Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 107


Day 107

History final project: Sophie will visit a WWII Veteran next week and conduct an interview.

Interview Questions:

1.       Who are you?

What is your full name? Where were you born and on what date? Are you married? Have you had any children?

2.       How old were you when World War II began.

What were yours and your family’s reaction to the Pearl Harbor attack?

3.       When did you enlist and what branch of the military did you fight in?

4.       What was your job in the war?

5.       Where did you fight? What theater?

6.       How did you feel on D-Day?

7.       How did you feel about the war then? How do you feel about the war now?

8.       Were you scared that another attack like Pearl Harbor would happen in your hometown?

9.       Where did you live at the time of the war?

10.   Why is World War II important? What, in your opinion, do you think is most important for me and students like me to understand/learn about World War II?

11.   What did you do after the war? How did you feel after the war?

Do you think it was fair or justified for Allied troops + planes to retaliate against Axis cities and civilians?

I do not think that it was right to go after Allied civilians and not the armies because the civilians were not the problem. However, I do understand why they would want to retaliate the Axis cities because the Axis powers did the same to London and Pearl Harbor. I don’t think that the Russians should’ve brutally murdered the civilians in German cities because they were too scared to go after German troops however, that’s what the Germans did to the Russians. So overall I have mixed feelings about it, yes it is very wrong, but I do understand the sense of getting back at someone for what they did to you.

                Today I started reading the book, Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson. I read the first two chapters which gave me a sense of the two characters Jesse and Leslie. They both are really good runners, they both have very active imaginations, and are the kind of people that don’t stand out in a crowd.
I also did Daily Spark today. In Shakespeare Daily Spark I had to write a scene that ended with, the phrase that Shakespeare coined, “good riddance.”

Sam: Marcus, you cheated off my paper today on the spelling test, you are shamed for life.

Marcus: How do you know this, Sam, what’s your proof?

Sam: Um, well… you sit behind me and can see my papers.

Marcus: Doesn’t mean that I looked at them

Sam: You liar! You are the worst person I have ever met! I demand that you tell the teacher because you cheated and….

Sam’s mother: Sam sweetie, time to come in!

Sam: Coming mom!

Marcus: Well that was a good riddance.

                I also learned about isolation in America after World War I and had to write three sentences about what I think some of the reasons American were so isolated:

I think that Americans were cautious about foreign affairs because World War I, was so awful and took so many lives that they did not want that to happen again, and knowing Europeans, they knew that it would. I think that another reason that Americans were cautious was because they didn’t want cities in their own country to be harmed like so many European cities were. The other reason I think, is because it was in the middle of the depression and they didn’t want the depression and a war to go on at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment