Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 151


5 x 5 for 5th Grade
Valley Forge
5 Vocabulary
1. Articles of Confederation: An article written by John Dickinson that proposed a strong central government using all the 13 states together in one confederation
2. ratified: to confirm by expressing consent, approval , or formal sanction
3. rations: a fixed allowance of provisions or food
4. frostbite: injury to any part of the body after excessive exposure to extreme cold
5. desertion (military): An act of deserting or the state of being deserted
5 Sentences
1. The Articles of Confederation influences the writers of the Constitution.
2. George the Third ratified to the French and Ben Franklin that he was ready to fight for another 10 years, so Ben answered and said America was ready to fight for 50 years in order to get a free country.
3. One of the reasons George Washington's troops had to stay in Valley Forge is because he was waiting for rations from General Greene.
4. Lots of the men experienced frostbite during this winter, the southerners were not used to it at all because the south is so warm.
5. Lots of hessian soldiers deserted the British during this winter.
5 Facts & Details
1. John Dickinson originally opposed the Revolution and refused to sign the revolution.
2. Dickinson was one of only two delegates who fought.
3. Rebus poems was a kind of game that kids entertained themselves with at the time of 1776.
4. Most people didn't trust Baron Von Stueben at Valley Forge.
5. 25-50 men is called a company in military language.
5 Questions
1. What document did John Dickerson draft in November 1777 before leaving for the war himself? A: The Articles of Confederation
2. Where is Valley Forge? A: Pennsylvania not far from Philadelphia
3. What were some the conditions the men were living with during the winter (List at least 4 examples)? A: They had no food, they had no supplies, no ammunition, and it was cold
4. What are "fire cakes"? A: Hard biscuits cooked on hot rock
5. How many Americans died during the winter at Valley Forge? A: 2,000
5 Math from Fraction Stories Skill 21 Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
1. 2/3 x ¾ = 1/2
2. 2/3 divided by 2/5 = 1 2/3
3. ¾ x 8/9 = 2/3
4. 3/5 x 2 ½ = 1 ½
5. 6 2/3 divided by 1 1/9 = 6
Math: Guinness 1 page, Sylvan 1 page
Sophie's Blog: Write about the Colonial Open competition.
HI everyone its Sophie! We are in Cape Cod on our first day of school. On Friday, though it counted as a school day I went to a skating competition in Boxborough, Massachusetts. We left around nine, and got there around noon. I did some math and reading in the car. We got there, then grandpa got there, and then Linda got there and we were still an hour early. We watched, and shopped and I got my skates on and I was in the next group and… I got nervous. After my last competition failure, I got nervous. I have never gotten nervous for a competition before, however I have never lost one until after Worchester. They called my name, I looked at Linda… THEY FINALLY SAID IT RIGHT! That might be my good luck charm because after I hit my first move… I was doing it. I was having a great time and though I fell on some jumps, I felt good about my skate. I was happy and smiling which was good. We watched my video, looked at my pictures and then. Out came the dreaded "SCORE SHEET." The one piece of paper that ripped my spirit last competition. There were 11 people in my group and I was not confident I would come in last neither in first. I decided to look after all the tears and happiness of all the other girls in my group looked. I wanted to have a comeback since my last competition, and I think I did. Now you are probably getting bored and thinking to yourself, When is she going to tell us what she got! Well here it goes, out of 11 girls, I got 7th ! I did it, I made my comeback, I am now confident again and in the next competition, ready to show those judges what I'm made of! – Sophie Calderwood


"My Ben Opinion"

 
"He that rises late must trot all day"

 
This famous Benjamin Franklin quote has lots of differences, but here is my opinion on the meaning.

 
I think this quote means lots of different meanings, but I think the most popular definition is that you shouldn't sleep in or else you will have to work all day. If you want to fight for independence you need to wake up your mind and do it. If you're tired and want to sleep, sure just be aware about the work you will have to make up for. Those who didn't want to fight for Liberty and freedom and just stay at home and sleep, sooner or later those will have to trot all day and fight. He will have to fight longer than he who rises early. So do not sleep in!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment