Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 18


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned   September 28, 2012     Day 18

1.       Math

a. I learned about copycat fractions, Copycat fractions are fractions with the same number as the numerator and denominator such as 3/3 or 2/2. Copycats come in handy when you are trying to find the reduced fraction.

b. Finding the Greatest common factor is an easy was to find the reduced fractions of numbers up to 50

c. I learned that some equivalent fractions to ½ are 2/4 3/6 10/20, I figured this out by multiplying ½ by common copycats such as 2/2

d. I learned that reducing a fraction does not mean that you’re reducing the value of the number, you’re just simplifying how the fraction looks, like 128/192 looks better like 2/3 which is the value of 128/192

e. I learned that 12/30 reduced fraction is 2/3

f. I learned that just like in English language, in math, there are a lot of ways of writing the same value, especially when it comes to fractions

g. I learned an equivalent fraction of 4/3 is 12/9

2. Science

a. Q. What information does this cartoon provide on many-celled living things?

A. This cartoon says that many-celled organisms have multiple systems and levels some include, tissues, systems, atoms, and cells

b. Q. What two important points does the cartoon make about cells?

A. A cell includes organelles and at a smaller level molecules and that they are the smallest unit of life

c. Q. Identify one type of living thing that does not have all eight levels of organization?

A. A single-celled microorganism does not have a system or tissues making it not have eight levels of organization. 

d. Q. Which levels of organization are alive? Which organizations are not?

A. Alive: Organs, cells, tissues, organisms, systems. Not alive Atoms, organelles, and molecules.

e. Q. Compare and contrast cells with atoms. How are they similar? How are they different?

A. They are both small, they both make up things, atoms are not alive, cells make up living organisms, atoms make up objects.

f. I learned that the nucleus is an organelle.

g. I learned about the Hierarchy of life through a cycle organizer about the cardiovascular system.

3. History

*Continued work on Can You Find? book

4. Language

a. *How is the imperfect tense like the passive voice? The imperfect tense and passive voice are similar because they both describe the past tense where the active voice and the present tense explain what’s happening in the present tense

b. I learned that octavus means eighth in Latin ordinals.

c. I learned two kinds of animals in the chapter, canes means dogs and aper means boar.

d. I learned about compound verbs, compound verb is where you take a simple verb like sum, which means I and add a prefix to it, like absum which means I am away

e. I learned a Latin idiom, nobiscum which means with us, it is a preposition 

f. I learned that in Roman times, Britain was famous for producing excellent hunting dogs which Flavius and his friend used on their hunting trip.

g. I learned it would take about eight or nine days before a baby was named in roman times, it was a special event and the grandmother was supposed to provide bullas which are gold necklaces that the babies would where until they got married.

5. Reading

a. I used a chart to compare Prairie dogs and domestic dogs based on what I learned from the reading passage in my notebook. Prairie dogs live in the Prairie; domestic dogs live in human houses

b. Domestic dogs eat dog food, trash, bones, and grass; Prairie dogs east grass and herbs like cattle

c. Prairie dogs have dwell in underground tunnels; Domestic dogs dwell in doghouses

d. Both prairie dogs and domestic dogs bark at the sight or sound of danger

e. Domestic dogs are related to wolves; Prairie dog are related to squirrels

f. I learned that prairie dogs and domestic dogs on average share two things in common, they both eat grass and both bark

g. I learned that because Prairie dogs bark like domestic dogs, that’s how they got their name.

6. Writing

Lesson 4: Writing Notebook—Personal Narrative

 August 2007, when I was 6 years old I qualified to compete in a figure skating competition in Colorado Springs, Colorado. When we got there, we were invited to a big opening ceremonies event. All my cousins and friends and I from Maine were really excited. The next day I would compete in the freestyle event with my “beautiful program” as I called it. I was really nervous because I was competing against the whole country. I was in the beginner level competing against many other little 7 year old girls, in fact there were about twenty! I competed and I was very happy with my performance. In fact I got 4th place which I was happy about. Fourth place does not receive a medal but I did get to be in newspapers all over the country, that was exciting! I was done competing for a while after that, I didn’t skate again for another couple of days.

The next day my cousins, Amanda Ben and Connie were going to compete. I was so happy and excited to support them and watch them skate. Amanda was competing against some of her friends from Maine which was kind of upsetting. It’s always hard when you have to compete against your friends because the results might tear your friendship apart. However, Amanda skated beautifully and it did not bother her at all that one of her friends scored a higher placement than she did, I looked up to her for that. Everybody was ready to compete again the next day, including my cousins. We would all be doing Showcase, my favorite part of competitions. This was where you would have real costumes and fun music that you would perform to. My music was Buffalo gals, skip to my Lou, Polly Wolly Doodle all the day all mashed up together and I wore a wonderful little cowgirl outfit covered with rhinestones and sparkles.

I was nervous let me tell you! There were ten girls and 5 of them were wearing cowgirl outfits like mine. How could I beat them? However I was only seven and I wasn’t bothered much about that, I was worried about them having the same music as me! I got on the ice for my warm-up and saw the other girls practicing; I started getting really scared but then realized that this would not make a good impression on the judges so I started smiling! People said that I smiled so big and so hard that it looked like my teeth were going to come out! My name was called by the announcer. “And now Miss Sophie Calderwood representing the Skating club of Brunswick and the state of Maine”  I grabbed my 5 foot tall light up moon and carried it to center ice, took my opening pose and skated like my life depended on it! I was so impressed with my performance and so was my family and coach. Later we had to wait for an hour to get the results. We were just about ready to leave because my 1 year old sister was starting to cry and disturb everybody, when Travis, My friend Shania’s brother shouted out, she got 1st! I ran to the scoreboard yelling “WHAT” and realized it was true. I was so proud of myself and my family was too. Now, among my 65 medals, that big gold one that I won at the State games of America is still my favorite.              

7.Art—personal drawings & projects




No comments:

Post a Comment