Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8, 2010 Day Twenty-Four


5 x 5 for 5th Grade
5 Vocabulary
1. Reenactment: A group of people redoing a famous moment in history, just like it was.
2. Orbit: The curved path the planets go, circling around the Sun.
3. Zodiac: Constellations that tell what sign you are depending on your date of birth.
4. Hurricane: A violent, tropical, cyclonic storm.
5. Subtle: thin, hard to see, or barely noticeable.

5. Details/Facts
1. Columbus captained the Santa Maria.
2. Columbus called the Bahamas, San Salvadour.
3. The Native Americans called the Bahamas, Guanahani.
4. On Columbus' second voyage, he had 1,500 men aboard 17 ships.
5. Columbus sailed from 1492- 1504.

5 Sentences
1. Saturday we are going to a reenactment.
2. The moon orbits around the Earth.
3. My zodiac is a Virgo, mom's zodiac is a Leo, and Lily's is a Cancer.
4. When I went to the baseball game with Bo, there was supposed to be a hurricane.
5. When I was shading my squares yesterday, the first box was very subtle.

5 Questions & Answers
1. Explain the purpose of Columbus' second voyage? Why so long? Why so many ships? A: The second voyage of Columbus was longer, ( 3 years ) because they stopped in so many places, and this time, they stopped for good in Hispainola.
2. What two countries did the 1492 Line of Demarcation divide the land to colonize? A: Spain and Portugal.
Bonus: What direction from the North/South line did Portugal get? A: The East.
3. What country did Columbus think Florida was? A: Japan
4. Why did the Native people kill all of Columbus' men left on Hispainola in the colony after Santa Maria sank? A: Because they were treating them like slaves.
5. What did Columbus promise Queen Isabella he'd bring back from his voyage? A: Gold.

Activities
Movie/ Documentary—watched Pocahontas again today while coloring in map & map parts for Columbus

Columbus Web QuestWeb Quest: Christopher Columbus
  1. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/page/c/columbus.shtml
    A: Read "The First Trip"
            B: Read "The Second, Third & Fourth Trip"
C: Write a timeline with dates and destinations of Columbus' voyages here:
1. Aug. 3, 1492 Columbus leave Spain, arrives Bahamas Oct. 12, 1492
2. Sept. 25, 1493-June 11, 1496 Columus sailed 17 ships to Hispainola
3. May 20, 1498-Oct. 1500 Columbus sailed to Florida (Japan) and was first white men to set food on land in North America since Lief Ericsson
4. May 9, 1502-Nov.7 1504 Columbus sailed to Mexico and Jamaica and is buried in Dominican Republic.
D: Scroll down through the activities
E: Click on "Caribbean: Outline Map Printout"
F: "Save As" the map & print
G: Search Google "Images" for Christopher Columbus
H: Find & Choose 4 images of Columbus
I: "Save As" & Print Images

2, http://wn.com/The_Nina__The_Most_Historically_Accurate_Replica_of_a_Columbus_Ship_Ever_Built
            A: Watch the video
B: Then Search "Images" the The Nina in Google
C: Choose and "Save As" favorite image
D: Repeat B & C for The Pinta and The Santa Maria
A: Read the first paragraph of Columbus' letter to Luis de Sant Angel
B: Copy & Pasts the paragraph and Paste it here:

As I know you will be rejoiced at the glorious success that our Lord has given me in my voyage, I write this to tell you how in thirty-three days I sailed to the Indies with the fleet that the illustrious King and Queen, our Sovereigns, gave me, where I discovered a great many islands, inhabited by numberless people; and of all I have taken possession for their Highnesses by proclamation and display of the Royal Standard without opposition. To the first island I discovered I gave the name of San Salvador, in commemoration of His Divine Majesty, who has wonderfully granted all this. The Indians call it Guanaham. The second I named the Island of Santa Maria de Concepcion; the third, Fernandina; the fourth, Isabella; the fifth, Juana; and thus to each one I gave a new name. When I came to Juana, I followed the coast of that isle toward the west, and found it so extensive that I thought it might be the mainland, the province of Cathay; and as I found no towns nor villages on the sea-coast, except a few small settlements, where it was impossible to speak to the people, because they fled at once, I continued the said route, thinking I could not fail to see some great cities or towns; and finding at the end of many leagues that nothing new appeared, and that the coast led northward, contrary to my wish, because the winter had already set in, I decided to make for the south, and as the wind also was against my proceeding, I determined not to wait there longer, and turned back to a certain harbor whence I sent two men to find out whether there was any king or large city. They explored for three days, and found countless small communities and people, without number, but with no kind of government, so they returned
A: Read & summarize in 3 sentences.
    1. In the first paragraph it tells that lots of explorers used the dead reckoning method, to navigate through the waters.
    2. In the second paragraph, it tells how Explorers used this method and what dead reckoning means.
    3. In the third paragraph, It shows how dead reckoning got explorers to the New world and why. If you want to read more, go to www.columbusnavigation.com.


Columbus Map

No comments:

Post a Comment