Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011 Day Eighty-Eight

5 x 5 for 5th Grade

5 Vocabulary

1. Maritime: Of or pertaining to the water usually particularly the sea

2. Evangelical: A certain kind of Protestant Christian who believes that the New Testament in the Bible is the most important thing and is always right

3. Arteries: The tubes that carry nutrient and oxygen-rich blood away from our heart and in to other parts of the body

4. Lymph nodes: The large tissue masses that help remove the Dead cells and foreign material

5. Optic nerve: The nerve that carries to the brain the signals that you see

5 Sentences

1.Caca and me went to the Maritime museum before we both agreed that it was very boring!

2. I bet Evangelical people read the bible every day I know they pray to him every day.

3. You have in several artery tubes in your body.

4. I bet on my body we will tissue paper for the Lymph Nodes

5. One reason that you sleep is because you have to rest optic nerves before to the next day.

5 Facts & Details

1. My favorite singers right now are Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift

2. A guy from Malaysia pulled a train a distance of 13 feet and 9 inches with his teeth!

3. The largest monster truck was named Bigfoot #5

4. Bigfoot #5's tires are 10 feet tall!

5. The World's tallest man is 8 feet 1 inch!

5 Questions

1. What is known about some of the ships that arrived in the Colony's early years? A: There were 5 ships that arrived in Plymouth between 1621 and 1623

2. Who came on the Anne and the James in 1623 and who did she marry? A: Alice Southworth William Bradford's wife

3. What happened to the ship the Sparrow Hawke? A: It sailed north

4. Who was the last surviving Mayflower passenger? A: Mary Allerton Cushman

5. How long did the Plymouth Colony exist and what happened to it? A: about 30 years, too many settlers came over

*Bonus Question: How many pints of blood does a 150 pound person have flowing through his/her body? A: 11 pints

5 Math from Fraction Stories Skill 9: working with pie-chart of missing homework excuses fractions: 4/15 1/15 2/15 8/15 *Sophie's answers are correct.

1. 6/15 or 2/5

2. 5/15 or 1/3

3. 10/15 or 2/3

4. 7/15

5. 15/15 or 1

Activities

Math Workbooks Guinness 2 pages, Sylvan 1 page Long Division

Gray's Anatomy 2 pages, Lymph Nodes & arteries

Skate—1 hour private lesson

Colonial Letters: Letters 3 & 4 (unedited or revised)

Family Letter 3

My Dearest Niece Ruth,

I have very much enjoyed getting letters from thee. Now it is my turn. I am at most health I thank God. I am glad to hear that you and your family are as well. I think you will be glad to hear that I have gotten proposed to by Edward Harris one month ago and I accepted, our wedding will be in one month. My dowry will be the money to go to the Jamestown Colony In the new World.

Edward works for the shipping industry. I might stop by Plymouth a few times while I am with my beloved Edward on his travels.

Everything here in England is so busy. I wish I was on the calm cozy coast of the New World with you and your family. King Charles the first is not a very good king here in England. So you say your father is making a group of men who do not want to be subjects of the king. I think that's a very impressive theory, Edward would like to be part of that group. You should not be afraid of your parents calling each other different names maybe the tithingman said they should.

It has been my pleasure talking with you Ruth, Now please let me ask you a few questions. How is Plymouth Colony and who is the governor? How many children do you have in your family now? What does your father do for work? Thank you Ruth, I hope you are at health still. I love you dearly

Aunt Sarah


 

Family Letter 4

Dear Ruth,

I am now Mrs. Sarah Harris. I got married to Edward two days before today. It is hard being a wife, there is so many chores. I remember when I was your age learning to do all the work that is so important now. I hope you are working hard because trust me, you will need to do all this work often when you get older.

Edward and I are expecting to have a baby before we go to Jamestown. Edward has already started whittling the cradle. You need to help me choose a name, do you think you can do that Ruth? If it is a girl I was thinking Rachel, I always treasured that name. If it is a boy, Daniel I like that name. If you have any other ideas please let me know in your next letter.

I am so sorry to hear about Timothy, your family must have been in terrible misfortune. I wish I could have seen Timothy before the angels carried him away, but remember God has sent him to watch over us and to make us behave well.

I am at health and again have been wishing to ask you some questions. Have you any friends in the New World? How many settlers have become part of your colony? Are you wishing to come back to England? Thank you again Ruth hope you are at health and safe I pray to God. I love you dearly

Aunt Sarah Harris

Websquest:

January 2011 Triangle Trade Route & Middle Passage in Colonial America WebQuest

  1. A: Read website. Write summary & definition of the Triangle Trade here: Goods were sent from Great Britain to Africa were the goods would be traded for slaves. The slaves would go to the New world to work as slaves for the colonists, there were about 10 million slaves. The supplies and raw materials from the new World was sent again to Great Britain to make the goods for Africa completing the triangle. This trading system went on for years up until the revolutionary war.

    B: Click to enlarge image, then Copy, Paste, & Save As in AA School Trade 1


     

  2. A: Follow the directions for Activities 1-3.

    1. What products were traded from the West Indies to the 13 colonies? A: Slaves sugar and molasses

    2. Where did the colonists ship goods? A: The West indies England and Africa

    3. Use back of this sheet to make chart.


     

  3. A: Watch video


     

  4. A: Read website and answer questions.

    1. What good did the colonies of Massachusettes and Rhode Island produce some of the best in the world? A: rum
    2. Where was the final product from New England shipped to and what goods was it traded for? A: West coast of Africa, gold and slaves
    3. What was the transportation of slaves from Africa to the West Indies called? A:

      The Middle Passage


       

    4. A: Read website

B: Read, copy & paste quote at top of page here: "The stench of the hold…was so intolerably loathsome that it was dangerous to remain there for any time…but now that the whole ship's cargo were confined together, it became absolutely pestilential. The closeness of the place and the heat of the climate, added to the number in the ship which was so crowded that each had scarcely room to turn himself, almost suffocated us"

Olaudah Equiano


 

C: Choose one of the three images on website to Copy, Paste, and Save As "Middle Passage 1"


  1. A: Watch video


     

  2. A: Watch Video

  3. A: Watch Video

  4. Summarize in well-written, 10 sentence paragraph what you learned about the Slave Trade & the Middle Passage by watching the videos in steps 5-7.


     

    The slave trade and the middle passage were a bad part of our history. The slaves going across the ocean were so misfortunate and there were so many that came. There were 10 million slaves that came over to America. This is sort of how the civil war started. Most of the slaves in the 21st century have this bad past which makes me feel so sad. They were treated so horribly. The worst part is that no Europeans felt bad for the slaves, If I was a European, I would.


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment