Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 23 & 24th, 2011 Days One-hundred and four and One-hundred and five


 

Activities

Skating Test: Monday February 21: Sophie's Blog: Hi, I am back from skiing! I went skiing at Sugarloaf after I was done testing, here is my dramatic story about my test: 7 a.m, My alarm clock rang and I jumped up filled with nervousness and excitement. Sadie was here, we both got ready in the short time frame we had, jumped out the door, and got into the car to go skating. Once we got into the rink, I was even more excited. I quickly got my skates on and jumped on to the ice as if it was heaven. We had show rehearsals and I had a great time. But once I stepped off the ice, I felt like a super hero, stopping once to get a grilled cheese, thanked Emma for getting it for me, and rushed in to the locker room where I changed and got my hair and makeup done. After that was done I rushed on to the ice again for another rehearsal and then jumped in to the car for testing. I was watching clue on the way up, it calmed me down. I got in to the rink ready for warm up AND ROB WASN'T THERE! Sadie and Caroline surprised me by showing up early to watch and support me, but how could I test without a partner, which is my coach. I got on for warm up, Rob wasn't there! My heart was pounding, What was I to do but skate. Skate like it was the only thing that would save me, skate like it was everything I cared about. I was about to go on and Rob surprised me, by showing up, taking his guards off and hoping on to the ice. I did great on both my tests! But I still was nervous about passing them. Connie said it was not likely, which put my hopes down. I went up to Rob who was smiling to himself and looking at papers that looked like test sheets. When I got up to him he said I didn't pass. But I looked at the papers myself and realized… I DID!!!!!! It was an amazing adventure and I am so proud of myself. Off to Sugarloaf from there! J


 

Skiing with cousin at Sugarloaf for school vacation week: Sophie's Blog: Off to Sugarloaf from there! That is exactly what I did! Amanda, Ben, and Connie were coming skiing with me. We stopped to get a quick a quick bite at Applebee's where we all played hangman. Then Connie and I went in Emma's car where we finished watching Clue and started watching grease. We got to Sugarloaf, WOW IT IS BIG!!! We went in the pool, watched T>V and went to bed. The next morning I stayed at the condo while A,B, and C went to get their rental equipment. Andy came back for me, and we rode up Snubber chairlift from the condo. We got there perfect timing with A,B,C, and E ( Amanda, Ben, Connie, and Emma!) And went to Whiffletree, skied 2 runs, and then went inside for hot chocolate and donuts! We skied the rest of the day, and Wednesday. I did school each days too. Well anyway….I HAD A BLAST! J

Math Workbooks: Guinness 4 pages, Sylvan 3 pages

Science: Gray's Anatomy 2 pages

Eyes, Nose, & Ear Poem

The eyes nose and ears

Don't give me fears

But they appear

On everyone's face!


 

The part of the eye that's cool

The vitreous humor, the jelly like pool,

And photocepters which turn light into

Electrical signal receptors!


 

The smallest bones are in your ear.

The ossicles, the hammer, anvil, and stirrup are near

They're close to your eardrum—

You shouldn't fear them!


 

Nasal cavities are cool, don't you agree?

I've got a nasal bone septum in me

They are both in the nose

They can help you smell a rose!


 

Salem Witch Trials Video Quest:


 

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbcWhaLA8A
  2. http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Salem_Witch_Trials/70107984?trkid=2734329#height1659

Salem Witch Trials 5 x5

5 vocabulary words

1. Gallows: A wooden frame consisting a crossbeam on two uprights, used for hanging

2. Execution: The project of performing a judgment or sentence in court

3. Allegation: An assertion made with little or no proof

4. Affliction: A state of pain distress or grief

5. Jury trial: A trial of which the jury serves as the Trier of fact

5 facts/details

1. The year they passed the bill was 1711

2. They killed the first witches on June 19, the second on July 19, 3rd on August 19, and 4th on September 19, what a coincidence! J

3. The best-known trials were conducted by the town of Oyer and Terminer

4. Nineteen of the accused, fourteen women and five men, were executed by hanging.

5. One man, Giles Corey, refused to enter a plea and was crushed to death under heavy stones in an attempt to force him to do so. At least five more of the accused died in prison.


 

5 Sentences

1. There are some Gallows at the Pownal-borough courthouse, right in the front yard.

2. There were 2 different ways for execution, being burned at the stake and being hanged.

3. Almost all the witches were mad because they had allegation.

4. There was a lot of affliction in 1692 Salem Mass.

5. Most of the Jury trials during 1692 were bad.

5 Questions

1. How many witches were tried in Salem? A: 80

2. How many people were accused of witchcraft in Salem? A: 150

3. How many people confessed to being witches? A: 50

4. What does the word "Salem" mean? A: Peace

5. Were there witches in Salem? A: NO!

5 Important People

1. Reverend Parris: The owner of the first witch Tituba

2. Tituba: A slave who was the first believed witch

3. Sarah Good: The 3rd believed witch, who was a witch because she did not attend Church

4. Rebecca Nurse: The second Witch, who's house is a historical site

5. Anne Putnam: Ann Putnam, jr., was a key witness in the Salem Witch Trials; her mother, Ann Putnam, sr., was also involved and gave testimony in the witchcraft trials. Modern theories blame the witch craze, at least in part, on Putnam family feuds with and revenge on neighbors and others.


 

Video Plan: Jamestown

Colonial Video Template

Location: Jamestown

Date:
April 2nd or 3rd

Theme: Conflict

Spots:

1.Indian Village: Indian Wars

2. Museum: Jamestown survival

3. The fort: slavery

4. Row House: French Indian war

5. Africa to Virginia: trade Triangle

Topics:

1. There were Indian wars through all the 13 colonies

2. It took 3 tries for Jamestown colony to survive

3. Slavery was the largest force to migration in History

4. The French and Indian were not fighting against each other, they were fighting with each other J

5. The trade triangle went on for about 100 years and was one of the causes of the Revolution

Facts & details:


 

Interview:

1. Native American: Did the Powhatan Indians have wars with the Jamestown Colonists?

2. Colonist: Who were all the governors of Jamestown and who is the Governor now?

3. Colonist Man: What was the name of the ship that you came over here with?

4. Colonist lady: How did you feel about coming to the New World for the first time?

5. Colonist Man: Were you competing with Plymouth colony?

Map & Outline:

http://historicjamestowne.org/visit/

http://www.nps.gov/jame/index.htm

http://historyisfun.org/

Indian Village:

The musuem:

The fort:

Africa to Virginia:

Row House




 


 



 

Introduction & Conclusion:

Introduction: HI everyone, Our first stop through history will be in Jamestown. And look were here! We will be talking about Conflict here in Jamestown, Conflict through Indians and Colonists. There were tons of Indian Wars through the 13 colonies. Come on, I'll tell you about it!


 

Conclusion: So that was fun right! Jamestown is a wonderful place! We will be having so much fun from here on. Didn't you learn a lot? I sure did! Let's go learn some more in Plymouth Massachusetts where we will talk about Family life in the colonies. Come on I'll show you the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment