Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

February 4, 2011 Day Ninety-Four

5 x 5 for 5th Grade

5 Vocabulary

1. Ear canal/ temporal bone: The opening in the skull for the ear canal

2. External jugular: The most important vein of your neck following close behind in responsibility, the Internal jugular vein

3. Larynx: The upper part of the voice box where the hyoid bone is

4. Apprentice: A young boy studying from the master of the job they want to do example craftsman, they would treat apprentices like indentured servants

5. Pew: The benches in the Churches both The Church of England and the puritan churches in the New World

5 Sentences

1. The temporal bone is not the same as the temporal artery but they are next to each other.

2. All of the other veins in the skull and neck somehow connect to the External jugular and the Internal jugular.

3. The Larynx is a fancy scientific word for The Voice box.

4. One of the most common jobs for an apprentice to learn to do was a blacksmith.

5. Ruth and her family probably sat on the 4th pew with her mother on the woman's side.

5 Facts & Details

1. Most people know the Thyroid Cartilage as Adams Apple

2. In colonial times the women and the men could not sit together.

3. The heaviest fish ever caught weighed 1,280 pounds!

4. The longest mustache ever is 14 feet long!

5. Cosimo Ferruci ripped the most telephone books in 2 minutes he ripped 32 exactly!

5 Questions

  1. Who were the four Indians who provided valuable assistance to the Plymouth Colony?

A. Squanto or Tisquantam: He taught them how to plant food

B. Massasoit: The Sachem of the Wampanoag Indians who had peace with the Pilgrims

C. Hobbamock: he translated for both sides an interpreter

D. Samoset: The Sachem for the Abenaki tribe in Maine, he was nice and greeted the pilgrims after hearing the news that they arrived

2. How did an epidemic contribute to a peace agreement with the Wampanoag tribe? A: Because 90% of the Indians died from sickness and it wouldn't be bad to be friends with just like 10 Indians, I wouldn't want to get into another war

3. What important role in New England history was played by the sons of Massasoit? A: Metacom, or King Phillip didn't like the colonists on his land. So after Massasoit died and he became King, He started King Phillips war

4. Do the terms "forefathers" or "founding fathers" specifically apply to the Pilgrims? A: Not according to Webster's Universal College Dictionary

5. What artifacts remain from the 1620 voyage of the Mayflower? A: William Brewster's chest, an iron pot by Myles Standish, and some bibles owned by William Bradford and John Alden

5 Math from 40 Fabulous Math Mysteries kids can't resist "The Plucked Pay"

1. How much was Norman's bonus? A: 25%

2. $360 X.25 = $ 90.00

3. 360 / 4 = 90

4. 360 + 90 + 40= 490

5. How did Emma and Will know that Norm hadn't been robbed? A: He did the math wrong, he calculated $360 + his bonus $40 = 400 + 25% raise = 500, he added his bonus to his weekly, and he calculated his raise on that that made 500 dollars instead of the 490 he had.


Summary for," They led the Way": They Led the way is a story about the famous women throughout the history forming America. Most of the women fighting for rights. Today I read about Anne Hutchingson and Anne Bradstreet. Anne Hutchinson was a woman in Colonial days who taught to other women who came to her house more about religion. She was accused of that by her husband and his friends. General Cotton Mather came to her to make sure she was preaching to the women and threatened to put her on trial. She didn't take the easy way out and was forced out of the colony of Massachusetts and sent to Rhode Island and then to New York where she got killed by a Native American. Anne Bradstreet and her children's house burnt down and she wrote a poem about it, she was the first American Poet ever.

Colonial Letters: Topic School & Church 2, 3, 4

Dear Aunt Sarah,

Harvard, the new university here in the new world has doubled in population with boys. I believe that girls should be as educated as boys, but that is such a silly idea Mother says. Edwards schoolmaster said that he was doing a fine job and would do well in the Academie so he got sent off. I am proud of him, he says he wants to be an apprentice for the Importing and Exporting business. Do you think he will do well there? Father says that Edward will make a fine bookkeeper. Father and Mother bid you a hello. Here are pictures of them for you. Myles showed me the hornbook and the New England Primer, They are tools for school and I wish I could use them. There is a new school theory here and it is for the poor children and the children of the indentured servants, it's called the Free School. I am inspired by the men here who invented that giving chances for education to everyone.

Cotton Mather is a famous preacher here in the New World and he came to our colony the day before present. He read to the Congregation in the church, I like him better than our normal preacher here. Our Pew order has changed again, we got moved back because we have a new elder in our Church. There is a family here who does not believe that the New Testament is wrong. They only believe in the Old Testament. I think Satan should come for them but hopefully not for me.

Aunt Sarah, I haven't gotten the chance to ask you some questions so if you will let me I would like to. How soon are you coming over to the Jamestown colony? Will you be visiting Plymouth at all? How is England and is it a pleasure to move away? Thank you, I am at health Bless God almighty.

Thank you again, Ruth Alden

School and church letter 3, Sarah


 

Dear Ruth,

I am also going to start answering the few questions and give you some advice as you did in your first letter. I like the Idea of naming the boy Timothy, but it is a girl and I am naming her Rachel as you said. I am glad to know you have friends there, Silly Puritans, Try not to let Patience bother you she just learns from her family. I am glad to know you and Samantha are practicing the hymns and prayers from the bible and psalm. Your popularity has gone huge, thank you for letting me know. I will be coming over to Jamestown next month because the ship here got delayed. Luckily enough on the way to Jamestown we will be on a trade ship and I will be stopping by Plymouth for a few days. The plague's and the famine here is getting worse. I am glad to be going to the New World.


 

When I was your age I wished I could go to the university's here in England and I bet your mother did to but she only says it's foolish because women do not have an opinion on anything. I was schooled by a governess and her husband worked for the university as a schoolmaster so she taught just like him and it wasn't as pleasant as you may think. Your Mother and Father look nice, Bid them back a hello from me as well. That Dartmouth University sound like a swell theory, I think Myles will do fine in that.

Church does not seem as bad as people say back here. They say the Puritans Persecute every Anglican that even thinks of disagreeing with what they think, I am glad to know it's not. It must be colder than the cold breeze that comes when Satan is here to control another person.

I am still at health but will ask you more questions if I may, Have you been learning about the Gospel? What are the names of the children in your family, they have slipped my mind? -Aunt Sarah Harris

School and Church letter 4, Sarah


 

Dear Ruth,

I am on the ship to go Jamestown, stopping in Plymouth along the way. I will see you in about 2 months, we will be in the settlement of Quebec for a few days but I will see you after that. You will be exited to know that you know have a cousin, Rachel Ruth Harris, after you of course. I didn't answer all of your questions my last letter so if I may, You shouldn't think that if people have different religion than you that Satan should come and get them.

The voyage is rough when you come here I have already experienced two weeks full of lonely gray waters and sickness. Edward is sick with a fever and I have a cold. You were lucky to be born in the colony and not struggling to survive these cold nights in a cabin of the ship but I know it will be worth it in the end.


 

So you say William Bradford is the Governor now, is he doing a nice job? I am glad to get away from all the Mercantilism business and King Charles back in England. Are you having trouble with the Indians or are they good to you?

I am hoping to get better, Pray to God. I hope Edward will as well, Pray to God. As the baby stands clear of no sicknesses, we hope she stay the same. I miss you and it has been a pleasure writing to you.

-Aunt Sarah Harris

Math Worksheets: Guinness 1 page, Sylvan 2 pages

Gray's Anatomy

No comments:

Post a Comment