Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 25, 2010 Day Thirty-Four




5 x 5 for 5th Grade
Sophie's Blog: Share your good news about the play! What math did you do with Dad this weekend? What happened twice to you this week (in your mouth)? What did we work on in the afternoon? Whose birthday was it on Friday?
The play is still on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very excited and super happy. I measured the stage in the basement( with dads help ) It will be awesome! I lost 2 teeth this week. My Canine and the one before my canine! : ) We worked on my scrapbook this afternoon. It's almost done except for Henry Hudson, John Cabot, and 2 or 3 more other things!!! The triplets birthday was on Friday!!! Happy Birthday to them, they turned 8!!!!!!!!!!!



5 Vocabulary
1. Circumference: The measurement around a sphere
2. Altitude: The height of anything above a given planetary reference, like a plane
3. Dimension: Measurement of length, width, and depth
4. Percussion: Striking one body against another making a sound or beat
5. Magnificent: splendid or impressive in appearance

5 Details/Facts
1. Jupiter's diameter is 88,844 miles long, almost 10 times bigger than the Earth!
2. Saturn's average temperature is -218 degrees F
3. Saturn is mostly made of gas-hydrogen
4. In art you need to fool your critical mind
5. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow

5 Sentences
1. The equator is the circumference of the Earth.
2. The average altitude of a plane is 30 to 40,000 feet.
3. The average dimension of a sugar cube is about a centimeter and a half.
4. A lot of people wanted to play percussion instruments.
5. I had a magnificent time doing school today.

5 Questions & Answers
1. Who was called his "most-beloved" by English King Henry VII? A: John Cabot
2. You want to ship a book to Hannah, Olivia, and Danielle. How do you calculate the available space you have in a box using its dimensions? A: Length x width times depth
3. What is the answer to this math problem using the 1 x 2 x 4 x 8 method: 124,892 ÷ 48? 2,601 remainder 44
4. What are the two possibilities of John Cabot's "lost" second voyage? A: That he died, or he stayed there for the rest of his life.
5. What three things do Columbus and Cabot have in common? A: They were born in Genoa, They were jealous of each other, and they were sailing at the exact same time.

Activities
Play—Act 1, sc 5
Scene 5
Location: The main deck/bow
Cast: Captain Berin, Ben, Samuel, Sailor James
Sound Effects: Thunder storm, waves crashing, Lightning
Dialogue
Ben's voice over: () Look, how much rigging there is, It's like a spiders web! And that there hull must be 65,000 feet long, or more. Oh, wouldn't it be cool to be on a ship like the Calderwood! I remember when Dad said he was a cabin boy on a vessel called The Voyager 3. I remember when Kyle and James used to tease me about being an artist. They said that art was just for girls. I miss James and Kyle though. I miss Mary and little Emily. I miss Chris, and even Tim. I miss ma and Da. But I have my own family right here. The Captain, Samuel, Sailor James, and Ariel. And this ship is my own. My home away from home.
Samuel: Ben , Ben Wake up, There's a storm, we need your help come outside, and wake Sailor James.
Ben: Oh no, a storm, I'm so scared of storms, But I should help and not be a nuisance, because that would make things worse. Sailor James wake up there's a storm.
Sailor James: Okay Ben, let's go!
Captain: ( while the sound effects are on ) Secure the lines! Get out of the Crows nest! People up fore, Bring up the sails! ( lightning ) Ben steer the ship, starboard!!!! Ben, now!
Ben: Okay sir!
Samuel: Ben, don't be scared just steer!
Ben: Your right Samuel, if I'm scared, I won't be able to help the ship!! ( Ben steers the boat )
Ariel: Ruff, ruff( The barks getting softer and softer ) ruff, ruff, ruff!
Ben: Ariel, Ariel, where are you? Ariel!!!! Did you go over board? ( Ben goes back and hides in the corner of his cabin, starts crying) Ariel.
Narrator: The Storm is still going. Ben is sad because he thinks Ariel is gone. Will the ship sink, or will they land to safety in a month and a half? Let's find out in Act 2!
End of Act 1!


Explorers You Should Know "wrap up"
John Cabot chapters & fact-gathering
Around the World in a Hundred Years: From Henry the Navigator to Magellan,
Jean Fritz
Explorers Who Got Lost,
Diane Sansevere Dreher

Math lesson: dimension, area squared & cubed, 1 x 2 x 4 x 8 Division Method PracticeProject—"Age of Discovery" Scrapbook Assembly

1 comment:

  1. Sophie, that's such great news about the play! I'm really excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete