Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November 23, 2010 Day Fifty-Three

Almost there...almost done…two more days! Wow, what a lot of work Sophie's done. Now that we're getting even closer and finishing the unit up and we're reviewing all she's learned and finalizing all her projects, she really has accomplished a lot in these first fifty-plus days of homeschooling. Sophie, I am so proud of you sweetheart.

Activities

Music—lesson with Kat

Art—lesson with Gamma, finished Ben's Portrait for play and scrapbook and man is it good!

Play Rehearsal—two run-throughs in preparation for performance on Thursday

Portfolio Presentation—written and filmed

Scrapbook Presentation Directions

Goal: To present all the work you've accomplished to an audience.

Objective: To tell the "story" of your scrapbook.

Remember, your audience will have an opportunity to look through and read your Age of Discovery Scrapbook and all its "facts" and labels. Your presentation is your opportunity to tell them more about the story of the Age of Discovery that you learned.

Keep it casual, like you were sitting down with each of them and looking through the scrapbook together. What would you explain? Which parts do you like best? What else can you teach them about the subject? What parts are you proud of? What did like most about what you learned?

Prepare a written paragraph (or more) for each page of your scrapbook as a script to help you when we film your presentation. Think about writing your paragraphs like you were writing your blog or an email or a letter to someone.

Introduction. Hi, my name is Sophie Calderwood. This is my 5th grade Portfolio Presentation about the Age of Discovery. I made a scrapbook on everything I learned about explorers, navigation, ships, Native Americans, maps, and how America was discovered.

The Sea Chest. On this first page I have my sea chest that Gamma helped me with in art class. It is important to a sailor because they carry their stuff in it. I made it based on a book report I did on a book called The Sea Chest. Inside it I have navigating tools like this parallel ruler, and this compass tool. I also have a regular compass and an astrolabe. I will be using the sea chest and all of its navigating tools as props in my play, "The Voyage of 1586." In my assignment with Bo I had to think of things that I would put in a sea chest if I were going on a journey. You can read about the ten most important things I would put in my sea chest.

Title Page. This is my title page, The Age of Discovery. I worked very hard on this map and it is very detailed.

Viking Page. When we turn the page we have my two Viking pages. I made my first Viking map at the Mystic Seaport with Grandpa Mike. Emma and I drove by this landmark in Providence, Rhode Island where the Vikings landed in the year 1000. On this map I can move Lief Erikson and Erik the Red's ships along their path to Newfoundland.

The Play. These are the pictures of the play I made up called "The Voyage of 1586." This play includes a whole bunch of key words that I learned and used in my dialogue. The characters in the play are my character Ben, Gamma's character Samuel, Bill's character Captain Berrin, Mom's character Adotte, and Lily's character Ariel the Dog. In my last couple of art lessons with Gamma we've been working on this portrait of my character Ben. As you can see I've improved a lot in my art. I thank Gamma and Bill for letting me have the time to go to the farm and work on my play.

Ships and Navigation. These two pages are about ships and navigation. The ship I used in my play is a carrack. The ship's name is The Calderwood. The other ship on my first page is a caravel and it's a much smaller ship and it has lateen sails. I painted this picture of The Calderwood and I chose it to be a carrack because it was used more often for explorers around the time of the voyage of 1586. As you can see, I labeled all the parts of the ship.

Field Trips. We went to the Mystic Seaport, the Pequot Village, and the Osher Map Gallery for our big field trips. We collected brochures to put on this page. Probably my favorite field trip out of these three was the Pequot Village because I liked all the statues in the village. It looked very realistic.

Native Americans. Now we move on to Native Americans and on this page it tells about the land bridge and how Native Americans got here. The Land Bridge was a big piece of land that crossed over from Asia to North America and people migrated over it thousands of years ago and they became the Native Americans. It also tells about the tribes in New England and Maine.

Native Americans have different houses for different areas if North America. The grass house, long house, cliff dwellings, tee pees, and wigwams. The character Adotte in my play lives in a wigwam.

Wampum. Wampum was very important to the Native Americans because they valued it. This is my handmade Wampum belt. Wampum belts were used to tell a story. My wampum belt says "We are peaceful." Mom and I also made this necklace that Adotte is going to use in the play.

This is the picture of Adotte or Mom in her costume. I found the costume at Salvation Army and Mom said I have a very good eye for costumes!

Columbus. Finally we move on to Explorers! The first explorer in this scrapbook is Columbus. Christopher, that is. I am moving the ships along the paths Columbus took. He took four journeys. The three most important things that Mom wanted me to know about Columbus is that he is a dreamer and he never gave up. This other most important thing is that he believed he had a destiny and he died believing he found the Indies. The third thing I learned about Columbus is that he was the first to have a relationship with the Native Americans and he didn't treat them very well. His three ships were the Pinta, The Santa Maria, and the Nina.

Web Quest. I did an explorers web quest and I learned about explorers that I didn't really know about like Marco Polo and Ferdinand Magellan. A web quest is an on-line quest where I go to sites and learn about whatever it is I am studying and I follow the directions. My explorer's web quest I think was very fun, especially learning about Ferdinand Magellan because he had an Animaniacs video tell the story about him.

In my web quest I also learned about Prince Henry the Navigator. It's ironic that Mom had this page that said "There lived a handsome prince," and I used it for Prince Henry! Henry was the first to open a navigating school in Europe.

Bartholemu Diaz was the first to go around the Cape of Good Hope, which is the tip of Africa and he's famous for that. Vasco de Gama was about ten years later than Dias and he took the same route but actually made it to India. All of these explorers were looking for one thing: spices and a faster route to the Indies. Most of the explorers did not find what they were looking for but found new land!

Conquistadors. The Spanish explorers were called Conquistadors. Some of the famous ones were Coronado, who was the first European to discover the Grand Canyon. Ponce de Leon who discovered Florida while we was looking for the Fountain of Youth. And Hernando de Soto who crossed the Mississippi River.

One of my favorite explorers I learned about was Sir Francis Drake. He was the second to circumnavigate the world and was one of the first English explorers. By the Spanish he was called "el Draco" and a pirate but by Queen Elizabeth he was called a privateer. The Spanish called him a pirate because he took the gold from them and the Queen called him a privateer because he gave the gold to her!

Hudson and Cabot. Next, these are the explorers I spent a lot of time learning about: Henry Hudson and John Cabot. They both came from England. I read a novel about John Cabot. I didn't really like it about half way through, so I gave it up but, I still really liked learning about him. Mom's favorite explorer, Henry Hudson, explored around Northern Canada and he was looking for the Northwest Passage. This is probably one of my favorite pages because of the ice!

Constellations & Polaris. Constellations were very important to navigators exploring on the sea. They were helpful because they were the calendar for sailors. It's like a calendar because as the Earth rotates around the sun the constellations in the sky change with the seasons and sailors identified the pictures or constellations in the sky and that's how they knew what month it was.

Polaris or The North Star was very helpful for navigation because that's always where North is. This picture illustrates how sailors used the North Star to navigate by measuring the ship's position or angle in relation to the horizon and Polaris. The North Star was particularly important before compasses because explorers like the Vikings used it to show them where North was.

Mexico and South America. The next explorers I learned about were Amerigo Vespucci, Hernando Cortez, and Vasco Nunez de Balboa. Cortes conquered Montezuma and the Aztecs in Mexico. America was named after Amerigo Vespucci because he was the first explorer to realize that it was a New World and not the Indies, so a mapmaker named the new continent for him. South America was mostly conquered by the Spanish. Balboa was the first European to see the Pacific Ocean while standing on Panama. He soon realized that that it he couldn't get his ships through the small bit of land that we call Panama.

Cartier & de Champlain. Jacques Cartier was a French explorer who explored around Canada searching for the Northwest Passage. He was one of the first explorers in Canada and he discovered the St. Lawrence River. He met the Iroquois Indians. Samuel de Champlain sailed after Cartier for France and he also explored Canada. He colonized Quebec City and started the fur trade.

Iroquois. The Iroquois were a Confederacy of six Native American tribes in upper New York/ Vermont / Canada area. In my web quest I had to choose three topics to learn about. I chose Music & Dance, Clothing, and Sports & Games. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote a famous poem about Hiawatha, who was an Iroquois Indian. Before I watched the video and did my web quest, I read the poem with Bill.

On this page I talked about the Huron Carol, as well as the pow-wow dance. The Hurons were the Wydonot tribe in the Iroquois Confederacy. The Huron Carol is a Canadian Christmas hymn sung in the Huron language. I listened to it and I thought it was very pretty.

Picture Sentences. These were props in my play that Ben used to communicate with Adotte. They're called picture sentences. Picture sentences tell a story using drawings. This first sentence says "we come in peace and mean no harm." This one says "we welcome you to this land." And this one means "would you indigenous people have some food and shelter for us?"

Folder.And finally in the folder is my script for the play. I have also included the list of Key Words I learned and used in my script. You will also find copies of the Reviews I completed for this unit, as well as some really fun Mad Libs I wrote. Please feel free to try taking the Reviews yourself and doing the Mad Libs!

Conclusion. Thank you for watching my Portfolio Presentation and I hoped you learned as much as I did! It has been fun learning about the Age of Discovery and I thank Mom, Gamma, Bo, and Dad for helping me with this unit. I invite you to look through my scrapbook and read the facts. I will be available to answer any questions you have! I hope you enjoyed watching!


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment