Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Days 25 & 26


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned    October 11 & 12, 2012   Days 25 & 26

1.       Math--from 5 Minute Math Problems workbook

a. Anna has 15 coins in her purse, All are nickels and dimes. They total $1.35 how many of each does she have? A. 3 nickels and 12 dimes

b. Royce has $1.30 in dimes and quarters. He has one fourth as many quarters as dimes. How many of each does she have?

 (I used the birthday cake method to figure this out!) A. 8 dimes and 2 quarters

c. Letty has $5 in nickels, dimes and quarter. She has 3 times as many nickels as dimes. She has 5 times as much money in quarters as she does in nickels. How many of each does she have? 15 n, 5 dimes, and 15 quarters

d. I am the number between 2 feet and 2 yards. What number am I? 48

e. I am the number of tons in 5,000 pounds. What number am I? 2.5

f. I Am the difference between the number of minutes in a hour and a half, and the number of seconds in a minute and a half, What number am I? 0!!!

g. I am the difference between the number of inches in a quarter mile and the number of inches in 880 yards. What number am I? 15, 840

2. Science—Questions for Science Teacher Chapter 2. The good Earth

a. Q. Why do most Thunderstorms happen at night?

A. During the morning hours the air near the surface of the ground is cool. The Sun comes up and heats the air around it. The temperature doesn’t reach the dew point until late afternoon; the dew point is when thunderstorms start.

b. An average Thunderstorm lasts about thirty minutes

c. Q. Why can’t we feel Earth Spin?

A. The Earth is always flinging us away from the surface as it spins around, And we do weigh less than if the Earth didn’t rotate. We are not being held to the surface, the effect is just very tiny.

d. If Earth were spinning about thirteen times faster, we would probably feel it.

e. Q. Which way does Earth rotate?

A. The Earth rotates counterclockwise, as seen from above

f. Q. Why is Earth round?

A. All the planets are round because of gravity when the Earth and other planets were forming, gravity gathered up bits of gas and dust into bigger and bigger clumps. Collisions caused the material to be hot and molten.

g. Gravity pulled all the material inward as much as possible to make a sphere. Later all the molten materials cooled and stayed as a sphere.

3. History

a. I learned about how the Aborigines vanished. I learned that more Aborigines died of disease the British brought and the tribes shrank.

b. Settlers spread across the island and the British cattle replaced the Aborigines’ kangaroos so the Aborigines starved. The tribes shrank again.

c. The long suffering natives finally stopped having children altogether and that eventually made the tribes die out

d. Some aborigines even began to slaughter their own children…..babies can get in the way when you are fighting to survive.

e. In only 75 years the population of the Aborigines went from 20,000 to 0 thanks to the Brits.

f. I learned about Henry the 2nd and the mystery of history about how Thomas Beckett died, and if murdering him in the Church, on a Sunday, is what Henry the 2nd meant.

g. I learned that went Brits went to Africa; they killed elephants to get their tusks and make piano keys, combs, knife handles, false teeth and more out of them

4. Language—Queen’s English cards

a. Flummoxed: Bewildered, confused, perplexed, British sentence: I’m feeling a bit flummoxed me self. U.S translation: I’m feeling a mite discombobulated. Adjective  

b. Doolally tap: Adjective, British sentence: She’s gone completely dolally tap. Definition: Mad, insane, originally military slang.

c. Berk: noun, British sentence: I feel like a right berk! Definition: A fool, an incompetent, a very stupid person. U.s translation: I feel like a dufus!

d. Diamond geezer: noun, British sentence: He’s a diamond geezer! Definition: An excellent fellow, a sterling chap, a good man, U>S translation: He’s number one in my book.

e. Clobber: noun, British sentence: Get your clobber one! Definition: Clothes or belongings on! U.S translation: Get your best duds on.

f. Lugholes: noun, British sentence: “Pin back your lugholes!” definition: ears, hence pin back you r lugholes, means listen very carefully

g. Tiswas: noun, I’m all of a tiswas. Definition: nervous, U.S Translation: I’m all in a tizzy  

5. Reading

a. I learned that the story in my reading workbook, is about john F. Kennedy’s funeral on November 25, 1963

b. I learned that John F. Kennedy’s funeral was based on Abraham Lincoln’s.

c. I think that John F. Kennedy’s funeral was one of the saddest days in American history. Other ones would be, the sinking of the Titanic and 9/11

d. A symbol of a fallen leader was a missing fighter jet from an overhead formation.

e. Mrs. Kennedy had two children, John and Caroline, they held her hands as they walked up Pennsylvania avenue to the white house.

f. I think that the riderless horse was the most powerful symbol of a fallen leader at the funeral

g. I want to know your opinion of a greater loss, Abraham Lincoln or John F. Kennedy?  I think it was Kennedy

6. Writing

a. I learned about proverbs and how they contradict like,

Absence makes the heart grow fonder vs.   Out of sight, out of mind, these are contradictory proverbs and I think that the best advice would be a combination between the two.

b. Look before you leap vs. he who hesitates is lost. These are contradictory proverbs and I think that the best advice would be a combination between the two.

c. You’re never too old to learn vs. you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. These are contradictory proverbs and I think that the best advice would be a combination between the two.

d. I learned a new vocabulary word: Colloquialism, a word or phrase employed in conversational language or in slang, example, “Y’all come right back in ya ere!”

e. I wrote a descriptive writing piece on one time that I went to Target,

On one rainy day in July, my family and I needed to run some errands. One of the errands was to go to Target, the large department store on the other side of town. When we arrived, we ran quickly to the front entrance so we wouldn’t get completely soaked from the rain outside. It was nice to see the yellow-white colored bright lights mounted from the ceiling of the store since our house had no power. We decided to split up; my sister went with my dad, and me with my mom. First we headed to the café. I could smell the roasted coffee and the greasy pizza from an isle away! So good! My mom walked faster than I did, so when I tried to catch up with her, my squeaky sneakers slipped on the sleek floor and I fell down onto the hard ground. My mom laughed silently to herself and then asked me if I was ok. Frustrated with her I got up brushing the back of my rain jacket saying, “Ya, I’m good,” then we both laughed. After we got the coffee for my mom and a creamy milkshake for me and my sister, we shopped for an hour and then went home to our dark house.

f. I learned that adjectives and adverb can change a sentence so much. The sentence, “Marching in a parade can be tiring.” Look what happens when I add some adjectives and adverbs, “Swiftly marching in a long parade can be very tiring.”

g.  I learned that you can make long words with only three letters, like banana and cocoon. I had to find words with a little amount of letters and double the amount. I came up with, tattoo, papaya, and Hannah.

7. Art—Web Quest: Mannerism

1. I think that Parmigianino’s style represents the stretch of a figure very well; I think that Self portrait through a Convex Mirror is a good example for mannerism because it makes the illusion of distortion very clear.

2. I think that Angelo Bronzino’s piece is a good renaissance picture of mannerism because the distortion and contortion is subtle but still noticeable. The young lady’s forehead is stretched and her eyes were made larger.  

3. I love Giuseppe Arcrimbodo’s so much! It is a fantasy like style of mannerism. A man made of fruit! That is Giuseppe Arcrimbodo’s twist on this portion because it gives the painting a humorous look.
 

4. El Greco’s painting is very pretty. The imaginary setting makes the picture mannerism, but the lady is untouched. The pose she is in probably unnatural at the time, but I think this represents the Greek version of mannerism.

1. Michelangelo did some mannerism paintings, including the Last Judgment and Sistine Chapel frescoes

2. As a whole, mannerism tends to be more artificial and less naturalistic than other renaissance paintings.
 

3. Early mannerism was known for its “anti-classicalism”  

No comments:

Post a Comment