Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Days 19 & 20


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned   October 1 & 2, 2012   Days 19 & 20

1.       Math

a. I learned how to compare fractions by using the greater than and less than alligator mouths and copycat fraction!

b. I learned that 4/6 and 34/51 are equivalent fractions!

c. I learned that 4/5 is greater than ¾; ¾ < 4/5

d. I learned a really cool and easy method for comparing fractions, cross multiplication. Say you have 2 fractions, 2/5 and 6/15 you multiply diagonally across, 15 x 2 and 5 x 6 which both equal 30, so we know these two fractions are equivilant!

e. I used cross multiplication to figure out this problem, 17/51 < 1/3 

f. I used the copycat method to figure out this problem 2 1/3 = 21/9

g. I liked the cross multiplication method a little bit more than the copycat method because it is simpler

2. Science

a. I had to rewrite the definition of organism: An organism is a unit of life; it is made up of many cells. Major groups include plants, animals and even fungi.

b. rewrite definition: A system is inside an organism, it usually extends throughout the body. One system is the skeletal system.

c. The nucleus organelle stores a cell’s DNA. Other organelles of a cell perform different functions.

d. I learned that a molecule is smaller than a cell

e. I learned that atoms make up all matter. Atoms link to form molecules

f. Another example of a molecule, other than DNA is water and carbon dioxide

g. I learned that a micro-organism is a small organism.

3. History

a. I learned that slave buyers would try to only buy fit slaves, but if a slave faked being fit, the slave seller would but you, so there was absolutely no way that you would not become a slave, unless you died.

b. One black man aboard a slave ship wrote that the stench and crowding of the ship made it disgusting, and sicknesses traveled from person to person making almost 20 deaths every day.

c. Another black man wrote that one day his countrymen were allowed on theck, they were chained together and decided

d. I found this fact very disgusting: Slave buyers would not want to buy diseased slaves, but many slaves that survived the ship had diseases such as dysentery. Slave traders put ropes up their butts during slave markets so that poo did not drip down their leg during sail and they would get bought.

e. I learned that slaves who died on slave ships would be thrown into the ocean and fed to fish.

f. I learned that surviving slaves would get a red hot brand burned into their flesh with a number on it

g. I learned that slaves cheered themselves up by making music

4. Language

a. Latin vocabulary: amygdala: definition: almond: femine: Madelana is Sofia’s amicus soror, allegria amygdala. Madeline is Sophie’s friend’s sister, she is allergic to almonds.

b. Latin vocabulary: Albus: definition: white: feminine: Hiems albus nix.  Winter is full of white snow.     

c. Latin vocabulary: Hodie: definition: today: Sofia hi musica fleet hodie. Sophie had music lessons today

d. Latin vocabulary: vale: definition: farewell: Sofia ge vale amicus Laurena. Sophie said farewell to her friend Lauren

e. Latin vocabulary: Vaginti: pronounced: Waginti definition: twenty: Jakeus is Vaginti-quattor annum antiqqus: Jake is twenty four years old.

f. I learned that August is Sextilis, Sextilis was renamed Augustus in honor of the emperor in n8 BCE

g. Latin vocabulary: Anulus: definition: ring: masculine: Kevinus tribae Corria anulus. Kevin gave Corrie a ring.

5. Reading

a. Today, we finished, Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor. I really enjoyed learning about the Logan family.

b. I felt really sad when I learned that Papa Logan had gotten shot and got his leg broke, I also was really really sad when I learned that TJ probably died.

c. In a series of events, Papa set a fire on his cotton to try and save TJ; this was very brave because the cotton would pay for their tax money and mortgage money.

d. Mr. Granger went through with all of his threats, he is one of the many mean characters in this book.

e. I learned that cotton is very flammable especially when there is dry air.

f. We read one hundred pages of Roll of Thunder today; it was worth it because we finished the whole book!

g. I think that TJ was stupid, but I felt bad for him at the end

6. Writing
Personal Narrative lesson cont. = Revision
Revised Draft *use RED *

August 2007, when I was 6 years old I qualified to compete in a figure skating competition located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. When we got there, we were invited to a big opening ceremony event. All my cousins and friends and I from Maine were really excited. The next day I would compete in the freestyle event with my “beautiful program” as I called it. I was going to compete against the whole country and I was really nervous. I competed in the beginner level competing against many other little 7 year old girls, in fact there were about twenty! I was very happy with my performance after I competed. I got 4th place which was super exciting. Fourth place does not receive a medal but I did get to be in newspapers all over the country, which was exciting! I was done competing for a while after that, I didn’t skate again for another couple of days.

The next day my cousins, Amanda Ben and Connie were going to compete. I felt so happy and excited to support them and watch them skate. Amanda competed against some of her friends from Maine which was kind of upsetting. It’s always hard when you have to compete against your friends because the results might tear your friendship apart. However, Amanda skated beautifully and it did not bother her at all that one of her friends scored a higher placement than she did, I looked up to her for that. Everybody was ready to compete again the next day, including my cousins. We all competed in Showcase, my favorite part of competitions. This was where you would have real costumes and fun music that you would perform to. My music was Buffalo gals, skip to my Lou, Polly Wolly Doodle all the day all mashed up together and I wore a wonderful little cowgirl outfit covered with rhinestones and sparkles.

I was nervous let me tell you! There were ten girls in my group and 5 of them were wearing cowgirl outfits like mine. Now I would have thought, how could I beat them? However I was only six back then and it didn’t bother me much, I was just worried about them having the same music as me! I got on the ice for my warm-up and saw the other girls practicing; I started getting really scared but then realized that this would not make a good impression on the judges so I started smiling! People said that I smiled so big and so hard that it looked like my teeth were going to come out! My name was called by the announcer. “And now Miss Sophie Calderwood representing the Skating club of Brunswick and the state of Maine”  I grabbed my 5 foot tall light up moon and carried it to center ice, took my opening pose and skated like my life depended on it! I was so impressed with my performance and so was my family and coach. We waited an hour to get the results. We were about to leave because my one  year old sister started to cry and disturbed everybody, when Travis, My friend Shania’s brother shouted out, she got 1st! I ran to the scoreboard yelling “WHAT” and realized it was true. I was so proud of myself, my family and coach was too. Now, among my 65 medals, that big gold one that I won at the State games of America is still my favorite.

7. Music

a. I learned how to play Taylor Swift’s, Tim McGraw on the piano

b. I learned tricks for finding keys on the piano, Every Girl Buys Designer Fashion for Treble Clef, and Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge Always for Base clef

c. I learned that Treble Clef is played on the right hand and Base Clef is played with your left hand

d. I worked on sightseeing and putting in the different notes and keys on the music staff

e. I sang Castle on a Cloud from Les Miserables

f. I learned how to sing Sol Fej backwards

g. I also learned a new warm up to play on the piano…. The vowels!

No comments:

Post a Comment