Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Days 30 & 31 Regionals & 7 x 7


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned                       October  18 & 19, 2012   Days 30 & 31

1.       Math

a. I took a quiz that said that I am a focus superstar, most of the time. Sometimes I get distracted by other things but when I’m in the right state of mind, I’m good to get things done.

b. I learned about complex fractions which are two factions to make one fraction like: 1/6 ­­­­ - ¾

c. I learned a method about how to find the value of complex fractions. This method is called “means and extremes.”

d. The Means and extremes method teaches you how to find the value of a complex fraction. First you multiply the very top and very bottom numbers of let’s say…1/4-3/5. 5 x 1 = 5 and then the two other numbers closest to the fraction dividing line 3 x 4. Then the fraction would equal 5/12

e. Complex fractions that have mixed numbers and whole numbers can’t use the Mean and Extreme method. You have to make the mixed numbers improper fractions and then the whole number a fraction by adding 1 as a denominator.

f. I learned that you can cancel to reduce in the mean and extreme method. Once you’ve figured out your answer you cancel diagonally to find out the reduced fractions value.

g. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! Is what you would have thought when you see a big scary complex fraction like this: 5/12 + 3 / ½ _______ 3 ½ x (1.4 – 1/8) but using the mean and extreme and the LCM and the birthday cake and the divide and conquer and the MAD face and the canceling method, you’ll get the right answer, right away! All you have to do is figure out the top fraction problem 5/12 + 3 / ½ just use the copycat method (right were using this method too!) 3 x ? x? x? x?. Numbers may vary. But at the end I came up 6/1 is the answer of 3 / 1/2. Then I used the birthday cake method and the LCM method to figure out that the numerator is equivilant to 77/12 then I reduced that using the MAD face method and the canceling method. Then I added the reduced fractions of both the numerator and denominator to figure out that this HUGE SCARY COMPLEX FRACTIONS IS = 44/3! DONE!

2. Science

a. I learned that cell-division causes many living things to grow.

b. The process of reproduction involves the replication of DNA

c. I learned that the argument that Dr. Don tells in this comic states that because cells reproduce, then they must be alive.

d. I learned that cell life can be demonstrated in many different ways, one way could be through plant life.

e. I learned that if a plant or any living thing grows significantly, then the rate of cell-division accelerates.

f. I learned that the organelle in this cartoon is the chloroplast, which conducts photosynthesis for plant cells.

g. the chloroplast’s outer shell, known as the membrane, is made up of molecules known as lipids.

3. History—“Elizabeth” 
 

After watching the movie “Elizabeth,” what did you learn about Tudor England? What did you like about the movie? What didn’t you like? What kind of queen was Elizabeth?

a. What Elizabeth did at the end of the first movie was that she cut off all her hair and paint her skin white so she could be as divine as the virgin Mary, and so that she could marry England.

b. I learned that in both “Elizabeth” movies all of her advisor’s kept sending in princes from all different countries so that maybe, she could choose to marry one of them.

c. Tudor England during the time of her reign, was a very happy and good place to be in. That is why they called her reign, “The Golden Age.”

d. I liked all of the fancy costumes and jewelry that Elizabeth wore in the movie. That was probably my favorite part.

e. I didn’t like all of the violence and intense deaths during the beginning part of the movie when “Bloody Mary” was queen.

f. I learned that Elizabeth looked up to her father, King Henry VIII

g. I learned that Elizabeth loved to dance, and watch other people dance. She seemed like a very happy queen.

4. Language

a. I learned that the months: September, October, November, and December all meant the same thing back then as they do now.

b. Septuaginta: seventy. Avia Emma is Septuagintaunus unow.  Grandmother Emma, Is seventy one years old.

c. Centsimus: One hundredth: Carlounus pinus Centsimus chezliee. Its Carlo’s Bakery’s one hundredth birthday.    

d. Viridis: green: Quercus folium Viridis. Trees leaves are green.

e. Crastinus Dies: Tomorrow. Apricatio procedo Crastinus Dies. The Sun will come out tomorrow.

f. Mellis: Honey. Suavis Mellis. As sweet as honey. 

g. At extremum: At last. Sofia huc at extremum!  Sophie is here at last!

5. ReadingThe Last Unicorn

a. What kind of literary style is the book written? *What are some elements to the language: This book is written in lyrical language which is what Shakespeare used in Midsummer night’s dream speeches, like Oberon’s. The descriptive sentences and fairytale land and rhyming couplets and funny stanzas are some elements that tell me that it’s lyrical language. 

b. Who is Peter S. Beagle? *nationality, age, when book published

Peter S. Beagle is the American author of “The Last Unicorn” which was published in 1968. He published “The Last Unicorn” when he was in his twenties. He’s still living today.

c. Who is your favorite character so far? Schmendrik the magician

d. How is this book different than ROTHMC? This book is written as a fantasy fiction novel, where as ROTHMC is historical fiction. They both are set for young adults but the authors have two different styles of writing. Peter S. beagle is lyrical and fantasy like. Mildred Taylor writes hers from a Southern, American way of talking and from a young girls point of view not a mythical animals. 

e. I like listening to “The Last Unicorn” better than ROTHMC, however I like ROTHMC’s story better because I can relate to it more. I’m not saying I don’t like “The Last Unicorn” though.  

f. I think that Captain Cully in “The Last Unicorn” is absolutely hilarious.

g. I think that I like lyrical writing better than a narrative story.

6. Writing—Write nice long blog about going to Regionals (with complete sentences & pay attention to punctuation and capitals) *Think about the Personal Narrative lessons.



It’s finally time; I thought when I arrived in Warwick Rhode Island exactly a week ago. It was the 2012 New England Regionals figure skating competition, and I was going to be skating in it. I have been practicing all year for this competition, I thought as I walked through the door to the arena. “Sophie, Sophie” I hear coming from the stands, it was my old dance partner Franzie. “Are you excited or what!” he asked me. I responded, “of course I am but really nervous too.” We both laughed and then he showed me to where his family was sitting on the bleachers. I sat down and me and my coach, Linda Despres watched the other skaters. We watched for about an hour before I had to go get ready for my practice ice. My grandmother, Emma, took me into the locker room. It was crowded with 12 year old girls, and I could smell the anxiety, or maybe that was the overload of hairspray one girl’s mother was putting on her! Whatever it was, I just ignored it because I didn’t need to think about that, all I needed to think about was me. So I put on my dress and skates and went outside of the locker room to gesture to my coach that it was time. Once she came over, it was time for the practice ice.

I stepped on the ice, stroked around for a bit and then started jumping. I did a great big waltz-jump and then an axel. I went through all of my double jumps and couldn’t seem to land my double lutz. Linda decided to take it out of my program because she didn’t want to take any chances, so I agreed and started spinning. Then they called my name to run my program and I got into position. I landed all of my jumps but didn’t get enough rotations on my spins. Linda said it was ok though, it’s not always good to have a good warm-up she said, and then I started laughing. Once practice Ice was over we went to the hotel to have dinner and then go straight to bed.

The next day we got to the rink pretty early and my mom had met up with us so she could do my hair. But don’t worry; we didn’t use that much hairspray! Before I knew it, it was time for the five minute warm up we got before we skated so the judges could get ready. I went through all my elements and then ran my program without the music. Once I finished all of that, they called us off the ice. I was very nervous. It would only be about six minutes before I skated. I started to get so nervous, I dropped my water bottle! Right when I was standing at the door, my coach wished me good luck and went to the stands and one of my other coaches that I take from in Massachusetts, Matt, came over and said to smile big and hold my landings, the old lady judges love that. Keeping that in mind I took my position and skated my heart out. I landed my first couple jumps and got all my rotations on my first spin but on an easy little sidestep my toe pick caught my tights and I fell. I lost a bunch of points there, but I got up and kept going. By the end of my program I was very happy. I landed all my jumps and got all my revolutions on all my spins. I felt beautiful. I placed really high for my first Regionals and thought of it as a wonderful experience. I can’t wait until next year!

 

7. Art

4.       Neoclassicism: Read page 9 in Art Styles book

a.       Summarize the Neoclassicism style:

Originally this style was called classicism. It was used during the 1400’s and 1500’s originally but was forgotten once mannerism “hit the scene.” The prefix neo was added when they started painting this style again in the 1700’s- 1800’s. Neoclassicism focuses mainly on mythology, and some of it’s characteristics include, a hero in the center of the action. A balanced  and orderly composition, or a moral message.

 

b.      What are some of Neoclassicism’s most important characteristics?

c.       Mythology,

d.      Heroes in the center

e.      Deaths

f.        A moral message

 


a.       What is “The Classical Ideal”? The classical idea is the style before neoclassicism in the renaissance times. Artists started neoclassicism with the idea of painting the classic stories of old European times.

b.      Click View Slideshow

c.       What do you notice about the images in the slideshow? They all have to do with either mythology or Greek/Roman history. A lot of them are statues of mythological gods or goddesses or philosophers

6.       Google search Images for the artists below & choose, Save As, Rename, and Copy one image per artist that best exemplifies the Neoclassical style:

a.       John Singleton Copley

 

b.      Jacques-Louis David

 

 

c.       Benjamin West

 

d.      e.  Think about what you learned about Neoclassicism and write one good sentence for each artist and the image you chose to describe why the art represents Neoclassical style to you:

1. John Singleton Copley represents a battle with a hero standing in the center of the picture characteristic neoclassicism. I think that this painting represents the Revolutionary war and America well.

2. Jacques-Louis David’s painting represents Roman neoclassicism wonderfully. I like this style and you can see the hero in the center perfectly.

3. Benjamin West’s photo represents a Greek myth I learned about in Minimus. This again represents the hero and the villain story.

*Use the four previous sentences about the Mannerism images along with the 3 sentences about Neoclassicism as your 7 things for Art today.

Use these 7 fo Art

1. John Singleton Copley represents a battle with a hero standing in the center of the picture characteristic neoclassicism. I think that this painting represents the Revolutionary war and America well.

2. Jacques-Louis David’s painting represents Roman neoclassicism wonderfully. I like this style and you can see the hero in the center perfectly.

3. Benjamin West’s photo represents a Greek myth I learned about in Minimus. This again represents the hero and the villain story.

d.      These pictures In the slideshow: They all have to do with either mythology or Greek/Roman history. A lot of them are statues of mythological gods or goddesses or philosophers

e.      Originally this style was called classicism. It was used during the 1400’s and 1500’s originally but was forgotten once mannerism “hit the scene.” The prefix neo was added when they started painting this style again in the 1700’s- 1800’s. Neoclassicism focuses mainly on mythology, and some of it’s characteristics include, a hero in the center of the action. A balanced  and orderly composition, or a moral message.

f.        The classical idea is the style before neoclassicism in the renaissance times. Artists started neoclassicism with the idea of painting the classic stories of old European times.

g.        

h.      What are some of Neoclassicism’s most important characteristics?

i.         Mythology,

j.        Heroes in the center

k.       Deaths

l.         A moral message

No comments:

Post a Comment