Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Personal Narrative Final: State Games of America by Sophie Calderwood


The State Games of America
In August 2007, when I was 6 years old, I qualified to compete in a figure skating competition located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. When my family got there, we were invited to a big opening ceremony event. All my cousins and friends and I from Maine were really excited. The next day I competed in the freestyle event with my “beautiful program,” as I called it. I competed against the whole country and I was really nervous. I skated in the beginner level against many other little 7 year old girls, in fact there were about twenty! I felt very happy with my performance after I competed, I got fourth place, which was super exciting. Fourth place did not receive a medal but I did get to be in newspapers all over the country, which was awesome! I finished competing for a while after that. I didn’t skate again for another couple of days.

The next day my cousins, Amanda Ben and Connie competed. I felt so happy and excited to support them and watch them skate. Amanda competed against some of her friends from Maine which, was kind of upsetting. It’s always hard when you have to compete against your friends because the results might tear your friendship apart. Amanda skated beautifully however, and it did not bother her at all that one of her friends scored a higher placement than she did. I looked up to her for that. Everybody was ready to compete again the next day, including my cousins. We all competed in the Showcase event, which is my favorite part of competitions. This is where you wear real costumes and perform to fun music. My music was “Buffalo Gals,” “Skip to My Lou,” and “Polly Wolly Doodle” all mashed up together, and I wore a wonderful little cowgirl outfit covered with rhinestones and sparkles.

I felt nervous, let me tell you! There were ten girls in my group and five of them were wearing cowgirl outfits like mine. Now you may think, how could I beat them?  I was only six back then and it didn’t bother me much, because I was just worried about them having the same music as me! I skated onto the ice for my warm-up and saw the other girls practicing. I started getting really scared but then realized that being nervous would not make a good impression on the judges so I tried smiling instead! My family said that I smiled so big and so hard that it looked like my teeth were popping out! The announcer called my name. “And now Miss Sophie Calderwood representing the Skating Club of Brunswick and the state of Maine.”  I grabbed my 5 foot tall light up moon and carried it to center ice, took my opening pose, and skated like my life depended on it! I felt so impressed with my performance and so did my family and coach! We waited an hour to get the results. We were about to leave because my one  year old sister started to cry and disturbed everybody, when Travis, my friend Shania’s brother, shouted out, she got first! I ran to the scoreboard yelling “What?!” and realized it was true. As you can imagine, my family and coach were so proud of me, me too! Now, among my 65 medals, that big gold one that I won at the State games of America, in Colorado Springs, is still my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment