Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 157


7 x7 Seven Subjects & 7 things I learned Day 157

1.       Math

a. In math today I used distributive property to simplify the expression.

b. I worked with coefficients, like terms, and distribution properties.

c. (-1) (-a) (-b) + -a/ (a)(-b) = -ab + 1/b

d. (-2)(-x)(y) + yz/y = 2xy + 2

e. -10(-a)/ (-5)ab = - 2/b

f. -9c (-d)/ 3d / c/(-2) = -6

g. I did these expressions assuming that the denominators equaled zero.

 

2. Science

a. Today in Science I learned about Energy from garbage. Which is an ongoing problem that there are landfills every year filled with tons of waste.

b. I learned that up to 90% of garbage that ends up in landfills each year could be recycled, reused, or composted.

c. 41% of the trash is paper, which could be recycled, or reused.

d. One way to tap into this energy source, is to use an energy source, a bioreactor located on a landfill can capture methane gas that the landfill creates and use it to make electricity.

e. About 60% of methane gas comes from human-created sources such as landfills. The rest comes from natural sources.

f. Bulldozers are used to crush and compress the waste at a landfill site; this makes it hard for bacteria to decompose the organic matter.

g. Bioreactors are machines that use waste as a resource; they capture methane gas released by rotting waste, in landfills and burn it into electricity.

3. History

a. I learned that the early Egyptian systems of measurements were based on the body of the Pharaoh.

b. A cubit was the length of his forearm, from the elbow to the tip of his middle finger. The width of his palm and four fingers together were also used. The problem with this system is that all human bodies are different.

c. When measuring grain the Egyptians used symbols based on the eye of the God Horus. A surveyor would draw Horus’s eyebrow to represent the fraction, 1/8, or the eyeball to represent the fraction, ¼.

d. Egyptians created a system of weights based on a single grain of wheat, later, some standard stones were used.

e. A mummy is a preserved body. The ancient Egyptians were interested in finding a way to preserve bodies so their souls could life forever in the afterlife. 

f. The process of mummification took 70 days; the wealthy Egyptians continued the practice of mummifying throughout the next 3,000 years.

g. First they would wash the body, then remove the brain, then remove the organs, then dry out the body, then do the initial wrapping of the body, and then the final wrapping.

 

4. Language

a. Gato esta dispuesto a luchar con espada, garras y dientes. Puss is ready to fight with his sword, claws, and teeth.

b. Pero a veces solo usa sus grandes, tristes y dulces ojos. But sometimes he uses his great, sad, and sweet eyes.

c. Shrek parte en busca de Arturo Pendragon. Shrek went on a search for Arthur Pendragon.

d. A Arturo tambien le dicen artie. Arthur is also called Artie.

e. Artie puede llegar a ser el proximo rey en lugar de Shrek. Arte can be the next king instead of Shrek.

f. Hay solo un problema Artie no quiere ser rey. But there was one problem; Artie didn’t want to be king.

g. Piensa que es mucho trabajo. He thinks it’s too much work.

5. Reading

a. I read three chapters of Kingdom Keepers.

b. The main characters are, Finn, Charlene, Wilma, Maybeck, and Philbsy they are DHI, Disney Host Interactive, or Daylight Holographic Industries, which is a new technology at Disney World where holographic videos of kids are put around the park as guides.  

c. Finn woke up in the middle of the night in the Magic Kingdom with an old Disney imagineer named Wayne who tells him the park, and the world outside of it is in danger.

d. The Villains of Disney, or the Overtakers have gathered up in the night of Disney when the park is closed, and intend to overtake the world.

6. Writing

a. In writing today I wrote a fake letter of complaint using the six parts of a complaint letter.

 

73 Weymouth Street

Brunswick, ME 04011

May 13, 2013

 

GameShack

421 Dartmouth Drive

Topsham, ME 04086

 

Dear GameShack,

I am returning the Xbox10, Which I purchased about a month ago. It is not functioning properly. Ever since I bought it every time I turned it on it would die and it won’t charge.

 

According to your product guarantee I have the right to either repair or replace this unit, I would prefer that you replace this unit with a similar or the same model.

Thank you,

Sophie Calderwood

 

7. Voice

a. I loved all of the lessons of Voice that I had and definitely learned so much that helped my singing immensely.

b. This week we worked on some jazz like songs like “Somewhere over the Rainbow” and “Someone to watch over me”


c. I also learned so many great warm-ups that I can do whenever I want.

d. All of the great techniques she taught me I can put into my singing for MSMT.

e. I learned so much in piano too, that I can play at least three full songs and learn new songs because I know the chords.

f. I will keep working on my piano book and try to work on the scales as much as I can.

g. I really think that Stephanie has helped me so much with my Voice, so muich that I feel comfortable singing almost anything now, and so I just wanted to Thank her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment