counts everything in tens, hundreds, and thousands, where as the U.S standard measuring system counts everything in twelve’s. The Metric system is actually easier to understand than U.S standard, partly because of pre fixes. Basically all of the measurement tools are the same names with different pre fixes. These are including, kilo and mili. The metric system is also easier because of the Decimal system. Using the Decimal System is a much easier way to measure and change units. The Metric System is based on the meter, the meter is not the length of someone’s foot or arm but was one ten thousands of the length from the North Pole to the equator.  So we’ve pretty much answered that question! Thank you for watching. (Smile)

You Tube Link:


Weather Poems: Print & Illustrate

Snowland!

There is no land, like Snowland! And every land I know,

Does not have as much snow as Snowland!

Because there is no land, like Snowland, and everywhere I go,

Is Snowland, because Snowland is GRAND!



In Snowland, the summer is a bummer,

So I just pretend there is snow,

But there is really no snow in the summer,

Or the weather doesn’t think so!



In Snowland you don’t need precipitation,

To have snow fall to the ground,

All you need is just a little imagination!

And you’ll sleep in a snow bed soft and sound!





If you love snow as much as me,

Snowland is the perfect place for you!

Because if you get cold and hungry,

Eat the snow it has calcium too!



Now there is no land, just like snow land, and every land I know,

Is Snowland to me cause I believe,

That Snowland, is the go land, for everyone I know,

If you truly wish it to be!



“Clouds”

When I look up at the sky,

And look at the magnificent clouds,

They tell a story and are interesting to me,

When I look up at the clouds.



The Cirrus clouds say how do you do,

With each little puff of white fluff,

They say they are happy and you should be too,

When I look up at the clouds.



The stratus clouds protect me,

Laying a blanket right over my head,

They remind me that I am safe here,

When I look up at the clouds.



The Cumulus clouds make me feel strong and brave,

As I look at their fluffy white muscles,

They tell me to push as far as I can,

When I look up at the clouds.



When I look up at the clouds,

I think of great memories,

Because the clouds are love,

The love up above,

And the clouds will take care of me



What is Weather?

Whether the weather is hot,

Or whether the weather is cold,

Whether the weather is snowy,

And this story’s already been told!



Weather is the conditions,

Of the Earth every day!

The weather conditions are different though,

In every single way!



Some days are sunny and warm with a few white clouds in the sky!

Some days are wet and rainy with gray clouds, (they always make me want to sigh) haaaaaaaaa

Some days are snowy and cold with ice and sleds and skates,

And some days are leafy I guess you could say where you have to pull out the rakes!

This is Weather!
 

Wind in my face

When I went out this morning,

This cold and frosty morning,

A burst of wind hit my face,

This was so surprising that I was left mourning!



When I went out the next morning,

This warmer and sunny morning,

Again some wind hit my face,

And I was left mourning,



When I went out the next next morning,

This rainy and windy morning,

Some and rain and some snow and some wind hit my face,

And again oh I was mourning,



The next week came and I went out in the cold,

And the wind hit my face again,

I wished for no wind to ever come again,

So I wouldn’t be left mourning!



So the next day came I went out in the morning,

It was sunny and warm and bright,

And the burst of the rays hit my face,

And I was not left mourning!



Now again it was sunny the next time I went out,

No cold, no wind, but sun,

But I actually was sad and I started to pout,

Of no cold, no wind, no fun!



So I pleaded for wind,

Where do I begin,

I need to have the wind in my face,

I won’t mourn any more that one thing’s for sure,

Now I like the wind in my face!





Global Warming

It’s warmer, it’s warmer,

The Climates getting warmer,

I must be dreaming,

It should be storming,

It must be Global warming!



It’s warmer, it’s warmer,

But why is it getting warmer?

Is it human activities?

All the buildings we are forming,

I think this is the cause of Global warming!



It’s warmer, it’s warmer,

But where is it getting warmer?

The coldest places in the world,

That’s not where the weather’s harming,

But if you’re living in Florida be afraid of Global warming!



It’s warmer, it’s warmer

The ice is getting warmer,

Antarctica is changing,

The South Pole is transforming,

This all must be because of Global warming!



It’s hot, It’s hot

The Climates getting Hot!

The ice is almost burning,

Because of Global warming!



Measuring weather



My sister took out a ruler,



And started “measuring” the air,



I asked “What are you doing?”



And she was like, Why do you care?





I said there was nothing there to measure,



That she was measuring a ghost,



She said she was measuring weather,



And If I kept bothering I was going to be toast,




Well I said I was in charge,



And she wasn’t doing it right,



And of course just like a six year old would,



She started to pitch a fight





But after she was done crying,



I got my thermometer,



This is how you measure weather,



Or at least the temperature,




You see how the red goes up,



Until a number on the side,



Tells us how hot or cold,



It is outside!





There are many ways to measure weather,



But we don’t have those tools,



But temperature is important right,



Now wasn’t that experiment cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment