Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Days 92 & 93


Day 92 & 93





Basket day: pick two
For this unit we've collected a basket of fun lessons and activities that Sophie can choose two-three from for each basket day (once or twice a week). This is our first week and so far Sophie really seems to enjoy the process and the lessons.
We did this two days in a row and here’s what she chose & did

Brain Quest Presidents 20 question Quiz. We choose and read aloud 20 Questions and both Sophie and I wrote our answers without discussing, then we checked to see how we did. Sophie got 7 our of 20 wrong and I got 5 out of 20 wrong. Not bad when some of the questions were about President Garfield and McKinley! But it was a great exercise to test our knowledge and then improve when we learned the correct answer.

Link to Brain Quest

Science Question and Answer Book—choose 3 subjects, “teach” Mom
*This is an older library textbook that is rich with colorful pictures and simple Q & A format
Sophie chose 3 subjects to learn about then "teach" me.
For the record, she did in fact teach me some things I did not know!

Sound

1.       Form of energy that is transferred by pressure waves in the air or other materials

2.       Question: Can you measure sound? A: Yes, sound is measured in many ways such as frequency, wave length, and amplitude

3.       Q: Does sound travel as fast as light? A: sound travels slower than light. Light travels 299,337 kilometers per second and sound travel at about 340 meters per second

4.       When sound energy enters the outer ear, the eardrum that separates the outer and middle ears transmits the sound inside

5.       Q: How do I speak? A: humans have vocal chords inside the larynx that produces sound, when air passes through a gap between the chords, the chords vibrate and produce sound

6.       Music to the ears! Music generally conforms to 8 notes on the octave, all other sound is noise

Electricity

1.       Q: Who discovered electricity? A: Ancient Greece knew that electricity could be produced by rubbing two pieces of felt together but Sir Thomas Brown of the 18th c. used the word “electricity” first and Ben Franklin used lightning to create it

2.       Without electricity we wouldn’t be able to feel anything because the human body has a continuous flow of electric current through our nerve cells

3.       Q; Can electricity make your hair stand on end? A: static electricity is created when you rub against a changed surface, the extra electrons move your body the other way around and a tiny spark of electricity is created

4.       Alessandro Volta was an 18th c. scientist who created the voltaic pile, which was later turned into a battery

5.       As you might know, Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb but most of us, at least I, didn’t know how it worked. Apparently there are support wires inside the inert gas. There’s what’s called a tungsten filament that connects the two support wires to the bulb, this turns the bulb on when it has been instructed using electricity.

6.       Q: How is electricity measured? A: Voltage is the measure of an electric current. The unit for measuring voltage is the volt. A voltameter tells us how many electrons are sent from one end of the circuit and how many are received at the other end. The distance electricity travels affects its quality especially if it is prevented from flowing freely because of resistance.

Magnetism

1.       Q: How did people find out about magnets? A: the magnet was discovered in China as early as 200 BC. Around the same time the Chinese found that from one magnet one could find out directions like North and South.

2.       Q: What is a magnet field? A: the area around a permanent magnet is a strong force also called a magnet field. This is the force that attracts other magnets and metal materials to the magnet

3.       Q: Why do things stick only to the poles of magnets? A: Magnets are strongest on their poles, so objects most easily stick to the poles

4.       Q: How can you destroy a magnet? A: although magnets can be natural or manmade, dropping, heating or hammering them can destroy them, especially if they are small and weak

5.       Q: Can you store a magnet? A: Magnets can get weaker over time so the best way to store them is to keep them in pairs with the unlike poles next to each other

6.       Any magnetic material that’s in touch with the magnet starts behaving like a magnet itself.

Latin: Lesson 1

First we watched a couple of YouTube videos about the “Why Study Latin?” and the Latin alphabet and pronunciation:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oWWOJW3948&feature=related

Minimus: Starting Out in Latin Book


Chapter 1

Sophie did and great job with her first Latin lesson. We watched the videos and worked through the first chapter together, which uses an on-going cartoon story of a Roman family in Great Briton near Hadrian’s Wall. We worked through some new vocabulary and conversation, we introduced ourselves to each other in Latin, and she wrote out 6 Latin vocabulary words 5 times each while saying the word aloud each time with its meaning in her notebook.

For the record: I have never taken Latin. I studied Greek in college and German in high school and have a limited but workable relationship with Spanish, and I would say I am familiar with Latin but these lessons and the language is new for me too—Sophie and I are learning together!

Story Cubes: This is a super-cool new games that Sophie and Lily got for Christmas from Courtney (funny sidenote: I got them this game too and now it is in our gift closet).
Rory's Story Cubes Link


Sophie:

Once upon a time…

I went on a trip to a Native American reservation because I wanted to know about my heritage. I was scared about going on a plane though because the reservation was in Louisiana and I lived in Maine. So we hopped on a plane and I looked out my window. I got scared. So my father tried to comfort me but I still was scared. So then an elderly Native American man was walking down the aisle and realized I was scared. So he sat down in the extra seat and told me a story about Natives Americans and that story took my mind off the plane and it made me feel much better. I had the best trip of my life and I learned all about my heritage!


Lily:

Once upon a time…

There was a magical key, I found this key in my room one day and I didn’t know what it did. So I tried it in every door. I tried on a sheep, on a flower, and finally I tried to put it into a credit card! The Credit card became a key hole and it lead me to a magical princess land where I lived with Blue Jeans forever and ever!

Mom:

Once upon a time I found a magical die. Now whenever I rolled this die it would take to a magical place anywhere in time! One time when I rolled this die it took me to King Arthur’s palace, it was magnificent. Now I told my friends all about this die but they didn’t believe me and I was the only one that could roll the die and make it actually work. Sometimes I would roil the die and it would take me exactly where I was, home. Home was a magnificent place but I liked the magical places that this die took me to as well. Sometimes when I rolled the die and it landed on six, it would take me to scary places. One time when I rolled this die it took me to Pompeii’s palace when it was burning down. I then thought about my die. If no one believed me and didn’t want to be friends with me because they thought I was lying, and if this die takes me to scary places sometimes such as Pompeii’s palace when it was burning down, I should just get rid of it. So he through the die in the fountain in the city so another lucky person could roll this die and maybe have better luck with it than I did.


LA Book: 2 lessons


Math books: 5 pages, 2 books


Link to Book
Weather Encyclopedia Chapter 1 “What is weather” Part 1: Read and Summarize
Link to Book
1.       How weather affects us: Many of the clothes we wear and activities we do and the way we feel is connected to the weather.

2.       The Sun: The giant ball of gas in the sky affects the weather in a lot of ways. Our bodies need sunlight to make Vitamin D, which is important for healthy growth but too much sunny weather is bad for your body.

3.       In the sky: All of Earth’s weather occurs in the atmosphere. As well as having most of the air in the atmosphere, it also contains water in the form of gas which is called water vapor.

4.       Clouds: Clouds form when water vapor in the air condenses. That’s how clouds are weather. Clouds shade the Earth from the sun.

5.       Name that Cloud: The three main types of clouds are cirrus, cumulous, and stratus. Stratus clouds are the ones closest to Earth. Cumulous clouds are smaller than stratus and are farther away from the Earth’s surface. Cirrus clouds are the farthest away.

6.       Rain: Rain is what happens when the water from rivers and lakes evaporates into the air and into clouds,. Rain then falls from the clouds to either shower or pour onto humans and refilling the lakes and rivers.

Weather Log

No comments:

Post a Comment