Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 105


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned                                March 6, 2013          Day 105

1.       Math

a. Today in math I worked with the Order of Operations again: Pandas eat mustard on dumplings and apples with spice

b. (7 x ½) x 2 =? Explain below:

c. To make this problem easier, I moved the parentheses over so it now looks like this: 7 x (1/2 x 2) I know that ½ x 2 = 1 so then I multiplied 7 x 1 to equal 7.

 (7 x ½) x 2 =?

d. -39 + (39 + 58) = 58 for this problem I knew that -39 and +39 would equal 0 so I assumed the answer was 58.

e. (9 x 2) x 5 = ?

f. For this problem above I changed the parentheses so it looks like this: 9 x (5 x 2) = ? I multiplied 5 x 2 to equal ten and multiplied it by 9. 9 x 2) x 5 = 90

g. 3 x (1/3 x 8) = 8

 

2. Science

a. Today in Science I learned about Samuel Pepys, one of England’s most famous writers, but he didn’t know it at the time he met Isaac Newton.

b. Pepys nickname was the “armchair scientist.”

c. Pepys became president of the Royal Society and came to bring Newton’s book Principia into publication.

d. Samuel Pepys created an eye witness account of how the city of London burned down in 1666.

e. Christopher Wren was another famous member of the Royal Society, Wren was a gifted mathematician, astronomer and architect.

f. Christopher Wren was one of the main architects that helped rebuild London after the great fire. 

g. Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke built the Great Fire monument that I saw in October.

3. History

a. For history today I watched a video documentary about the Normandy invasion.

b. I learned more about the three phase plans of Operation Overlord. The plan was that Canada would go to Juno beach, and Great Britain would go to Gold beach and Sword beach, and America would head to Omaha and Utah beach with their ships. At midnight they dropped their paratroopers inland and had them come from behind the enemy, while thousands of bombers bombed enemy targets, and then thousands and thousands of troops came in on the beaches and attacked the enemy, and making the enemy trapped.

c. The reason why the Normandy Invasion worked so well was because the Allied forces were able to trick Germany on the exact location of the invasion, so there were less troops on Normandy beaches then there were supposed to be because of the successful trick.

d. The battle of Omaha beach was the worst battle of D Day, everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. The bombers missed the targets so the men had no craters to hide in, and the water was much deeper than they anticipated. In total, at Omaha beach they lost 2,500 men differing immensely from the loss of 197 men on Utah beach. 

e. The Normandy Invasion was successful but it did have some drawbacks. Some of the paratroopers got lost and had to fight for much longer than they were supposed to.

f. The Omaha beach battle was successful at the end because the Americans improvised and used their tanks to shoot down Germans and create a path for the men to get by.

g. I learned that the Allies liberated Paris on August 25 1944.

 

4. Language

a. Today in Spanish I learned things you would say if you were at the doctors. “En el doctor”

At the Doctors.

b. To describe most illnesses in Spanish you use “Tengo dolor de” followed by the part of the body that is hurting. “Tengo dolor de cabeza” I’ve got a headache.

c. You can also use Tengo (I’ve got) followed by a noun without the word for “a” or “an”

Tengo tos. I’ve got a cough.

d. You can sometimes use the verb “Estoy” (I am) followed by an adjective

Estoy refriada.

e. You can also use “Me duele” (it hurts) followed by the part of the body that hurts. Me duele la pierna.

My leg hurts.

f. I learned that “?Que pasa?” means “What’s the matter. If I was at the doctors because I had broken my arm, I would say, “Tengo el brazo roto.” I think I’ve broken my arm.

g. Other expressions:

Tengo dolor de estomago. I’ve got a stomach ache.

Tiene dolor de garganta. She’s got a sore throat.

Me duele el pie. I’ve got a sore foot.

Tengo tos. I’ve got a cough.

5. Reading

a. In Reading today I read a story about a World War I soldier who wrote a letter back home to his mother.

b. From What point of view is this letter written? From the first person, the letter writer, Frank.

c. Choose three adjectives to describe Frank, and explain why you chose them: soldier, bored, and homesick.

d. I chose soldier because Frank explains that he was fighting against some Russians in France. I chose the adjective, “bored” because Frank says that he is bored guarding the stockpile and he is looking for some excitement. I chose “homesick” because in the letter Frank says that he misses Brad, and he said that “it gets lonely out here staring at nothing but snow.”

e. What words and phrases does Frank use to describe the white Russians? Frank says that they are heroic, and bravely fighting.

f. What words and phrases does Frank use to describe the Bolsheviks? He describes them as turncoats, and says that Lenin as them pretty well, “under his thumb.”

g. Write a brief description of the article in the third person point of view:

Frank is a soldier in World War I who has traveled from Archangel, to France, to Russia, and guards a stockpile all day. He says that he wishes to see more fighting, but we never find out what happens to Frank.

6. Writing

a. In writing today I thought about the difference between realistic storys and fantasy stories. Today I put in some ideas for fantasy stories:

Fantasy story idea #1

Characters: Reagan and Melissa

Setting: The city of Seattle, Washington

Plot: Melissa is a wizard, and when she was young she duplicated her and her family and sent them off to live their own completely separate lives, but when the two families meet, Melissa and Reagan (Reagan is Melissa’s duplicate) try desperately to keep their parents from meeting each other, and along the way, Melissa and Reagan become very good friends.

Fantast story idea #2

Characters: Matthew Bender and his father

Setting: 17th century England

Plot: Son of an evil sorcerer, Matthew struggles to find his calling and later falls in love with the enemy’s daughter, magical princess, Clara Devine.

Fantasy Story idea #3

Characters: Knight Edward

Setting: medieval England

Plot: Edward, a knight of the round table, gets lost on the way to Camelot and goes on a dangerous and heroic journey to get back to King Arthur. 

7. Music

Practice time—Voice, Piano, & Guitar—I hour total

No comments:

Post a Comment