Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Days 74 & 75


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned                                January 9, 2013    Days 74 & 75

1.       Math

a. Ratios can compare hours, miles, and money. You can think of ratios as a real life way of using fractions- and they come up in word problems, too, so they are good to know

b. The units always need to be the same for a ratio to work

c. When you are writing a ratio, the numbers should have no common factors.

d. 60:20 = 3:1

e. 125:50 = 5:2

f. 16:12 = 4/3

g. 6: 60 = 10:1

2. Science

a. Cells are too small to be seen with the unaided eye, they are typically smaller than 1/10 of a millimeter

b. The microscope would be a turning point in the field of biology because it would allow scientists to examine life at the cellular level by looking at tissues and microorganisms. It would also ultimately lead scientists to examine the chemistry of life by exploring what cells are made of.

c. Early humans were not aware of the existence of cells.

d. Most cells cannot be seen by the human eye

e. Plants and animals were discovered before unicellular organisms

f. Cells were not discovered until the invention of the microscope.

g. Hooke coined the term, “Cells”

3. History

a. The Allies were Great Britain, France, the Soviet Union, and the United States  

b. The Axis were Germany, Italy, and Japan who fought against the allies

c. I learned the Nazi militia; known for violence and brutality are called “Strom troopers” They are on the dark side!

d. The term for the mass murder of the Jews is called the Holocaust.

e. Although FDR hoped that the United States could stay out of the war, he sent a lot of money and war supplies to Britain and the allies.

f. I learned that the word rationing means to restrict consumption of something that is short in supply

g. I learned that the war started when Hitler invaded Poland.

4. Language

Sophie completed and will read her Latin book about Echo and Narcissus to Lily's kindergarten class at Follow the Child Montessori. To be posted soon

5. Reading

a. I learned about analogies today, Lava is to volcano as stalactite is to cave

b. World wide web is to www as Self- contained underwater breathing apparatus is to SCUBA

c. Stomach is to digestion as lung is to respiration

d. Quadruped is to cat as biped is to human

e. Paris is to France as Rome is to Italy

f. Author is to essay as composer is to concerto

g. Milliliter is to liter as meter is to millimeter 

6. Writing

a. Descriptive writing plays a role in many forms of writing; you see it in stories, textbooks and newspaper articles.

b. My heart is like a lion, my heart is like a trampoline, My heart is like a salad, My heart is like a rollercoaster, My heart is like a mask.

c. In Shakespeare’s play Julius Caesar Portia, Brutus’s wife senses that he’s keeping a secret from her so I wrote about a time that I kept a secret from somebody.

d. It was almost Emma’s 70th birthday, and all of her friends and family were planning a surprise party for her. It was weird and kind of overwhelming when she asked me what we were planning on doing for her birthday party, and I almost told her! But then I said, oh I don’t know I haven’t heard anything. I think she sensed that I was keeping a secret from her but she didn’t ask anything more. However, the party turned out great even though I almost told her about, she still was surprised and she enjoyed it very much.

7. Music


a. We went to go see Les Miserables today.

b. I learned about the term, acting choices, mom mentioned that Russell Crow’s way of playing Javiet is a lot different than the stage version but he made it work and it was his acting choice.

c. The singers took the original songs and acted it more than actually singing the original song, like Anne Hathaway’s “I dreamed a dream” stays to the original melody but is so different and less pretty than any other version, however, Fantine doesn’t feel pretty she feels devastated so it works really well. 

d. The actors were so amazing that it made me cry like the whole way through!

e. Hugh Jackman, who played Jean Valjean, was so into the character that he actually cried more than once in a scene!

f. The music was done live which is the first movie musical ever done that way, so the singing wasn’t perfect but that’s what made it more like a musical which I enjoyed.

g. My favorite songs were “On my Own”, “One Day More”, and “Bring him Home

No comments:

Post a Comment