Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 104


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned March 5, 2013    Day 104

1.       Math

a. In math today. I learned about adding and subtracting “fancy integers” which are integers like: -1/2 and -0.5

b. The trick to this is to get rid of all the extra marks and make the problem simpler so I can understand what I need to do with the problem, and then add the marks back in later.

c. -1/2 – (-4) – 5/2 = ? first I changed all minus signs into plus signs so I could “add a negative.” I understand that a positive number and a negative number together, mean you have to subtract. The bigger one is positive so we will end up with a positive answer. The answer is 3/12. Then I change 3/12 to an improper fraction by multiplying 3x2 + 1 = 7/2 Then I subtract 7/2 – 5/2 = 2/2 which is a copycat for 1. -1/2 – (-4) – 5/2 = 1

d. -1/2 – (-3) – ½ = 2

e.  43.3 – 56.9 + 2.6 = -11

f. 43.4 – 56.9 = -13.6

g. 5/2 – 7/2 – (0.5) + 0.5 = 0k

 

2. Science

a. I learned in science, that forces always work in pairs. If a soccer goalie blocks a ball with his chest, the goalie is pushing the ball away.

b. This force pair thing makes sense when you think about it. If there wasn’t a force keeping you stationary if you are leaning back in a chair, then you would just fall over, but since you are pushing back against the chair, the chair is pulling you up so you don’t fall backwards.

c. A similar process of pulling and pushing occurs when you stand on the Earth, your body pulls back, although you can’t feel it at all.

d. Mass is different from weight because, mass is the amount of matter in an object, mass is the measurement that describes how much an object resists being moved. The greater the mass of something the more difficult it is to, move into a new position when it’s standing still.

e. Weight describes how much gravity is pulling on you. On the Earth, if you weigh 100 pounds, it means gravity is pulling 100 pounds of you toward the Earth.

f. When an object moves, lots of things resist them, we call this “friction.” Solids, liquids and gases which are the three states of matter, cause friction when something moves against them or trough them.

g. Air, water, other objects, and the Earth itself cause friction to resist a body motion.

3. History

a. Today in history I got back to my World War II projects book and I learned about spy gadgets! I learned some spy vocabulary words too:

Espionage: a fancy word for spying

Surveillance: to observe or watch someone

Saboteur: Someone who tries to cause problems for the enemy

Decoy: A fake that tricks someone into going in the wrong direction.

b. I learned about a double agent named Juan Pujol Garcia who was British spy and a “spy” for the Nazis. Garcia was famous for giving false information to the Germans and sending them in the complete wrong direction on D-day.

c. I learned that A deck of playing cards could conceal a map to safety, This is one thing that the OSS provided for the agents in case they needed to escape enemy lines.

d. I learned that the American spy agency was known as the OSS, which evolved in to the CIA which is in use today.

e. The SOE was the British Spy agency that specialized on espionage and sabotage.  The Abwehr was the German spy agency, but Hitler did not always trust the Abwehr so he created the Gestapo, a secret police force known for its violence, and torture, that they used on people when they needed them to confess something.

f. I also learned more about the holocaust and a story about how in Denmark when they heard news of Hitler coming to round up the Jews they sent, mostly all their Jews to Sweden so that they wouldn’t get captured. However at some point when Hitler went to Sweden to collect all the Jews the Danish Jews were found, but not sent to a concentration camp but a Terezin Ghetto in Czechoslovakia, which was not a death camp.  

g. I learned that after the war, 22 Nazi Germany’s leaders were charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity. Twelve were eventually sentenced to death in the Nuremberg Trials.

 

4. Language

a. In language today I learned how to describe what people are wearing here is what I am wearing today: Llevo vaqueros y camiseta azul y rosa sueter y botas café. I am wearing, a blue shirt, jeans, a pink sweater, and brown boots.

b. I learned how to name iteams of clothing in Spanish:

la camiseta

T-shirt

Pantalones

Pants

La faldda

Skirt

El abrigo

Coat

El vestido

Dress

Los zapatos

Shoes.

c. Now for the boys clothes:

la gorra

cap

la chaqueta

jacket

los vaqueros

jeans

el sueter

sweater

los calcetines

socks

las zapatillas

sneakers

d. I also learned how to say the alphabet in Spanish:

A B C CH D E F G H I J K L LL M N N O P Q R RR S T U V W X Y Z

e. That is Ah,, bay, say, chay, day, E, Effay

Hay, Echay, Ee, Hota, Ka, Ellay, A yay, Emmay, Ennay, En yay, Oh, Pay

Coup, Erray, Errrray, essay, Tay, Ooh!, Bay?, Doblay? Ooh!, A Kiss? E-gray-ga, Sata!

f. I learned that whenever you are talking on the phone in Spanish you say !Hola! Followed by Soy….

Hola, soy, Sofia.

Hello it’s Sophie

g. I learned that all items of clothing are either masculine or feminine. La falda, la vestido.

Skirt

And

Dress

5. Reading

a. In reading today I read a story about a very valuable baseball card. From what point of view is the article written? Third person.

b. Is the point of view omniscient or limited? Omniscient. This is because the reader “hears” the thoughts of both characters.

c. What is the first clue that the baseball card is valuable? When Mark tells himself that he has to keep his hand from shaking.

d. What is the old man’s worry about Mark? That he may not have enough money to pay for the card.

e. Describe Mark as a character: What are some of his main characteristics: He is knowledgeable, honest, and young.

f. Describe the old man: poor, worried, grateful (at the end.)

g.  How would this story be different if you were unable to read the thoughts of the characters? You would not know the value of the card or anything about the difficulty of Marks decision. You would also not know why the seller of the card needed the money or why.

6. Writing

a. In writing today I learned about story ideas. I also learned the difference between realistic stories and fantasy stories.

b. Realistic story Idea #1 : Characters: A southern family with a mother, a father, an older son, twin daughters, and a young boy.

Setting: In the Ozark Mountains of Missouri

Plot: This family lost all of their crops during the drought of the 1920’s and had to move west to California and try to fit in with all the glamour of the early ‘30s Hollywood.

c. Realistic story idea #2:

Characters: A retired football player and his wife

Setting: The city of Boston

Plot: When the New England football team starts going downhill, they hire this 80-year old coach to come and get the team into shape.

d. Realistic idea #3

Characters: A young British actress and her family

Setting: London 2000

Plot: This young girl is trying to make it big as a British actress but when their house burns down they have to work to try and earn a little extra money to pay for acting fees.

7. Voice

a. In voice today I practiced my songs for the audition using hand gestures and facial expressions.

b. I also practiced changing the tone of my voice depending on how the character was feeling at the point of the song. Like In “Wouldn’t it be Loverly” I sang the bridge in a hopeful voice because Eliza Doolittle is hoping for a better life.

c. When I sang, “Castle on a Cloud” I sang it in a pitiful voice kind of looking up at the ceiling like I was looking for my castle on a cloud and sad during the chorus and I was practicing decrescendo at the end.

d. We practiced controlling vibrato on, “Wouldn’t it be Loverly” because I guess I don’t notice it, but I do it on every half and whole note.

e. I learned how to play my warm-ups on piano and also I learned how to do them accapella so that I can do them right before I sing at my audition next weekend.   

f. I learned some mouth exercises to do before I sing too. Some of them include rolling my tongue, saying the vowels, and reciting sentences very staccato.

g. I think that I am really for my audition and that I know both of my songs really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment