Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

January 14, 2011 Day Eighty-Three

5 x 5 for 5th Grade

5 Vocabulary

1. Whittle: To cut or shape a piece of wood by carving off bits with a knife

2. Industry: Any mass business such as lumber, textile, and shipbuilding

3. Industrious: An adjective that describes people who work hard and produce a lot

4. Zygomatic arch: A scientific word cheekbone located the masseter

5. Foramen magnum: The largest of the holes in your skull that allows nerves, arteries, and veins to go through

5 Sentences

1. A famous women in the colonial times name was Sarah Whittle.

2. There were industries back in the colonial times, but they are more popular today.

3. In the colonial families almost everyone was industrious.

4. I think on our "My Human Body project" The Zygomatic arch should be made out of the orange playdough.

5. The foramen Magnum is sort of the same as the mental foramen, but in a different location on the skull.

5 Facts & Details

1. The heaviest pepper in the world weighs total of 64 pounds!

2. The oldest tightrope walker walked across a canyon on his 82nd birthday!

3. The largest ball of human hair is 4 feet tall and weighs 167 pounds!

4. The largest ice-cream Sundae weighed 54,917 pounds!

5. The most expensive painting by an elephant costs 39,000 dollars!

5 Questions

1. Who was the military leader of the Pilgrims? A: Myles Standish

2. What is the correct spelling of Plymouth? A: "Plimoth" which is how William Bradford spelled it

3. How many Mayflower passengers died during the first winter? A: Fifty one

4. Who was the Pilgrim doctor and what is known about colony medical treatment? A: Dr. Samuel Fuller

5. Who were the survivors of the first winter? A: Of the 24 married men on the mayflower 8 survived the winter and 5 women of 18

5 Math from Fraction Stories Skill—Adding & Subtracting Fractions with Like denominators *information & figures taken from workbook story

1. 6/7 + 3/ 7 = 9/7 or 1 2/7

2. 6/7 – 3/ 7 = 3/7

3. 3/5 + 2/5 + 4/5 = 9/5 or 1 4/5

4. 3/5 + 2/5 = 5/5 or 1

5. 1 7/5 *she did this one in her head and was right!

Activities:

Gray's Anatomy: Jaw, Cheekbone, Nasal cavity

Silent Reading: The Phantom Tollbooth, Chapter 11 "The Silent valley" Milo, Tok, and the Humbug started on their journey again for Rhyme and Reason and went through the Valley of Sound, which was actually the "silent valley" because not a word could be spoken there. All of the citizens in the valley couldn't stand it. They told Milo and his friends the story about why they couldn't talk. More and more people kept coming into the valley of Sounds where all of the sounds in the world were made, which made the sound in the valley grow softer and softer until there was no sound at all. The people of the Valley of Sound asked Milo if he could go to the Sound Keeper, the ruler of the Valley of Sound, and steal sound from her collection, load it in the cannon and save the Valley of Sound. He accepted. The Sound Keeper loved silence and that was another reason why the Valley of Sound was silent. The sound Keeper gave Milo a tour of her fortress and into the rooms where she kept her sounds and into the rooms where she invented her sounds, where Milo noticed that if he started to say a word in his thinking but quickly closed his lips so the word was stuck in his mount, he wouldn't have to steal the sound and get in trouble, he could do it himself! And that's what he did to get sound back to the valley."

Math workbooks: 1 page Guinness, 2 pages Sylvan Review of Skills—pretty good, about 80%--small, fixable mistakes

Summary: The New Americas, by Maestros pg 15-25 "When colonizing became more popular, more people were able to do it! There were so many colonies now that almost all of the 13 colonies were made up. Maryland, Delaware, parts of New York and Manhattan Island and more in between were all colonized by 1638! The Native Americas were losing a lot of land now. They started to get angry, especially the Pequiot Indians in Connecticut and they started the Pequiot War and so many Native Americans were killed and even some colonists. Although in lower Canada the French and the Dutch liked the Indians and were trading with them, they were trading for beaver furs, which were very popular in Europe at that time."

17th & 18th Century Europe Power Point Presentation & Questions: Part 1 *Presentation and Questions/Answers will be uploaded next week after we complete Part 2

Colonial Letters Project: Letter 1

My Dearest Aunt Sarah,

I know I have not seen thee in such a long time and how you are at such distance I hope you are at most health. Mother has a new baby born, Samuel Alden and he is at most health, Blessed be God Almighty. Father is busy as always and he asked me to bid you a hello for we all miss you terribly. I have reached the age of ten now and have started teaching Mary and Elizabeth candle making. My sisters and brothers are in good health, I thank God but bless him to help little Timothy who is terribly sick.

I got badly injured last year while I was helping my dearest brother Edward carry water, we were messing around and he pushed me to the ground and dropped the bucket on me. I am fine now, I hope thee has had no sever injuries lately.

Mother said I was being very diligent and industrious lately. I am very proud of myself. Anna has now taught me how to prepare meals, She said I am not that much useful but Mother told me I was.

My beloved Aunt Sarah, I am so very grateful to have written to thee. I thank God for having you as my aunt. I hope that I will be able to communicate with thee more. The Lord in Mercy fill your heart with goodness.

Love your niece

Ruth Alden


 

1 comment:

  1. what a great letter sophie and now it gives me something to start creating/gathering the items that you can choose from to make your collage. i am looking forward to watching the power point also.
    gama

    ReplyDelete