Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

October 4, 2010, Day Twenty-one


5 x 5 for 5th Grade
5 Vocabulary
1. Autumn: A season after Summer before Winter, also known as Fall.
2. Maize: The Native American word for Corn.
3. Succotash: A Thanksgiving dinner made with mixed corn, lima beans, and green and red peppers.
4. Cyclical: Reoccurring or revolving in cycles.
5. Approximate: A really good guess using knowledge.

5 Details/Facts
1. It took Columbus 12 years to get funding for his voyage.

2. I auditioned for Miracle on 34th Street.
3. I consistently landed my double salchow, so I am definitely testing.
4. King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella were monarchs of Spain.
5. Columbus landed on an island in the Bahamas but he thought he landed on an island near Japan.

5 Sentences
1. I like autumn because there are beautiful colors and I get to jump in leaf piles.
2. In Pumpkinland there is a Corn Maze, which is funny because the Indian word for corn is maize.
3. I have never had succotash.
4. I'm very happy because my birthday isn't February 29th, so it is cyclical.
5. I took me approximately one minute to walk the area of a caravel.

5 Questions & Answers
1. Why are seasons cyclical? A: Because they come back every year.
2. What is an adjective? A: A word that describes a noun.
What is an adverb? A: A word that describes a verb.
3. Why is "Corn Maze" funny? A: Because in Native American language it means "Corn Corn."
4. How do you approximate? A: You take a guess from your knowledge.
5. Why was succotash important to the first Europeans? A: Because they've never seen anything like it, And it kept them from starving and dying.

Activities
Explorer Mad Lib
October 4, 2010
A lot of _______ sailed to "The ____________World." In "The __________World," the explorers
    (noun p.)        (adjective)            (adjective)
met Indians that they ________with. The Indians were very ___________to the __________.
            (verbed)                (adjective)    (noun pl.)
The explorers traded _________ and ___________, as well as _________ __________.
            (noun pl.)    (noun pl.)        (adjective)    (noun)
But the explorers brought a disease to "The ________World" and it killed a lot of the Indians in all
                    (adjective)
different __________. So the remaining Indians decided to get into a ________ with the explorers.
    (noun pl.)                            (noun)
Lots more of the Indians got killed because the explorers had _______ and __________. So they fought
                                (noun pl)    (noun pl.)
___________, but the explorers won. This is how the __________men found "The ________ World."
(adverb)                        (color)                (adjective)
And this why __________men still live here today.
        (color)    

Project—assembling the scrapbook

Sophie's Blog: How many pages do you have already in your Age of Discovery scrapbook? Do you have a favorite page? Are you excited to start singing lessons tomorrow? What do you hope to learn/ improve with your singing? I think you'll end up with your own book of Mad Libs by the end of this school-year! Why do you like Mad Libs so much? What other subjects do you want to write about for Mad Libs?
I have eleven pages in my Age of Discovery scrapbook. My favorite page is the sea chest page because I think the sea chest looks beautiful. I'm kind of nervous about my singing lessons tomorrow, but I think it will be fun. I hope to improve my tone of voice when I'm singing, not just sing/talk. I like the idea of random words in a history story. It usually ends up sounding like "Erik The purple got into a pillow fight with the Native Sea Monsters!" I think the Thanksgiving dinner would be a good idea, or Christopher Columbus, or the real story of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment