Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Days 102 & 103


Days 102, 103

January 19 &20, 2012

Basket Day & Farm School

Math: 2 pages x 2 days

LA: 2 pages

Creative Writing Prompt: from old library book purchased at the annual library sale: In Your Own Words: A Beginner’s Guide to Writing by Sylvia Cassedy

Prompt from Chapter 6: Fantasy. Assignment: write a story about someone who is transformed by a fairy

                                                “My Life as an Octopus”

                Porsia the fairy lived outside Samuel Sylvester’s house is an old tree in the backyard. Porsia was a guardian fairy. The fairy King, Iomnes would send her to check on Samuel Sylvester, who was not the best of kids. Porsia’s job was to punish him if he would disobey or bully. Now when it was something simple like not cleaning his room when he was supposed to, Porsia was to punish him simply as in hide and take away one of his toys. But if Samuel would do something unbelievably naughty, Porsia would do an evil fairy trick. Samuel had never been that naughty however so Porsia had not dared to play her magical tricks…yet!

It was Tuesday the 14th of May and Samuel had been good all week, bet it seems like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Porsia was watching Samuel like a hawk! Samuel forgot to do his homework for school because he slept in. Samuel was getting yelled at by his teacher and he was getting very annoyed. Hi decided to reach behind his back and get the glue from his desk. Samuel sprayed his teacher in the face with the glue and stuck her to the chalkboard. Porisia got really upset over this and decided to do her magic!

“Octopuses no Octopis! The boy had been naughty so teach him not to lie!”

Samuel turned into an octopus and Porsia sent him to under the ocean! Samuel was very surprised and he realized what he did was wrong and pleaded for help.

Sam met a friend, he was a swordfish called Bobby. Bobby the swordfish spoke English like Samuel the octopus. They became friends. Bobby was turned into a swordfish by a guardian fairy as well. Bobby had been living under the water in Atlantis for about twenty years. Bobby told Samuel there was no way of getting out of this situation. Samuel asked about his family. Bobby said Sam’s family was here, expect as octopi.

Sam rushed to his new home. Sam’s mother welcomed him home, it almost seemed like nothing had happened to them. Bobby said that they see everything just like it was at your home. Samyel didn’t understand why he couldn’t do that. Bobby said it was his punishment from Porsia.

A week went by and Samuel was learning to adapt as an octopus. He actually liked it. He was also being nice. So Porsia sent Sam back to his home and Sam was significantly nicer and appreciative of his family and his teachers.

US Presidents Brain Quest Quiz: Sophie and I played 20 questions about the Presidents. This time we both got only 2 wrong and learned a lot about Presidents’ Kennedy, Roosevelt, Clinton, Johnson, Peirce, and others. This is a fun activity that Sophie seems to like a lot.

Farm School Blog & Pix: 15 sentences

“Muppet’s Time Tangled”

Finally Lily and I went to spend a night at the farm yesterday and it was very fun! We brought our Muppets that we got from Christmas and wanted to put on a Puppet show with our theater that Gamma and Bo made for us last Christmas. We have been watching a lot of the original Muppet show so we decided to start of there. Lily played her Muppet Lilliana, and I played as my Muppet Analise and Marty the magician. We started off at the Muppet show with the special guest star being Marty the Magician which we used a Barbie to be. Marty thought that he was guest starring on the muffin show because he hated the Muppets. So after the opening number Marty got really mad and decided to use his magic and transport Lilliana and Analise to the Cretaceous period. When Analise and Lilliana got there they didn’t believe it but then they saw the dinosaurs and were very scared. Then the Muppets found out that the Dinosaurs were nice and they became friends, Marty got really mad that the Muppets were enjoying his evil plan, so he sent them somewhere where they could not make friends with the enemies, “The War of 1812.” (Or the Battle of New Orleans to be exact.) The Muppets were absolutely frightened at first but then realized the best way to get out of this one was to fight, so they did. The Muppet girls won the battle of New Orleans and were enjoying it. Marty was astonished again and sent them somewhere that they could not get out of, the future! The Muppets were sent to Space exactly and had no way of getting out so they decided to finish and make a whole new Muppet show in Space with the aliens, it worked out great!

Skating Blog: 15 sentences

Guess who is learning her Double Axel?! That’s right me and I am loving! Other than that skating is going great for me. I am landing all my jumps consistently and working on double flips and double lutzes which I have landed before but only a couple times. I have started my program for the show which is to “I dream of Jeannie” and I love the music and my program, I am working hard on my new moves and new jumps, also I am working and choreographing my new program for the Juvenile level which is the one for the competitions. I really liked the seminar last week where I learned all about creative movement and improvising which I LOVE to do. Linda is awesome and is teaching me so well. I am also working on 3 new dances with Rob. These dances are the Tango, The Rocker Fox Trot and the American Waltz. These dances are much harder and I have to do them by myself.

Yoga blog: 5 sentences

I have started doing Yoga with Linda to improve my skating. It has helped a lot except for the not pointing your toe part which I am having a lot of trouble with. My favorite pose so far is the HEADSTAND! Linda did a headstand too! I like doing Yoga with her.

Weather Log:

Sophie’s log:  8inches of Snow fell last night but there was supposed to be about 4 inches. Today it is sunny, no rain Cumulus clouds but keep shoveling because we got a LOT of snow!!!!! Probably in the high 20’s


Well, when I went to bed there was nothing but a few flurries falling and a dusting on the ground. When I woke up 8 hours later we had 5" of powder and the sun was out like nothing ever happened. 28 degrees out with 15 mph wind


Weather Poem:

Wind in my face

When I went out this morning,

This cold and frosty morning,

A burst of wind hit my face,

This was so surprising that I was left mourning!



When I went out the next morning,

This warmer and sunny morning,

Again some wind hit my face,

And I was left mourning,



When I went out the next next morning,

This rainy and windy morning,

Some and rain and some snow and some wind hit my face,

And again oh I was mourning,



The next week came and I went out in the cold,

And the wind hit my face again,

I wished for no wind to ever come again,

So I wouldn’t be left mourning!



So the next day came I went out in the morning,

It was sunny and warm and bright,

And the burst of the rays hit my face,

And I was not left mourning!



Now again it was sunny the next time I went out,

No cold, no wind, but sun,

But I actually was sad and I started to pout,

Of no cold, no wind, no fun!



So I pleaded for wind,

Where do I begin,

I need to have the wind in my face,

I won’t mourn any more that one thing’s for sure,

Now I like the wind in my face!



Latin: Chapter 3 Work & verbs!

Sophie is really doing great with Latin and I enjoy learning with her! She picks it up quickly and has a good ear. I look forward to Chapter 4 because we will have learned all 6 endings and she will make 20 flashcards to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment