Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November 9, 2010 Day Forty-four


5 x 5 for 5th Grade
Sophie's Blog: Summarize the story of The Phantom Tollbooth. 5 sentences
Once there was a boy named Milo, who was always bored. Until he went through a magic tollbooth, that changed his life forever. Nothing once he went through the tollbooth was quite the same. Stranger and stranger things kept happening. He met a little man called the whether man, went to a market place selling words, and has a best friend dog named tock who has a clock in his stomach. That is as far as I've gotten.


5 Vocabulary
1. Theology: The study of god or religion
2. Persecution: To subject, or do cruel treatment because of religion L
3. Reformation: The 16th century movement that resulted in the establishment in protestant churches
4. Protestant: Any western Christian not an adherent with a catholic church
5. Plantation: A very large estate were a lot of people live, who had a common goal
5 Details/Facts
1. Definition of medallion: something, as an ornament, resembling a medal.
2. On the ship the Calderwood, the crew gets about 7 and a half boxes or 5 and a half feet by 2 and a half feet.
3. Dad played Charlie in a play when he was little, in Charlie and the chocolate factory.
4. On Monday it will be day 50!
5. Thanksgiving was actually in December.
5 Sentences
1. People can go to college to study theology.
2. In Europe, in the 16th century, catholic people persecuted people who believed in different.
3. Reformation occurred in the 16th century and changed the Christian religion forever.
4. Most of the protestant people were catholic at one time.
5. Me, mom, and Lily are going to Plymouth plantation next Wednesday and Thursday.
5 Questions & Answers
1. What are "marks" in reference to a play and why are they important? A: They're lines on the floor to where in actor should go
2. What is the major difference between Protestants and Catholics and how they talk to God? A: Catholic people believe only the pope can talk to God, and Protestant people believe that they can all talk to God.
3. Why did the Pilgrims leave Europe? Hint: use one of your vocabulary words. A: Persecution
4. What is the name of the ship that the Pilgrims came to Plymouth on? A: Mayflower! (Easy one)
5. What is the name of the Indian guide who helped the Pilgrims during their first hard winter? A: Squanto, or Tisquantam
Activities
Music—almost an hour lesson with Kat today working on "Annie" songs and even recording a few to help Sophie practice!
Art—began work on Ben's "after" portrait. Very good already!
Current Events: "Spacecraft has closest encounter ever with comet." For this article I had her read it and then draw an illustration that summarized what she learned.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/11/04/comet.close.encounter/index.html?hpt=C1
Script Read-through—Sophie's assignment for this play was to write, direct, and perform a two-Act play that realistically demonstrated all that she has learned about the Age of Discovery and Exploration. She had a list of Key Words that she was to use in her play and other than those guidelines, she was on her own. This is her final, edited script and we had our first read-through today with Gamma and Bill, who are members of our cast. Please keep in mind, that although not always historically accurate—not the information but the access to information—the play absolutely fulfills the intended assignment. I am again very proud and impressed with what my daughter is able to accomplish~ and so we present her final script. Later this month we will perform and film the play as part of her Portfolio Presentation and will post it here for all to enjoy.
The Voyage of 1586
Cast
Ben Smith, Age 12 from Bristol England, Cabin boy on ship The Calderwood.
Samuel Baker, Age 45, from Scotland, Sailor on ship, "The Calderwood.
Captain Thomas Berrin: Age 34, from London, England.
Ariel the dog, Bens dog/ figure head/sailor James.
Adoette: Native American, tribe Abanaki, age 26.
Scenery
Ship with 2 masts, 2 sails, a bow, sleeping quarters, a head, and main deck.
Land, tree with leaves, grass, flowers, and wigwam.
Props


Act 1
Scene 1
Cast: Ben, Samuel, Captain, and sailor James.
Location: Main deck
Name of scene: The sea shanty
Dialogue:
Cast sings shanty while working on deck of The Calderwood
The Calderwood's flying among the great seas, To me way hey Blow the man down.
The folks that were leavin' are sayin' goodbyes, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
The sorrow I feel will be washed by the sea, To me way hey Blow the man down.
But an adventure is growing inside of me, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
The sailors and I workin hard as we can, To me way hey Blow the man down.
The waves are a crashin' so gimme a plan, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
Oh Calderwood sailors the new world we attend, To me way hey Blow the man down.
Land ho me good boys our journeys to it's end, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
Curtain down


Scene 2
Cast: Ben and Captain.
Location: In the Captain's quarters
Name of scene: Getting to know the characters
Dialogue
Captain: Now Ben, ya ready to take the big voyage of 1586?
Ben: Yes, sir I think I am.
Captain: You think you are huh, well tell me all the parts of this vessel.
Ben: Right now we're in the Captain's quarters and above is the main deck and the bow/ bowsprit and the head is the bathroom.
Captain: Impressive, impressive, yes! But are the sails lateen sails? And what's the word for moppin'?
Ben: No, the sails are not lateen and the word for mopping is swab. Oh! and left is larboard and right is starboard.
Captain: Very impressive, I will be teaching you navigating skills next week, ok?
Ben: Yes, thank you. But I have a question. What do you eat for lunch, or supper or something?
Captain: Well Ben, usually we have gruel in the morning,' hard tack for lunch, and salted cod or haddock occasionally for supper.
Ben: Could I try some please?!
Captain: Of course, but I don't want to waste any right now. We're having cod tonight, see you then!
Ben: Goodbye Sir!
Captain: Oh wait! One more thing. (calls Samuel in )
Samuel: Yes sir, what's the matter?
Captain: Samuel, this is Ben, our new cabin boy. Ben, this is Samuel. I'll bet you two will be spending lots of time together.
Ben: Hi, nice to meet, you. What is that you're holding mister? May I have a look?
Samuel: Of course, here you go lad.
Ben: Is this a sketch?
Samuel: Why yes it is, do you like it? It's a sketch of the sailors who were singing the sea shanty.*
Ben: Yes I love it! Could you teach me how to do this? I'm an artist as well. Here are some of my paintings. (Shows sea chest, self portrait, and painting of the Calderwood. Waits anxiously for Samuels opinion. )
Samuel: These are nice, very good for a young boy. I will help you though. You will someday be as good as me.
Captain: Come on my fellow sailors, our journey awaits us!
End of Scene 2


Scene 3
Cast: Ben, Captain, Samuel, Sailor James, and Ariel the dog.
Location: The dining room
Name of scene: Other Explorers
Dialogue
Curtain up
Captain: Now, Ben how do you like that salted cod?
Ben: Well actually sir, this happens to be one of my favorite foods. I'm enjoying it a lot.
Sailor James: Hello, I'm sailor James!
Ben: Nice to meet you James. I'm Ben your new cabin boy.
Captain: Ben, you and James will be sharing the same room. You'll have one hammock for each of ya, and ya own head!
Samuel: Ha ha ha ha ha! That's a good one, sir!
Captain: James, why don't ya go and set the room up for your new bunkmate.
(Sailor James exits)
Captain: Now, who wants to start a little conversation? Ben………how about you?
Ben: Well, could we talk about Christopher Columbus and John Cabot and Samuel De Champlain and other explorers! That will make a good conversation.
Captain: Bloody good idea son!
Samuel: Yes, sir yer right, but in me hometown in Scotland, we say "Great idea lad," and it sure is!!
Captain: I'll start. Now where we are headed, John Cabot explored back in 1498. The east coast of Virginia. John Cabot took two journeys to the New World. He died on his second visit to Virginia. But his son Sebastian Cabot made journeys to Virginia for him and kept the Cabot name in history. And we hope it will still be in history 1,000 years into the future.
Samuel: Yes, but Christopher Columbus was sailing from Spain at the exact same time, except in the lower half of Virginia. He was the first man to set foot on Virginia, but he believed he was stepping on The Indies. Rumors say he died believing he found the Indies, but we know that he didn't.
Ben: Wow! Thank you so much for this lesson about explorers, you can teach me more about explorers tomorrow. Good-nigh……….
Samuel: Wait, you need to know about the Vikings, young lad.
Ben: ( with a look of confusion ) The Vikings?!
Captain: Oh yes, back in the year 1,000 Erik the Red and his crew sailed to the New Found Land. They went up to Iceland and then to Greenland, then to The New Found Land. Erik the Red's son was right behind him, his name was Leif Erikson. So when Samuel here said that Columbus was the first man to set foot on Virginia, he was incorrect.
Samuel: Ok lad, you can go to your room now, I think sailor James has already fallen to sleep.
Ben: Come on Ariel, let's go to our room.
Ariel: Ruff ,Ruff , Aooooooh!!!
End of Scene 3


Scene 4
Cast: Captain and Ben
Location: Captain's quarters
Props: The navigating tools
Name of scene: Navigating lesson
Dialogue
Captain: Ben, Ben, where are you Ben?
Ben: ( Ben's rushing in) I'm here sir, I just had my art lesson with Samuel.
Captain: Ah, good, now would you like to learn about navigating?
Ben: Yes sir, I sure would. My father taught me a little bit about in back in Bristol.
Captain: Ya don't say…well than what's this here instrument?
Ben: (pauses with a look of confusion ) Do you use in cookin?
Captain: Ha ha ha ha! No, it's a compass. It's used for telling you where north is. This is one of the most important navigating tools. It helps you find your way when you get lost. ( hands it to Ben )
Ben: Well why are the letters N, E, W, S on here?
Captain: News? It doesn't say that….oh, You mean North, South, East and West.
Ben: Hey, what's that instrument there? Do you use it for making clothes?
Captain: No, son ha ha ha ha ! This is a sextant, it's used for measuring the angle between two visible objects, as well as determining a celestial object and the horizon.
Ben: Oh cool!! What's this thing here? It kind of looks like the compass.
Captain: Yes you are right son, but that is an astrolabe. It's used for finding the latitude and longitude of the Earth. This is one of my favorite tools. Now I have one more thing to teach you about navigating, and that is dead reckoning. Dead reckoning doesn't have a tool to help out other than a brain and good eyesight. The first thing you need to know is how many knots you are traveling.
Ben: ( holding up a rope with a knot in it ) But sir how do you measure knots?
Captain: Oh Ben, that's not the knot I'm talking about. This knot is referring to speed. Or how many nautical miles per hour we're going. Now, Ben the other thing you need to know about dead reckoning is the wind. Dead reckoning involves the wind a lot and speaking of wind, I smell a storm coming on from Euthos. Better get into your cabin, I'm going aft.
Ben: Thank you so much for my lesson sir!
Captain: I have a lot on my hands for the next couple of weeks. How about our astronomy lesson in a month?
Ben: Of course sir, goodbye!!
End of scene 4


Scene 5
Location: The main deck/bow
Cast: Captain Berin, Ben, Samuel, Sailor James
Sound Effects: Thunder storm, waves crashing, Lightning
Name of scene: The Storm
Dialogue
Ben's voice over: Look how much rigging there is. It's like a spider's web! And that there hull must be 65,000 feet long or more. Oh, wouldn't it be grand to be on a ship like The Calderwood! I remember when Da said he was a cabin boy on a vessel called The Voyager. I remember when Kyle and James used to tease me about being an artist. They said that art was just for girls. I miss James and Kyle though. I miss Mary and little Emily. I miss Chris, and even Tim. I miss Mam and Da. But I have my own family right here. The Captain, Samuel, Sailor James, and Ariel. And this ship is my own. My home away from home.
Samuel: Ben , Ben Wake up! There's a storm! We need your help. Come outside and wake sailor James.
Ben: Oh no, a storm! I'm so scared of storm. But I should help and not be a nuisance because that would make things worse. Sailor James wake up there's a storm!
Sailor James: Okay Ben, let's go!
Captain: ( while the sound effects are on ) Secure the lines! Get out of the crow's nest! People up fore, bring up the sails! ( lightning ) Ben steer the ship, starboard!!!! Ben, now!
Ben: Okay sir!
Samuel: Ben, don't be scared, just steer!
Ben: You're right Samuel, if I'm scared, I won't be able to help the ship!! ( Ben steers the boat )
Ariel: Ruff, ruff( The barks getting softer and softer ) ruff, ruff, ruff!
Ben: Ariel, Ariel, where are you? Ariel!!!! Did you go over board? ( Ben goes back and hides in the corner of his cabin, starts crying) Ariel!
Narrator: The Storm is still going. Ben is sad because he thinks Ariel is gone. Will the ship sink, or will they land to safety in a month and a half? Let's find out in Act 2!
End of Act 1!
Intermission
Act 2
Scene 1
Location: main deck
Cast: Ariel, Ben, and Samuel
Name of scene: Feeling better
Dialogue
Samuel: ( bailing out water) Ben, come over here lad. ( Ben goes over ) Now lad, you made it through your first storm. You should feel brave, courageous, and more mature. Tell me.
Ben: Yes Samuel, I do feel more mature and more courageous and not so frightened. I do miss Ariel though. She was my very best friend.
Samuel: Well, I don't know what to tell you lad, but I'm glad you feel alright. Now, how about we cheer you up with a little art lesson eh?
Ben: Yes, I'd like that. Thanks Samuel.
Ariel: Ruff, Ruff, Aoooh! Ruff, ruff!
Samuel: Now, who could that be?!
Ben: Oh Ariel, I've missed you so much!!! I thought you went overboard! Oh I love you Ariel!!!!!
Ariel: Ruff, ruff, ruff, ruff!
(Samuel and Ben start getting their art supplies ready while singing sea shanty)
The Calderwood's flying among the great seas, To me way hey Blow the man down.
The folks that were leavin' are sayin' goodbyes, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
The sorrow I feel will be washed by the sea, To me way hey Blow the man down.
But an adventure is growing inside of me, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
The sailors and I workin hard as we can, To me way hey Blow the man down.
The waves are a crashin' so gimme a plan, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.
Oh Calderwood sailors the new world we attend, To me way hey Blow the man down.
Land ho me good boys our journeys to it's end, Gimme some time, to blow the man down.


End of scene 1


Scene 2 act 2
Location: Captains quarters
Cast: Captain and Ben
Name of scene: Astronomy Lesson
Ben: Hello sir, it's been a month, can I have my astronomy lesson today please!!!???
Captain: Yes, actually right now would be a perfect time for an astronomy lesson. You know, we'll be landing on the east coast of Virginia in a half month, according to my ship log here. (shows Ben log)
I've taught to you about parts of the ship and navigation (pointing out entries in log). Oh! But what I didn't tell you is that longitude measures from the North Pole to South or northern hemisphere to southern hemisphere. Did you know that? Well today we're having our astronomy lesson.
Ben: Wow, that's grand! What are you going to teach me about? What is astronomy?
Captain: It's the study of the planets and stars. The Romans were one of the first astronomers. That's why the planets are named after the Roman gods. Do you know what planets are Ben?
Ben: Planets are big balls of gas that revolve around the sun, according to Galileo. I do believe that the planets revolve around the sun. I also know about constellations, but I didn't know this was the study of astronomy. Why does it come in handy when on a ship?
Captain: If you know astronomy, you know where you are in the world if you study constellations. At night, look up and you see one, if you know which one it is, you know where you are. Also if you can find the North Star, that way is North. Now, tell me some names of the constellations.
Ben: My father taught me this. Little Dipper, Ursa Major, Virgo, and Taurus. Oh and Ares.
Captain: Outstanding my Ben! You know, next journey, how would you like to be my apprentice?
Ben: Oh Captain Berin! That would be an honor.
Captain: You're doing well on your astronomy. There's not much more I can teach you, you actually know more than me!! I'll see you at dinner tonight. This has to be our last lesson for this trip but when you're my apprentice, I'll teach you much more!


End of scene 2


Scene 3
Location: Samuel's cabin
Props: Ships log
Name of scene: Art lesson
Dialogue
Ben: Hi sir, can we have our next art lesson?
Samuel: Sure lad. (still writing in the ships log )
Ben: Are you writing about the whales we saw yesterday?
Samuel: Yes lad, but usually it's the same old thing. Either the knot record, or the weather, or bird drawings. Life on a ship is full of monotony . The same thing every day. You wake up, you change your clothes, you have gruel, make sure the sails are tightened, have hard tack, look out at the sea. If you're lucky you'll find a sea creature. Then have cod and go to bed. Don't you feel that way Ben?
Ben: Yes sir, I do. Life on a ship is boring.
Samuel: Well, one of the hardest lessons about being a sailor is that every day is the same thing.
Ben: I can see you're right sir. You know, I never thought I'd miss being alone. When I was back home in Bristol, I'd always want to be by Mary or James or Kyle. Samuel, why doesn't the crew get lots of space?
Samuel: Well, lad, I know it seems like such little space, but on this ship compared to Columbus's ship the Nina, we get a lot of space. On Columbus's ship the Nina, the crew only got 50 square feet of room per sailor or 3 boxes, as we sailors say. That's not much.
Ben: How much space do we get on this boat Samuel? It seems like so little.
Samuel: Each crew member gets approximately 7 and a half "boxes" . Or about 75 feet. That's a lot. It may seem little. But it's not.
Ben: My dad told me before I got on the Calderwood, when he was a cabin boy for the ship The Voyager, he had approximately 3 boxes. Samuel, what's a box?
Samuel: A box is 5 and a half feet by 2 and a half feet imaginary rectangle or 14 square feet. That's a sailor's space.
Ben: Three boxes? That's not much at all.
Samuel: No, it's not. It's only about 35 square feet.
Ben: You know, coming to think of it now, I'm alone most of the time. I don't miss it at all.
Samuel: Yes, let's get to that art lesson now, okay lad?!
Ben: Sure Samuel, I brought the portrait you helped me work on, I finished it last night.
Samuel: Oh lad, let's me see!
Ben: (hands the picture to Samuel)
Samuel: (shows audience picture) Amazing Ben, just amazing!
Ben: Thank you sir!
Samuel: You know we won't have much more of that monotony. The ship's about to land in the new world.
Ben: Really? I can't wait!
End of scene 3


Scene 4 act 2
Cast: Samuel, Ben , Captain Berin , Adoette , Ariel
Location: Landing in Penobscot bay
Name of scene: The landing
Props: Tree, necklace, wampum belt, paper with picture sentence, telescope
Dialogue
Samuel: (looking through telescope) Land ho! Captain, send sailor James up in the crow's nest!
Captain: Thank you Samuel, bring Ben in here please.
Ben: Hello sir, are we close to land yet?
Captain: Go see for ya self son.
Ben: Oh boy! Land, land!! I wonder if there are any savages on the land?
Captain: Oh Ben boy, that is not the correct word to use. Savages are also known as native people and that's what they really are. Savage is just what Columbus called them. I trust these Native people and they are truly peaceful and will trade with us and help us in the New World. But one of us needs to know Indian language.
Samuel: Indian??
Captain: I mean native language. Samuel, do you know the language?
Samuel: Well sir, I happen to know just a tiny bit of ….(Captain interrupts)
Captain: Well then, it's settled. Choose some things to trade.
( successful landing music playing in the back as they land in Penobscot bay.) ( curtain goes down, not end of scene )
Ben: ( to Samuel ) Wow sir, it sure is beautiful. What are those pretty colors hanging from those trees over there? I'd sure love to use them in my art Samuel. They're floating in the sky, it's so peculiar.
Samuel: Oh Ben, those are just leaves. But you're right, it would be wonderful to paint them.
Captain: Hey, look there is a natives over there. Samuel, go talk with him.
Samuel: Sir, I was saying I knew the native language for the southern Virginia natives, but not these ones.
Captain: Oh.
Ben: I might be able to communicate with them with art….
Captain and Samuel: Ben, what a great idea!
Ben: In my cabin, I was working on a piece of art to communicate with them. It tells them we come in peace and mean no harm. It's based on pictures of them that I thought they looked like. Sailor James helped me with it, since he has been to Virginia before and seen the natives.
Samuel: Ben, this is wonderful. It's talking to them with pictures. It's a picture sentence!
Adoette enters.
Adoette: ( Indian call)
( Ben shows the picture sentence )
Adoette: ( quickly draws another picture sentence. Talks in native American language )
Ben: (Slowly reads the drawing) "We welcome you to this land."
( Ben quickly draws picture sentence )
Samuel: What does it say?
Ben: Would you indigenous people have some food or shelter for us?
Adoette: ( reads the drawing ) Indian language ( draws sentence )
Samuel: ( reads ) Yes, just come inside my wigwam, I have some succotash and maize for you.
Ben: Yum!!!
Captain: Ben, you saved us all!
Everyone: (Cheering) Ben, Ben, Ben!
Ariel: (jumping around) Ruff, Ruff, Ruff
Adoette: ( in sign language ) Do you have anything to trade?
Ben: ( in sign language, but translates to the audience after ) I'll trade my hat for that belt.
Adoette: ( sign language ) Yes.
Ben: This food is delicious.
Captain: Yes, now when we head back to Bristol, we'll all become famous, since we were the first to land in this region. ( putting down the English flag ) Are you ready for that boys?
Ben: Let's sir, I am. But I am really tired. (turns to Adoette and in sign language) Can I rest here?
Captain: Goodnight Ben. (Samuel and Captain exit)
Adoette: (sign language ) Goodnight Ben ( Indian call )
Ben: Indian call
End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment