Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Days 23 & 24


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned     Oct. 29, 2012    Days 23 & 24

1.       Math

a. I learned how to add and subtract fractions which is super hard

b. I learned that if fractions have the same denominator, that it is easy to subtract them, like 4/5 and 1/5 you just add up the top and keep the denominator, 4/5 + 1/5 = 6/5

c. Adding and subtracting fractions with different denominator is hard because you have to find the LCD them divide with copycats then add across and then reduce!  

d. 7/ 15 – 1/45 = 4/9

e. I used the birthday cake method to figure out the LCD the Lowest common denominator before I added or subtracted a fraction

f. I reduced 250/300 and 6/18 and then added them to get 1 1/6 which I turned into improper fraction, 7/6

g. I learned that fractions with the same denominators are common denominator fractions, because they have a lot in common, deep down below the fraction line!

2. Science

a. The nervous system, and other systems, is made up of tissues, which make up organs, which are in a system. Tissues are made of many cells, the neural tissue because it is inside the brain.

b. I learned that a cell and an organelle are different because a cell is living and an organelle is not alive however the organelle is inside a cell.

c. I learned that the Atom is the smallest unit of matter.

d. I learned that a molecule is a cell part that performs a specific function.

e. I learned that an organelle is a part of the body that serves a specific function since it is not alive .

f. I learned that the Aorta tissue is connected to the cardiovascular system.

g. I learned all about the neuron cell, did you know that is connected to the brain?

3. HistoryHorrible Histories  

a. Q. In Barma, the babies take a suck of their mother’s milk and then a suck on a cigar. True or false?

A. TRUE!

b. Q. The Nikkuls of Afghanistan worshiped one of the queen’s soldiers- John Nicholson, True or false?

A. TRUE!

c. Did you know that in Lucknow India, in 1857 some British soldiers ran out of tobacco, so they smoked tea leaves instead! How absurd!

d. Did you know that Sir Lanka, a British soldier, died after being attacked by a crocodile on a battle field?!

e. Did you know that one officer had a job of hanging a group of rebels; just for fun he hanged them in a figure eight!

f. I learned that the Indians rebelled against the British in 1857.

g. I learned that the Thugees that came from India to England in 1857 had a secret code.

4. Language

a. I learned about participles in this chapter of Latin.

b. I learned Placetne tibi means is it ok with you, or does it please you?  

c. I learned some participles, ducta = lead, empta = bought, iussus = ordered, missus = sent, vocatus = called

d. I learned that if a Latin participle is masculine it usually ends in us, and if a Latin participle is feminine it ends in ta.

e. I learned that Hispanica in Latin means Spanish, Lepidina looked at a Spanish slave at the slave market

f. Germinica is Latin for Germany, Flavius decided to buy a German slave named Trifosa, which means delicious

g. I learned that Graecca in Latin means from Greece.

5. ReadingThe Last Unicorn & workbook

a. Amber is hardened tree resin that has been fossilized

b. Because of amber, scientists have had to revise some theories about evolution

c. Most Amber is mined in the Baltic Sea area

d. The amber room of Tsar Peter the Great of Russia is being recreated, but the original is missing

e. Many pieces of Amber contain fossilized insects, plants, or animals

f. The amber room of Tsar Peter the Great is worth approximately $200 million

g. In The Last Unicorn, Mommy Fortuna has taken the unicorn to her Midnight carnival, with the help of Schmendrik the magician she lets all the disguised animals free.

6. Writing

a. Consecutive Class. “Try to find as many words as you can that have the same letter in a row”

Ball, fall, tall, call, mall, shall, hall, wall, soon, moon, cartoon, baboon, buffoon, fluff, raccoon, noon, cheese, knees, troops, loops, coops, oops, hidden, bidding, bitten, ridden, tripped, tipped, slipped, sipped, shipped, ripped, flipped, juggling, hugging, shrugging, tugging, chugging, giggling, lollipop, hammer, grammar, manner banner, canner, runner, funny, bunny, sunny, balloon, typhoon, maroon, macaroon, happen, trapped, nabbed, scabbed, fibbed, nibbled, dribbled, mopped, sobbed, matter, flatter, fatter, bitter, batter, butter, fuzzy, fluff, ruff, tuff, cuff, taffy, daffy, zoo, cocoon, monsoon, written, kitten, mitten, bitten, smitten,

b. In writing today I learned about descriptive writing.

c. I translated descriptive writing words out of a paragraph about a mega store, Descriptive sight words

See. Groceries on one side, Neon signs hanging from the ceiling five feet apart, yellow wastebasket      

d. Hear: Whining, whirring, back-up beeps of a scooter.

e. Smell: Spicy scent of grilled chicken coming from the café.

f. Touch: tall, cold glass

g. Taste: Spicy grilled chicken, sweet iced tea

7. British Culture

1. I learned how British people communicate with each other.

2. I learned that Jane Austen only had one portrait painted of her and it was a scribble painted by her sister.

3. I learned that Charles Dickens had two wives, and that he died at age 58.

4. I learned that BBC stands for British broadcasting network, its most of the shows appear on like, Eastenders and Are you being Served?

5. I learned that there have been over 6 James Bonds.

6. I really liked Mr. Bean and Monty Python because I really thought they were funny!

7. I learned that the Bronte sisters wrote Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

British Culture Web Quest

Monty Python:

1.       Flying Circus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218



Mr. Bean:



James Bond:




Charles Dickens:





BBC: 





Jane Austen:



Bronte sisters:



The Eastenders:




Are you being Served?



Upstairs/Downstairs:



Downton Abbey:


No comments:

Post a Comment